How to get good dynamics in phono stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Seriously? I have a 38 year old tonarm that used carbon fibre. They could grind things to silly tolerances in the early 70s. I would argue that record replay technology has gone backwards rather than forwards. No advances I can see in last 40 years.

Well this is only my opinion. I don't want to defend an opinion based on listening to many records on only 2 old turntables, DUAL 622 or look alike, and some noresco. They both had Ortofon cartridges and the sound was terrible, trashy.

I doubt your tonearm has a carbon fiber head, maybe the body is carbon fiber or plastic.

Doesn't matter too much as long as it is rigid and damping vibrations.

Solid thick unibody tubes is the key. I doubt the tonearms of 70s 80s with plastic headshell and tiny arm diameters in shinny metal is going to sound better than the new tonearms.

Vinyl had to compete with the cds after the 1990 and had to sound as clean, with better sound attributes. To me, it is clear that vinyl has attained or surpassed digital music. Even I know, that masters are cut with a DAC signal with high feedback :eek:

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I doubt your tonearm has a carbon fiber head, maybe the body is carbon fiber or plastic.
Why do you doubt it?
Solid thick unibody tubes is the key. I doubt the tonearms of 70s 80s with plastic headshell and tiny arm diameters in shinny metal is going to sound better than the new tonearms.
You match the arm to the mass and compliance of your cartridge. A high compliance cartridge is going to work better in a stiff low mass arm and a low compliance in a still heavier arm. Confusing fashion with the requirements to work properly will cause issues! And shiny titanium nitride is good.

Vinyl had to compete with the cds after the 1990 and had to sound as clean, with better sound attributes. To me, it is clear that vinyl has attained or surpassed digital music. Even I know, that masters are cut with a DAC signal with high feedback :eek:
I don't agree with a single thing in this last paragraph so best I don't say anything.

Seriously? I have a 38 year old tonarm that used carbon fibre. They could grind things to silly tolerances in the early 70s. I would argue that record replay technology has gone backwards rather than forwards. No advances I can see in last 40 years.

Ditto. And now you pay for tighter tolerances and most manufacturers dont want to. It takes away from the marketing budget.

Poor man's Minus K

Except perhaps in suspension/isolation. There was nothing approaching the MinusK tech with a 0.5Hz resonance 40 years ago. Then again, no one would have paid the price for that either.

Not so. 45 years ago I built a turntable stand that didn't exactly use Minus K technology, but accomplished the same thing:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=667460&stc=1&d=1520638294

It's essentially an inverted MacPherson strut pendulum. Resonance was ~1Hz. Detailed construction notes are here:

Seismic Turntable Platform - Stops a Train

and include parts sources. It was built with a hacksaw and drill - no special machining. Didn't know what a Minus K was or if it even existed, but that didn't stop me from building my own. Puts the Diy in Audio. :D

Ray K

Attachments

• 2 tt stand view.jpg
    2 tt stand view.jpg
    442.8 KB · Views: 131
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Ray: Once again lovely work.

I should also point readers to the Denon DP-100 From 1981 as an example of OTT isolation. Not sure when people started doing holograms for fun at home, but that must have been early 80s, usually with Truck tyres and concrete slabs for isolation. Certain electron microscopes have been around since the 50s so solutions to vibration isolation are nothing new.

For some reason CF always sounds a bit too overdamped and polite to me.

You are right. It is very 'hifi' not wild like metal tonearms or aluminum ones. They are good at detailing the music layers, enables the following of individual instruments and spatial stability.

Still it is not overdamped and polite as the digital dac's :)

I know people pay higher prices for aluminum Japanese tonarms.

Dear friends of the forum.
In these 274 statements on my original question, I have learned a lot and I thank all of you.
Many related topics have been touched upon. From the "dynamic range", passing through precision RIAA; Master tape; sound engineer; listen "live"; weak link of the audio chain; arm-capsule resonance; psychoacoustic; if digital or analog music is better; etc.
The conclusion I have reached: I have a modest audio system with the weakest link that is the turntable; I still like to listen analogically on digital (Marantz cd player CD5400); I understand that it is impossible to reproduce the original sound because it has been manipulated by the sound-recording engineer; that the phono preamplifier has many imperfections difficult to perfect and I suppose that the preamps that best sound to our ears, must have some "electronic deception" to make it more pleasant, for there are so many designs of them; and finally, I understand that psychoacoustics and personal predisposition play a lot in the taste of the sound of an audio system, as well as the listening room and the arrangement of the acoustic boxes.
As I see that it is impossible to adjust these factors to doos, I am left with what my brain likes.
I come to the conclusion that HI END is a big lie, since the first link in the chain is the recording of the master tape. And this can be very good or very bad.
Finally I will buy online a turntable Pro Ject Debut Carbon DC Spirit SB (60% more for import taxes). With a little more effort I can get to a Marantz TT-15S1.
And for now I'll listen to the phono preamplifier VSPS400 from RJM, which is what I like best.
Greetings and I will continue to learn from you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.