How to construct grills?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
do you get moulding strips in your part of the world. here in India we get ready made moulding strips (half round, quarter round, all sorts of shapes). by the foot.

U cna use these strips to make a grill frame and then wrap some nice acoustically transparent cloth around it. I use a staple gun to do this.

hope the photo helps

regards
navin

Attachments

• both channels.jpg
    both channels.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 338
Wow, I feel honoured to have my thread replied to by so many of the stalwarts of the forum. There is a lot of experience here. Thank you everyone for taking the time to help me with this.

Navin,

Thank you very much for that excellent suggestion. Easy, yet would give a nice and hard rounded outside edge to the grill. I may give that one a try as well. I have a just a wee bit of extra grill cloth laying around. (ok, enough for many paris of these things...)

Bill,

While I agree that, for these speakers it likely does not matter so much, I am trying to gain some beneficial experience for my next project as well. If I can't get a nice grill on this project, how am I to expect to get a nice grill on my next project. Thank you for your very helpfull suggestions thus far.

In your opinion, how would you build a grill for the least sonic degradation given that most speaker kits do not specify a grill and therefore are likely not voiced to compensate for the presence of a grill of any type. What kind of spacing from driver edge to grill structure edge is acceptable, and what kind of material would you recommend for use in building a grill frame. Does the contour of the inside edge of the grill frame make a difference and if so, what contour would be best?

From everyone, is it then almost consensous that the stamped or perforated metal grills are not the most desirable from a sonic perspective? I had at one time though of using these in front of each driver but now am rethinking that.

Thanks,

Craig

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
C Schelp said:
From everyone, is it then almost consensous that the stamped or perforated metal grills are not the most desirable from a sonic perspective? I had at one time though of using these in front of each driver but now am rethinking that.

I always worry about them ringing. When i was doing ProPA i used to give these things a coat of puzzlecoat which helped.

BTW, where in BC are you?

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.