How important is transformer output?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AndrewT said:
100W into 8ohm is 40Vpk and 5Apk into 8r0.
180W into 4r0 is 38Vpk and 9.5Apk into 4r0 (Cordell's rule)
160W into 4r0 is 35.7Vk and 8.9Apk (AT's old rule)
240W into 2r67 is 35.7Vpk and 13.4Apk (AT's possible new rule).
Progg70 said:
That AndrewT wrote and then I mean the Ampere capacity.
you try doubling the Ampere capacity of any amp beating that specification.
It's IMPOSSIBLE.

Now reduce the load resistance/impedance to a non sensical 0r1 or 1uF and near zero resistance and find the peak transient current before or with limiting. That is a completely different spec. I have no way of deciding whether this affects sound quality and in particular bass quality.

Nop.

40V * 10A it's only 400VA take this x2 (Double winding) and you have a transf. on 800VA.

36V* 26,8A it's only 1037VA take this x2 (Double winding)and you have a transf. on 2000VA. Not so common use two 1000VA instead.

Abrahamsson Audio has 3000VA and about 2x24V for each channel. Then the sound is alright.
There is always a problem to have high effect and good sound. I think max effect and good sound is about 100W…
A&O Audio have their No. 1 at 16W with 800VA on each channel.

Try and listening is the only way to go. You always got different views on how things are going to be made.
Anyway the energy must be there and as always the speaker
should se the transformer as good it can be.

Then we are talking cables, prints, transistors and of course the transformers wire thickness, capacity.
You can never get a nice amplifier with pore transformers.
Try to start a car with a MC battery… Energy is needed.

A transformer is not a rocket science but most of it is copper who is expensive… this is often the most
expensive part in a amplifier. Not strange they try to save on this component…

post13 and post15 moved the enquiry to amplifier power.
I went on to show that simply quoting 100W into 8ohm tells us insufficient to make comparisons.
One needs to know how well the amplifier drives a lower impedance load.
Using Cordell and my own opinion it seems that nominal impedance/2 or nominal impedance/3 are useful resistances to start making that comparison.

From there we can define what is required of the PSU to allow the amplifier to do it's job.

An amplifier that can drive Xwatts into Rohms that is pure resistance, proves nothing about it's ability to drive a speaker. How it delivers current into varying loads starts to tell us a lot more.

OK I was a litle bit single track there. :)
My experience is that even if you have pore impedance handling in the output stage, transistors, tubes… the dominant component
is still the transformer.
A good transformer is the most important component.
In A&O Audio No. 1 you only have one transistor on the output but a really good transformer. The load handling is really good. Read the review here: http://aoaudio.se/Artikeln_Highfidelity_eng.pdf

back to post22.
You have taken a peak output voltage and called it 40V or 37V and taken a peak output current and called it 10A or 26.8A.
Then you have multiplied these peak outputs and tried to equate them to continuous AC power output of a transformer.
That is still flawed logic.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Without throwing any math about, I've also always found that a silly large transformer sounds better. Ditto a regulated PSU. Ones that have much more current delivery than makes sense for amp/load.

Just what I've heard listening to and working with stuff. Good strong current ability always seems to sound better.

A typical peak to average ratio figure for music is 10dB to 20dB. Modern ugly over-compressed recordgings go as low as 6dB.

The physical size and appearance of amplifier components produces a strong placebo effect on most listeners (if they are allowed to see).

This is the main tragedy of modern recordings

We had much more than that in the past..now a days no more dinamics...music inside a can.

The main advantage we had with digital was the 100 db dinamic range..what people did..compressed and variation does not go higher then 20 decibels... terrible that!

The media could give us noiseless pianissimo moments into the music and outstanding peaks.... but they mess with all that..and suck kind of things started (here) with the FM stations, the figth to play louder than others..because louder means quality to the average listener.

Carlos

Applying some of the info I've gleaned from this thread:

For the NAP-140 clone kit (using TIP41/42) which can put out 70W into 4 ohms (I'm assuming use of 4 ohm speakers here), I'd come up with a 70VA (35V w/ 2 amps) continous demand capability, double that to end up with 150VA toroids for each mono. This should address any peaks. This would be a reasonable "rule of thumb" approach for selecting transformers for an audio amp? As a point of reference, the commercial version of this amp uses a single 200VA transformer for both channels.

As far as capacitance, it appears the amps I'm seeing have roughly 200-300uF/watt. Therefore, I'd use 20,000uF for each mono.

Understanding that this approach is quite crude, does it end up with transformer and capacitance values that are in the reasonable range?

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
It's quite simple to see a graph of dynamics of your favourite music. Just run any old freeware "wave" editor and view the waveform of your favourite music. No mystery or science, just scroll through and look at the graph of dynamics vs time.

My intuition says Andrew's last recommendation is a great approach, anything more would see fairly diminished returns.

..Todd

AndrewT said:
get yourself a 750VA 45+45Vac transformer and it'll easily supply a 400W into 4ohm amplifier.
If you require deep bass then use +-40mF as smoothing.
You will be surprised at how well that, with a good amplifier hung on the end, will drive your example speaker.

Any kits available that can provide that kind of output and at the quality of an Aragon?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.