• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How much spl can a triode take?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just curious, *if* you have the over 6000W system you say you have, what do you want a 10W system for?

Headphones!

Given some guitar amplifiers have the valves just above the speaker then its unlikely you will have any problems.

The OP stated "triode" then mentioned "It really feels like it would break the filaments". It is not clear if he was referring to a DHT, or a conventional indirectly heated triode.

I know of no commercial guitar amps that use any DHT. A DHT could be damaged by excessive bass, especially anything with a thoriated filament like a 211 or 833A. That and the utter impracticialty of it all are the reasons I never assembled the 200 watt SET guitar amp I breadboarded about 6 years ago.

I'm guessing that a quality 6550 or KT88 triode wired would survive, as stated they survive in bass guitar rigs sitting on top of a speaker cabinet that is eating all 400 watts that 6 KT88's can make. I'm guessing that a Chinese 300B would eventually die, but that happens without the big bass shaker table!

he had speakers the size of freezers that he said had 24" woofers. I think they were electrovioce if im not mistaken

EV made a 30 inch woofer as far back as the early 70's. It was most often used in church organs.

I hope one day to own a system that's so good it makes me run from my house.

The 125 WPC versions of Petes "Engineers Amplifier" cranked through 15 inch coaxial speakers with 96db efficiency can do that. I opened the house windows, put a Depeche Mode CD in the player, cranked it to 11 then went outside to mow my lawn. I did not hear the lawnmower!

Fine.
But then I don't get why you would bother to even turn the 10W amp on, alongside a 2KW RMS amplifier.
Talk about a drop in the ocean.

And if you use it with the 2KW system OFF, where's the problem?

By the way, and as a reality check, driving with a tube amp in the trunk , or even sending tubes by mail, will subject said tubes to *much* higher G forces .... yet tubes usually stand such ordeal.

Headphones!

The OP stated "triode" then mentioned "It really feels like it would break the filaments". It is not clear if he was referring to a DHT, or a conventional indirectly heated triode.

I know of no commercial guitar amps that use any DHT. A DHT could be damaged by excessive bass, especially anything with a thoriated filament like a 211 or 833A. That and the utter impracticialty of it all are the reasons I never assembled the 200 watt SET guitar amp I breadboarded about 6 years ago.

I'm guessing that a quality 6550 or KT88 triode wired would survive, as stated they survive in bass guitar rigs sitting on top of a speaker cabinet that is eating all 400 watts that 6 KT88's can make. I'm guessing that a Chinese 300B would eventually die, but that happens without the big bass shaker table!

EV made a 30 inch woofer as far back as the early 70's. It was most often used in church organs.

The 125 WPC versions of Petes "Engineers Amplifier" cranked through 15 inch coaxial speakers with 96db efficiency can do that. I opened the house windows, put a Depeche Mode CD in the player, cranked it to 11 then went outside to mow my lawn. I did not hear the lawnmower!

I know nothing of tubes at all, they just look really fragile is all. I want to learn, that's why i'm here. I'm no expert on anything, just a guy with a dream.

Let's get this straight, I have enough low end and high end to blow a concert away, do I always use that capability, no. It depends on the song and my mood. I can talor it to suit my needs at any given monent. 10wpc, on these speakers alone will make your ears ring for hours. The subs are the ones with 1000w a piece amps. That's class d or who knows what. They peak at 3200 a pop. They are sick twisted and maybe as insane as I used to be. Thank god there in a concrete basement, if they were on the top floor and I built a special room for brand new khorns (my dream speakers) I would probably get killed by the roof falling on me, and that is where the truth is. It's not about the power you have it's how you use it, plain and simple. I hope this helps. Do yourself a favor and spend $3400 on 2 of those beasts and let me know the damage. Heck buy 10..

Last edited:
I think that DHT's would survive just fine with extreme bass. I run a pair of Altec Lansing 1570B amplifiers with 811A output tubes which have the Thoriated filaments George spoke of becoming brittle. These amps are located VERY near my Fi BTL 18" sub in a sealed box and yes, it will shake, rattle and roll. I have broken the clock (shaken off the wall).

I recently rebuilt those 1570 Amps and updated the cosmetics some after troubleshooting them. To see the "new look" of these old beasts just check out "Red Plate of Doom" thread. I will post pics there in a few minutes.

By the way, and as a reality check, driving with a tube amp in the trunk , or even sending tubes by mail, will subject said tubes to *much* higher G forces .... yet tubes usually stand such ordeal.

The Big Dumb Blonde One tried a DHT SET in the car trunk. Guess what broke....the filament in the 845. I plugged my 845SE into a 700 watt power inverter and stuck the whole thing in the trunk of a Mustang convertible for about a week (10 years ago). Fills up the whole trunk.

The microphonics were pretty bad, but we had some of the worst roads in the area. They have since been repaved. The amp uses 45's for the driver, and 845's for output. No problem with 50 year old 45's, but a brand new Chinese 845 lost a filament to a pothole.

I fixed the factory Mach 460 power amp and put it back in.

The Big Dumb Blonde One tried a DHT SET in the car trunk. Guess what broke....the filament in the 845. I plugged my 845SE into a 700 watt power inverter and stuck the whole thing in the trunk of a Mustang convertible for about a week (10 years ago). Fills up the whole trunk.

The microphonics were pretty bad, but we had some of the worst roads in the area. They have since been repaved. The amp uses 45's for the driver, and 845's for output. No problem with 50 year old 45's, but a brand new Chinese 845 lost a filament to a pothole.

I fixed the factory Mach 460 power amp and put it back in.
it's possibe that hot tubes are more fragile, just a thougt, maybe it's the opposite

What are you waiting for?

Headphones!

Build it!

Maybe instead of your job you can make history... I would not drop the job, but think big! And on top of all live your dream. I wasted my talent for along time with the "norm" create something nobody has and be proud of it...!!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.