How many members from or around Ottawa On Canada

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi Guys;

Thanks for the message bearberry.

I'm in Kanata (work and live). I have a few projects on the go although my main one is an upgrade to a Counterpoint SA-1000 pre-amp. It's a good sounding pre-amp now but the design has some oddities that if corrected wouldl likely improve the sound.

I was going to do a speaker project (I corresponded with mwmkravchenko regarding B&G Neo 8 drivers on this) but the project died on the vine. I may resurrect it someday but with summer coming, probaly not soon.

Hey mwmkravchenko:

I'll be running in the Perth 5-mile kilted run in June to celebrate the 800th anniversary of Perth, Scotland. We're all (about a thousand of us) wearing kilts hoping to set a Guinness record.

multisync:

I miss the Swan at Carp. Good fish & chips and mushy peas (and beer!)

Matt

Cheers to all

Matt

Hi Dave.
That sounds like a heck of an idea.
Barry, why don't you give me a call and see if you can do something with this paperweight.
PM me and I will give you my home and work number.
If you guys are interested it the lastest happenings with it, check out my post in the tube amp section.
It will make you laugh.:(

Dave.

Boy this is what happens when I don't check things for a few days!

Hello gentlemen

I think there is a growing number of us in Ottawa or there abouts. Great. If we get enough maybe there could be a diy Ottawa?

You never know what might happen.

Hey Matt

All wearing kilts eh? Gonna be a might bit breezy I'm guessing. LOL

Hope it all turns out well.

Has anyone done a count of how many? How many disciplines? I cover a few well and some not as well. Cabinet making is my trade, but I have been doing design and small scale R&D since 1989. There are probably a few normal guys like me and maybe even some engineers. I have a few friends that are ex Nortel types. Very sharp cookies.

Mark

P.S. There has to be more than 8 of us?

Last edited:

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The Ottawa DIY Scene

Hi Guys!

Great to see some local Ottawa folk on here! I've been here for about 2 years now, and I would be quite keen on getting the ball rolling with either a meet, or at least some swapping of skills to help further the hobby.

My strengths are in electronics design (it's my job) and also loudspeaker design. I'm a condo dweller, so that puts a damper on the whole loudspeaker box construction thing. I do have some of my own great measurement equipment though, and access to some very nice gear. If anyone here has a wood shop, I'd be very interested in exchanging design/measurement work for time with a table saw and router.

I'm presently buried in a few projects, one is a line array with small Peerless drivers, another is the D1B1 I/V stage I've been working on, a music server, a pair of 6.5" TL's based on a B&G Neo 3 and a TB W6 underhung midbass. I usually keep a lineup of things on the go since I get easily distracted.

The only real audio related meeting I make it to each year in the Festival Son et Image in Montreal, but it's much more about glitz and bling than the DIY meets are. It would be great to see what others are working on in the area, and if there are enough people to organize a meet.

I'll keep an eye out on this thread, and if anyone has any ideas, let me know!

Cheers,
Owen

P.S. - Thanks for the note John!

Hi Owen.

Pm me or email to duffy.d.t at gmail dot com and let me know where you are.
I am in Arnprior and I do lots of woodwork, I can hook you up with some router time.
I don't use a table saw, but a real good circular and a clamp on straight edge, that works the best for long cuts.
I have built speakers in the past and may be doing another set.
Nice to see lots of people in the Ottawa area.

Dave.

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi gain-wire,

I think you've got the wrong 0. person. No CÉGEP here. Sorry about that!

Mark,

I would volunteer, but I've got about 900 square feet to play with here, so nine people would be a little tough to host. If it was a smaller gathering though, I could possibly oblige. I'm pretty central location-wise.

I'll let you or Dave know when I get to the point of needing to do some woodwork. I'm getting the front panels CNC'd by a local signmaker who does really great work for a decent price, but the rest of the cabinets are in my hands.

I've attached a screenshot of what it's going to look like (hopefully) when done.

Anyone care to share a list of DIY gear they're running? I'm always keen to hear other people's work!

