How to control the cooling fan ... ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,
don´t know who else could give solid tips when not YOU ...

My problem: I am using a Nemic Lambda SMPS 32 V / 10 A with very pleased
results but the cooling fan works everytime. At lower listening levels its really disturbing. Either it should be cut off or replaced by a temperature regulated cooling fan. But how ... ?

I see two possible reactions of the SMPS when the fan is cut off :
1) the SMPS doesn´t work from the beginning because it´s monitored
2) the SMPS shuts down after a specific temperature

The amp has about 2 x 40 Watts (max. power)

I can upload pictures if someone wants make a look. Any suggestions ... ?

I do not know about Nemic Lambda SMPS 32 V / 10 A. But if you want to make your power supply temperature dependent, you can do that by using current source IC... ie LM234... as a temp sensor to drive an opamp then some leftover output transistor to drive a cooling fan. You might want to keep Vs of fan circuit close to fan's rated voltage in case of output transistor failure. Hope this help

Thanks much to all. As I am a newbee and need really solid help from experienced diy people I offer you some pics. God damnn - what´s that. Is this the reason why I am listening to better audio level ??

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Maybe soemone identifies the fan supplier and the shematic of the SMPS. It´s really
complicated for me, an I don´t want make bad and dangerous things.

Last edited:
A friend of mine is working on a 12-15v, 35A digitally programmable power supply for a small DC power system. At light load, the fans would use enough power to significantly decrease efficiency. To solve that problem, his current solution is a circuit that only turns on the fans at load. One fan on above about 5A, speed controlled by temperature, both fans on maximum above about 20A. The second fan will also turn on at maximum if the first fan fails to provide a watchdog signal for some redundancy.

I had a similar problem on a Nemic-Lambda 24v 340W SMPS. The fan was 12v still far to noisy. I removed it and placed 2 x12v in series which span slower and was a lot quieter. With heavy loads the thermal cutout used to flip though. You should be able to see the thermal switch next to one of the transistors on the heatsink. Ended up replacing it with a Meanwell which has a thermally regulated fan.

col.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.