How strong does the box need to be?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Your new design is much more better than the first one.

Here's an idea to use more bracing, then cross-braces and else...

Attachments

• bracing.jpg
    bracing.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 253
Alright.. Well it looks like I'll probably use that last design I drew up. I keep trying different things, and I'm not liking the results. I'll be constructing out of Baltic Birtch Plywood except for the rear port piece and the braces (I'm a cheap bastard). I'm also limiting myself to these materials as this is what we have at my workplace, so I can get them at a reasonable price.

As for using the presision ports from Parts Express, I can get them locally for about $44 Canadian including taxes. But I don't know if I want to spend 90 bucks on a few pieces of plastic.

OK... Final design is complete, and I'll be building it on Friday. Laquering will probably be done another day as I'm sure there will be enough cussing for one night. The only downer is that I measured the BB plywood we have at work, and it's .574 inches thick, or 14.45 mm. I'll still be using this, but I'll probably resin the interior sometime soon. The braces and the long piece of the port will be 3/4" MDF to save on costs.

HT4.jpg

HT41.jpg

HT42.jpg

For the record, the bottom brace will be lower than that.. The program just doesnt want to let me move it.

That looks much better, but looking at it I can see a few things I would do differently. For your consideration...

1: The braces in the cavity behind the driver I would make more like a multipane window and add one or two vertical braces joining them all together in both planes.
2: When in use I would have the port mouth, AND the driver as close to the floor as possible.
3: I have a gut hunch, and others may care to comment, that the bracing in the port may be better with regular large axial opeings between sections to make it more of a reinforced one piece port with braces, rather than acting as 4 seperate ports.

Cheers

I got the woofer from Saskatoon's Audio Express... For a brief while they were the Western Canadian distributor for RE Audio.

Then RE Audio pretty much **** the bed, and won't talk to anyone from Canada. Apparently at the World Finals for DB Drag, another store I know talked directly to RE and was told that they would start supplying him with equipment again, but they've stopped responding to his emails. Another fellow I know needed a recone for an RE SX12 and simply could not get ahold of them.

well I've only had limited time to play with it so far, but I've watched a few scenes from Cars, and Team America: World Police.

I have to say that it's simply... Overwhelming.

the couch shakes wuite frequently when the real lows come in. I'm scared to really crank it just because I havn't warned the people living in the basement suite yet. I'm not sure if they have valuables on the walls :p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.