- Aleph 2 Monoblocks
- Aleph 5 Monoblocks
- F5 Amp
- BOSOZ preamp
- Aleph ONO phono preamp
- DIY Music server running to a Musiland USB/SPDIF
- D1B1 I/V running with a Sabre DAC
- IRF AUDAMP7 Class D
- IRF AUDAMP5 Class D
- Dynaco ST-70
- Lynn Olsen's Ariels (speakers)
- T-line TB/B&G speakers (work in progress)
- North Creek Echo

I think I have some other things kicking around, but I don't remember offhand. I'd really like to hear a line array before I get going on this new one, so if anyone has something like that, let me know!

Cheers,
Owen

Attachments

• REV2 Front.jpg
    REV2 Front.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 99
  • REV2.jpg
    REV2.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 92
I do what I duz

My audio work is mostly custom systems for private clients and R&D work for OEMS. I'm trying hard to get the OEM back to where it once was. But it is slow going. The custom work is fun. Current projects are a large tower and horn loaded subwoofer. Projects in the bin are a surround design that I think addresses most of the deficiencies of what is available commercially.

Picasa Web Albums - Mark - Surround Soun...

In a month or two I will have a complete home theater system in the shop that is for a client out west. A listen would be interesting.

My main expertise is is high efficiency design. I did driver design back in 95 to 97 for an OEM. The last project was a very high efficiency fullrange 6.5" We got 108 db/watt out to 12khz clean. But the client pulled the plug just when we were getting the phase plug design nailed down. They are really evil things to design correctly. Then spent more time working in the trades because of circumstances changing. Back in the audio saddle about 30% of the time as of the beginning of this year at any rate.

I have good contacts with most of the suppliers in Canada for speakers and I am more or less a dealer for CSS in this neck of the woods. They make some very well made and designed drivers.

Owen sweet line source!

I think you may have to weight the bottom to keep it stable though. If you want to make the baffle it is not that hard with or without a CNC machine. It is simple a great many circles to cut. I have two Jasper circle cutting jigs. And a complete cabinet shop as it used to be my main income.

Mark

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Mark,

Looks like some interesting stuff in that gallery! It'll be great to see how it turns out.

I work in the audio industry as well, but unfortunately not in driver design although it's something I've always wanted to do. Sounds like you were working on what I would consider the perfect driver with that 6.5". I've always wanted to do a really powerful neo magnet based underhung design that pushed for higher efficiency in the 6"-7" size range. I've got some FEMM simulations done, but never took it anywhere.

As for the line array, I think you're right about the weighting. I'll probably end up going with a steel plate for that bottom section, and if I make it 1" thick, it might weigh enough to work.

For the front panels, I think I'm going to stick with the CNC cutout. I wanted to countersink the drivers, and even without the countersink, I'd rather pay $100 to have a machine do the work. Cutting 50 holes with a jasper jig would take hours, and I'm just not that excited about repetitive manual labor. I've had panels done before for other projects, and they turned out very well, so it's a great way to go for me. Thanks for the offer though!

I mostly need a way to rip the long sides and backs, and then glue the whole thing together. It'll take a lot of clamps to cover a 7' span.

I can send you some more detailed plans if you want to give them a look over. It's always good to get a second opinion on this sort of thing.

Cheers,
Owen

I'm new on the forum and live in Ottawa. Just moved here last year. I'm pretty much right downtown.

I'm building a Gainclone right now. I've got some speakers that I was building before I moved in storage (Zaph's Waveguide TMMs)... hopefully I'll have a chance to work on those this summer. Other than that, I'm most interested in tube stuff.

Are there any places in Ottawa like Active Surplus in Toronto? (i.e. Good surplus electronics stores?) Where does everyone get their parts?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Are there any places in Ottawa like Active Surplus in Toronto? (i.e. Good surplus electronics stores?) Where does everyone get their parts?

Hi There;

There's Add Electronics on Armstrong off of Parkdale for surplus, Reset Electronics near the Ottawa Citizen and Active on Merivale (near the Clyde intersection).

I don't buy too much from those guys, mostly The Parts Connexion, Digi Key, Mouser and Take 5 (and Solen of course for loudspeakers).

Matt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.