How to convert to mains power Halogen Lamp??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do I need a voltage suppressor or similar for a mains power direct Halogen lamp?

I don't think I am getting the adequate light through an LCD screen installed on an old OHP, so Im looking at cheap modifications to increase the light capacity.
Originally it has a 250W 24V halogen lamp of 10,000 lm , though I am rewiring the lamp socket directly to mains power, 240V, so that I can use a 500W or 650W 240V Halogen bulb inside.
This should give 15 000 to 20 000 lm, which, if it doesn't melt anything, should be great.

My problem is, being a novice electrician, I am not sure whether voltage surges will be a problem with this direct halogen to mains power set-up, Will the lamp need a 'transient voltage suppression diode' or something to prevent a surge of power over what the bulb is rated?

I have heard that halogen filaments are particularly sensitive to surges, particularly at higher voltages.

Looking at the original wiring diagram, the only thing between the transformer and the lamp is a Thermo-switch which cuts power at 90C, but then this circuit is only 24V, so it might have different rules.

I have looked for OHP's using 240V lamps, so I can check their users manual for a wiring diagram but haven't found any. Strange, since there are catalogues of replacement 240V projector lamps

(on another level, Do u reckon I will be able to use this 24V thermoswitch at 240V?)

Anyone have suggestions?
appreciate any help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.