How to build an exceptional Phono Cable cheap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
SY- I can't believe you are a moderator on this site. You are the kind of Troll that keeps lurkers lurking with your snide remarks.
When I worked at Best Buy we had guys that mocked Amazon and said they would never amount to anything.
We had guys that mocked the solid core wires from Audio Quest over the stranded Monster cables.
We had guys that mocked the impact online stores would have on the big giant that was Best Buy.
We had one word for them later... unemployed!

Hard to tell without finding the published reports, but Monster seems to be in rude health as a company, so not sure what your point is?

BTW you do understand how moderation works? It's like clark kent/superman. A moderator has to power up to moderate. If there is no 'cop hat' icon then they are just normal people, well as normal as they get on this site.

I for one welcome the fact that, when in 'clark kent' mode the mods can be as curmudgeonly as they want.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
What return path. Music is AC. The "return path" switches wires thousands of times per second. This is total stupidity.

You're right about the AC switching 'direction' all the time, but 'return path' is a genuine term that makes sense. Every signal wire carries a signal with reference to something. You can't have say '5 volts' at at wire - it is always '5 volts with respect to a reference' (most times ground).

So every signal connection has two nodes or two wires. One that has the signal with respect to the reference, and the other is the reference itself.

Ever since whats-his-name formulated his current laws we know that whatever current goes on the signal line, the same current must come back to the reference. The wire connecting to the reference is commonly called the return wire.

Edit - 'Twas Kirchhoff of course. Alzheimer-lite moment...

Jan

Last edited:
If you don't want to make the cable don't- no one is holding a gun to your head.
I also put that you could purchase the same wire from your own country at Partsconnexion... perhaps you missed that.
I was trying to show guys how to build a nice cable. No good deed goes unpunished here on the DIY forum.
Have any of you tried it? Have any of you listened to it.
That is like me saying that a Tesla auto is junk without ever driving it.
I am unsubscribing from this thread as it is impossible to argue with someone that is jaded and has already make up their mind.

My preamp has no ground pin on the power cord. So on a balanced source like a cartridge what's the difference. Signal wire, return wire is just semantics. There labels. Electricaly the cartridges sees both sides identically. And swapping sides does nothing but change phase. With balanced lines a mismatch in wire actual does harm. It reduces the common mode rejection. And it doesn't take much of a mismatch. Bill Whitlock at Jensen transformers has a paper on this.

If you don't want to make the cable don't- no one is holding a gun to your head.
I also put that you could purchase the same wire from your own country at Partsconnexion... perhaps you missed that.
I was trying to show guys how to build a nice cable. No good deed goes unpunished here on the DIY forum.
Have any of you tried it? Have any of you listened to it.
That is like me saying that a Tesla auto is junk without ever driving it.
I am unsubscribing from this thread as it is impossible to argue with someone that is jaded and has already make up their mind.

If you want to argue against well known physics principles have some ammo. Some measurements, a real listening test, some proven physical phenomenon. Anything but a bunch of opinion and here say. We aren't here for a fight. We are here for the truth, which needs proof, especially if it flies in the face of reason.

Hi,

Whatever. Making decent cables is not rocket science.

Claiming yout party to some voodoo beyond the
rest of us, is simply that, and not very interesting.

With some reasonable care, it is very difficult to make a bad cable.
(Anything better than a good cable is mainly mumbo-jumbo.)

Not impossible though. I fixed a pair of highly rated Chord
interconnects for a friend, with a serious case of sounding bad.
(I was surprised, they clearly sounded very poor compared
to something pretty basic I brought to compare them to.)
Turned out to be due to bad corrosion of unsoldered
compression joints in the "high quality" plugs, that
clearly were not meant to be soldered, fine new.
(I managed to solder them and let them still work.)

rgds, sreten.

FWIW I've built / replaced quite a few turntable cables.
Its not difficult to improve poor cables and wiring.
It is difficult to improve on the (cheap) cables I built
suitably for purpose for the various decks qualities.

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
My preamp has no ground pin on the power cord. So on a balanced source like a cartridge what's the difference. Signal wire, return wire is just semantics. There labels. Electricaly the cartridges sees both sides identically. And swapping sides does nothing but change phase. With balanced lines a mismatch in wire actual does harm. It reduces the common mode rejection. And it doesn't take much of a mismatch. Bill Whitlock at Jensen transformers has a paper on this.

I said 'most times it is ground'. Your mains cord has TWO wires - the 'phase' (like 'the signal') and 'the neutral' which is the return. Always TWO wires. That's the thing.

Jan

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
How about we cut the OP some slack? He has presented a clear idea of his goals and a clear explination of the method used to build the wire. That is far more than most people on this forum do.

Yes, we need to express our concerns over important issues like shielding, capacitance, tribo-electric effects and so on. Those are very important for phono leads. However, scorn, sarcasm and general nastiness do little to further the case.

If you want people who do not understand how cables work to learn something, sarcasm and derision do little to strengthen your case. In fact I would say it erodes your credibility. State your concerns with the design, the goals, the construction. Tell us what you consider important in a phono lead and why. Leave the snide remarks out of it.

Thank you.

You did notice that he was selling them? That decreases the slack considerably. The spread of ignorance in the service of commerce is something that all of us ought to vigorously resist.

As I understand it, this thread was clearly intended as a marketing exercise aimed at familiarisation of readers with the concept and product benefit (subjective) claims for a product yet to be launched. In other words a sales tool.

That certain details have been withheld by the OP indicates that the real objective of posting is no more than a blatant attempt to lay a (mythical/typical?) foundation for a future sales launch rather than as a worthwhile contribution to the DIY cable-builder.

If I my understanding is correct then this thread needs be removed to the commercial section of the site.

In this specific instance my usual cynicism regarding SY's criticisms is reserved - a bit like the Christmas football games played in no-man's- land.;)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Wire Nut is (or will be) selling cables. He is not selling these cables.

Generally, diyAudio does allow discussion of a commercial project has long as clear instructions are included about how to Do It Yourself. That is the case here. It is a long standing practice on this forum.

I said 'most times it is ground'. Your mains cord has TWO wires - the 'phase' (like 'the signal') and 'the neutral' which is the return. Always TWO wires. That's the thing.

Jan

Don't get your point. Of course 2 wires , current needs a loop. The mains is a bad example. It's not a balanced source like Aw cartridge. Now put a transformer across the mains and look at the transformer output. Wich lead is neutral ? Neither, the 2 leads are interchangeable (except for phase). And so it makes no sense to make one wire different than the other.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Wire Nut is (or will be) selling cables. He is not selling these cables.

Generally, diyAudio does allow discussion of a commercial project has long as clear instructions are included about how to Do It Yourself. That is the case here. It is a long standing practice on this forum.

so when he says
[Disclaimer: This is a basic version of the cable that I will be offering on Cryo-Parts.com I do a little extra voodoo on mine that bring the performance up a notch, I am not sharing that - as my secret sauces would not be secret anymore]
is that clear instructions? I'm interested in knowing where the line is?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.