how to estimate transformer sag under load

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
IMHO a resistor load on the secondary of a transformer and another after a rectifier/filter combo drawing the same power produces different heating effects....

If we get technical about words, you are talking apples and oranges. You say "drawing the same power". If you mean the power dissipated in a straight resistor vs. the power consumed at the DC load, then you can't compare the two. You haven't taken into account rectification ratio.

Regardless if the load is straight resistor or rectifier/capacitor, when you measure the true-rms of the SECONDARY WINDING CURRENT, heat loss will be identical for all practical purposes.

I suspect Tony and zigzagflux are saying the same thing in different ways.

Put a resistor straight onto a transformer secondary so it dissipates 10W. The transformer will dissipate, say, 0.5W. Now remove the resistor, add a rectifier and cap plus another resistor chosen so it also dissipates 10W. The transformer will now dissipate more, perhaps 1-2W. The two resistors will probably have different values.

I suspect Tony and zigzagflux are saying the same thing in different ways.

Put a resistor straight onto a transformer secondary so it dissipates 10W. The transformer will dissipate, say, 0.5W. Now remove the resistor, add a rectifier and cap plus another resistor chosen so it also dissipates 10W. The transformer will now dissipate more, perhaps 1-2W. The two resistors will probably have different values.

thanks for elaborating, that's exactly my point....one day i am going to do experiments to find out by how much....

By the way, thanks for posting the link to this thread. I spent a couple of hours last night reading through it. It gave me lots of things to think about!

Cheers,

-Charlie

here is one more, this is from the National Semiconductors' AUDIO/RADIO handbook circa 1980, chapter 6....
1. Good Regulation means wCRl ~ 10
2. Low Ripple may mean wCRl > 40
3. High efficiency may mean wCRl < 0.02
4. Low cost usually meand low surge current and small C
5. Good transformer untilization means low VA ratings, best with full-wave bridge FWB circuit, followed by full wave center tap FWCT circuit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.