How to build a 21st century protection board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm making some progress on the Control board. I still need to swap a few parts. This is on a 3" x 3" board and still plenty of space. I'm going to add connectors for all the analogue inputs. There will likely be some smaller resistors in a few places too.

On the Arduino Uno board they used a SMT crystal with integrated caps on the Atmega328 and a through hole crystal and separate caps for the USB IC. They are both the same frequency. I've been trying to figure out why? The SMT one is a much easier package to route.

Attachments

• Protection Borad.PNG
    Protection Borad.PNG
    436.6 KB · Views: 269
I have finally started assembling the amp in the case.
This is the PSU and the control board - earlier version with the large PCB and mechanical relays (I just had it already soldered some time ago).

Everything works perfectly.

Now the biggest problem is to drill the heatsinks precisely enough...

Attachments

• DSC03859.JPG
    DSC03859.JPG
    308.9 KB · Views: 268
  • DSC03860.JPG
    DSC03860.JPG
    291.8 KB · Views: 253
  • DSC03861.JPG
    DSC03861.JPG
    296.4 KB · Views: 246
  • DSC03863.jpg
    DSC03863.jpg
    980.3 KB · Views: 244
  • DSC03864.JPG
    DSC03864.JPG
    289.7 KB · Views: 179
I'm making some progress on the Control board. I still need to swap a few parts. This is on a 3" x 3" board and still plenty of space. I'm going to add connectors for all the analogue inputs. There will likely be some smaller resistors in a few places too.

On the Arduino Uno board they used a SMT crystal with integrated caps on the Atmega328 and a through hole crystal and separate caps for the USB IC. They are both the same frequency. I've been trying to figure out why? The SMT one is a much easier package to route.

SMT rules! :)
Yeah, strange about the crystals...

This is the PSU and the control board - earlier version with the large PCB and mechanical relays (I just had it already soldered some time ago).

Drilling the heat sinks is the easy part for me. There must be someone in your area with a milling machine. It's nice not having to custom fit all the holes after drilling.:D

Looks like a neat amplifier in the making. Dual monoblocks, You don't mess around! What is this going to be?

Looks like a neat amplifier in the making. Dual monoblocks, You don't mess around! What is this going to be?

I'm planning to use CF-FET V2 front-ends with separate Shuntie for each channel, in combination with 5-pair MOSFET Slewmasters. Excellent current delivery capability, when required, for example, when at some frequencies the speaker impedance goes down ;)

Cool , join the crowd .... :)

That's how I started , with the power supply / arduino control.
Drilling the heatsinks (without a drill press), was the "hairpulling" part.

Center them output stages , multiple pairs like equal dissipation -
no "hot spots".

OS

so this one has the serial-usb converter built in ?

PS - I'm so surprised the whole "solid state" crowd has NOT broken
down the door to get these projects , they are so reliable and light years
ahead of any Ebay /present project !!! Very good work , Jeff !! :eek:
os

I3 is the USB interface.

I've been having some issues reflowing with these Chinese boards so I hand soldered this one. No fun!:mad:

I'm not sure why people are using the Ebay stuff either. These things work great. The programming might be scaring some off but you just dump it on and go. No real skills required.

While researching the ISP cable I figured out we can interface an Arduino directly to the ISP connection and do all the programming through that. No USB required really. If we want to interface this with another front end, we can do that serial through the ISP port as well. I'm learning lots about these as I try new designs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.