How much bracing is necessary?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Honestly its not the site for high end subwoofer discussions. The majority here are not HT experts, they like music and like wimpy little 12" subwoofers to match their 2-channel setup.

No one here has remotely high end subwoofers to start with that I have seen.

Then you haven't been looking, and are being aggressive in your ignorance, a terrible combination. While this is not the place with the biggest rumble people around, there are some very large, very proper, very high output subs in these pages.

Myself, I use a wimpy little 12" subwoofer.... 2 rather.... with 15" passives.

I figured if you wanted the lowest frequency output, get one of those fan subwoofers and enjoy 1 Hz all day.

For me, it was to go below 20Hz flat, have realistic output levels and not take up the living room with ton of boxes, electronics and additional breakers in the box. My isobaric 15 pushes an 18" passive quite nicely for the low stuff yet sounds great with music.

If I want THX IMAX stuff--I'd look at their system and stuff it in my house after building a windowless room to handle the pressure. Call Danley on the phone and cross all that pro gear to a fan sub in the roof at 12 Hz.

My son has a subwoofer in his car when I'm in the mood to see a cone stroking back and forth.... ;)

ahem... not quite. my reference theater system 14Hz-20kHz +/-2db

if you want 10Hz performance i'm sure Tom Danley could help you out. He's around here somewhere. I recommend the DTS-10

Measured, well documented 13Hz to 30hz performance monster box. I want 10Hz and below to 80hz without the massive distortion/massive peak
issues in the 50Hz range.

I do not recommend (the same as others) the DTS-10 at all vs other choices.

I figured if you wanted the lowest frequency output, get one of those fan subwoofers and enjoy 1 Hz all day.

For me, it was to go below 20Hz flat, have realistic output levels and not take up the living room with ton of boxes, electronics and additional breakers in the box. My isobaric 15 pushes an 18" passive quite nicely for the low stuff yet sounds great with music.

If I want THX IMAX stuff--I'd look at their system and stuff it in my house after building a windowless room to handle the pressure. Call Danley on the phone and cross all that pro gear to a fan sub in the roof at 12 Hz.

My son has a subwoofer in his car when I'm in the mood to see a cone stroking back and forth.... ;)

We are still waiting for a DIY version of the Rotrary sub until then its > $8K to get it. Instead of $8K, 2K can be spent to get definitely more then enough output below 10Hz.

Again, Danley is not the right one to call for sub 10Hz performance in room. Great choice for live events but not exactly the ideal in room reference choice.

Many ways to go about it but Im only dicussing those with true custom HT rooms, the dedicated rooms that have the proper treatments and the space for proper subwoofer placement.

Family rooms with WAF etc, need not apply. Although a nice IB design with 4 18" woofers goes a long way to obtain the uncompressed/undistorted fun that can exist in movies. Zero foot print.

Last edited:
HT... High End??? That's an interesting twist but now that I think it over it should have been obvious that low inter-modulation and harmonic distortion, lack of thermal compression and smooth in room frequency response are far more important for reproducing an exploding death star than it is in reproducing a 32' Diapason.

Sheez!

Interesting twist?? Geesh the only people that remotely care about 2 channel (while mocking HT) seem to be the old guys posting online so there is a twist to everything. HT performance is the #1 reason audio companies are staying in business at all these days so mocking it is silly.

HT can be very is high end. smooth response, time domain control, zero thermal compression is actually very important but very few people actually have systems that handle the +30dB peaks that exist in movies action sequences. Single 12", dual 12"? Try > 20 liters of displacement required for accurate non-distorted playback from 10Hz on up. Its just a choice in the end but lets face it your post and a couple of others indicated that music is the priority. Conclusion, I have yet to see a subwoofer system on this site that I consider top end for HT.

I have my reference point and I didn't find it on this site.

Last edited:
Interesting,

So HT is a priority? Odd, most people I know give music the priority on their sound systems since that is what dominates the use of the thing. Granted, they don't use specific rooms for HT since they do have a life, kids, animals and it sits in the living room.

If you want the heavy rumble for movies, just build infrasonic sub woofers, cross them at 25Hz and be done with it.

Well Doug, I am not at all ashamed of having taken a few trips around the sun.

If explosions are your thing that's just fine. In my youth I had quite a bit of fun with explosives myself. However, it was you who started this whole thing by denigrating music systems. This is DIYaudio after all, not DIYspecialEffects. If high end/high SPL movie systems are your thing I am sure that you can find fora appropriate to that kind of thing quite easily since HT is so popular these days.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.