• 61 - 70

Votes: 123 20.2%
  • 71 - 80

Votes: 25 4.1%
  • 81 onwards

Votes: 2 0.3%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Nice to see so many people participating in this poll. Yet, few members below 30 is not a good sigh to grow this forum.

I find most of us here concentrate in audio related projects but what do young people (below 30) need nowadays? I don't have a clue and I leave it to the forum owner to figure it out. What about robots? What about gyro control?

What about a more lively car audio subforum?

20-somethings LOVE car audio!

Hence the reason why I've been participating in there, to bolster interest.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
@venusfly

I've survived some serious health challenges in recent years which has perhaps changed my perspective a bit, but I can think of very few things that are worth punching someone over, certainly not margarine. I don't like margarine much, but butter comes with its own set of serious animal welfare and potential hygiene issues, this often isn't the product of some big hearted family farmer who treats his animals well.

My wife is Vegan and has given up a lot of foods she loved because she is concerned about animal welfare. The consequence for me is that I probably eat healthier as a result. There are a few accommodations like milk for my cereal and stuff for sandwiches, but I eat fully Vegan about 20% of the time and about 40% of time vegetarian.

I was only joking about the punching stuff, I'm not a puncher, in fact my body recoils at the suggestion of doing so.

Do you realise however that by abstaining from animal products you are putting farm animals out of a job? If a farmer doesn't care for cows and milk them or use them for making beef they will no longer exist because they won't have a reason to be around anymore.

The price of land isn't cheap and if everybody were to go vegan the cow would go extinct.

No the best method of being concerned about animal welfare would be to choose a product which only ensures that meat only comes from the oldest of cows so therefore the cow experiences a long full life before it goes to the slaughterhouse. And as for milk there are most definately free range options available.

There are milk farms here which produce an exceedingly fatty milk product which is nothing more nothing less than straight milk from the cow. It comes in a glass jug too. Mum loves it. I see stars whenever I drink it but I do it occasionally anyway because its so creamy.

Last edited:
When I was young I was busy with life doing things, going places, starting a family, etc.
My hobbies took a backseat, now that I'm older I have more time and money to put into my hobbies.

I've always enjoyed music whether it was playing on a cheap radio or a nice sound system it was always
about the music. As we grow older we tend to appreciate the finer things a bit more than in our youth.
(Probably because we have experienced the differences enough to understand the differences better.)

For me it is a combination of finally having the time to build, a place to build (a workshop in my house)
the funds to spend, and an idea of what it is I'm trying to achieve (the sound I'm looking for).
Plus the patience to work on a project, and the wisdom to know when to set it down and come back to it.

I'm 62 and been tinkering for about 25 years. I have no electronics knowledge save for that which I have learnt that has enabled me to build Gainclones P2P, make power supplies, tweak components etc etc. It has been both a satisfying and at times frustrating journey.

I was only joking about the punching stuff, I'm not a puncher, in fact my body recoils at the suggestion of doing so.
Do you realise however that by abstaining from animal products you are putting farm animals out of a job? If a farmer doesn't care for cows and milk them or use them for making beef they will no longer exist because they won't have a reason to be around anymore. .
I hope you are joking again, animals don't need jobs, and we only do because of the screwed up world we live in

I hope you are joking again, animals don't need jobs, and we only do because of the screwed up world we live in

Wow, that's quite an attitude. IMHO it's myopic, while we are constantly being bombarded with crap news about local politics, international relations, and global warming, isn't just about every proposed metric to measure humankind's well being rising monotonocally upwards?

Disabled Account
Joined 2017

That is the ideal scenario however we do not live in an ideal scenario so therefore the reality of the situation is that we would make them go extinct if we all decided to become vegan.

In reality there needs to be a tapering off of animal products which use cruel and inhumane treatment and a rising up of more humane and natural methods of obtaining our food(s).

But that is expensive and is contradictory to economics. When you deal with natural systems there should always be a gradual tapering off and gradual rising of a newer better solution.

Except in the case of global warming, that stuff is really slam on the brakes and pull the emergency kind of stuff. But even then you still need to take into account all of the people who would be out of a job, so you still need to take into account a gradual shift and not a sudden one.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Its odd we complain about inhumane treatment.
But surely ending their life before they are old is also inhumane ?

Yeah, I said that. Hence why meat sourced from cows should come from old cows, not middle-aged.

No the best method of being concerned about animal welfare would be to choose a product which only ensures that meat only comes from the oldest of cows so therefore the cow experiences a long full life before it goes to the slaughterhouse. And as for milk there are most definately free range options available.

Then again I'm not entirely sure that the cows brain is able to experience the full range of what life has to offer. Still it sits calmly with most people.

Wow, that's quite an attitude. IMHO it's myopic, while we are constantly being bombarded with crap news about local politics, international relations, and global warming, isn't just about every proposed metric to measure humankind's well being rising monotonocally upwards?

Upwards to what??
Btw, I'm 39 and I see that am among the young members. This is not so good :(

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...subterfuges including eyejusters (from the UK)....

In the US we can buy "AdLens Work Glasses". $20-up. Same idea. Turn a knob for a (approximate) change of focal distance. Hit me right in the eye because I had good vision at 13" naked, and good vision past 4 feet with specs, but there were odd corners (especially in my tractor) in the Forbidden Zone between.

The sliding lens scheme always has astigmatism, can't be perfectly sharp. However the residual blur can be much smaller than an uncorrected focus-distance error.

...and stacked readers (surprisingly effective)....

Done that for small stuff. It is just additive. If you like a +1.5 with a +2.0, just get a +3.5. A "normal" eye can focus for distance yet see well at 11 inches with a +3.5. This is similar to normal working distance for 9-pins and DIPs. If you are a bit far-sighted you may want another D stronger. +4 readers are available, and stacked +4 gets you to 5 inches, but at that point other optics ("microscopes") become more practical.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
..... I have to take my glasses off to see close up....

Just means you are near-sighted. Probably born that way.

All my life, I could see great at 13 inches. By focusing I could resolve the end of my nose. But across the room was blurry. I thought that was natural. School eye screening sent me for glasses. Now I could see far great, and could still see at 13" (reading distance) with specs on.

By 30 I was losing my accommodation; happens to everybody. I started taking specs off to read (or use calculator (LED)).

By 50 the in-between was so great, yet so necessary (computer monitors) that I owned Driving and Office specs. Driving was just shy of corrected for infinity. Office was bifocals corrected for 36" in top and 18" bottom: monitor (at 24") and keyboard (12"). I could see "good" across 10 feet, "less good" down the 20' length of my office (easy enough to walk over), but as soon as I left the building I was reminded to go back for my driving glasses.

I bet you recognize much of my story in your experience. But wait, there's more.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.