How important is channel separation in amp design?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,
just a general question - How important a factor is it to take into account when designing an amp.

lets say that the frequency response is ideal, and the only thing that is below what i want is channel separation.

If you were aiming for ~100dB below 400Hz, but only resulted in ~85dB up to 1kHz or so for this region - would this have a great bearing on the sound?

Sorry if I sound like a novice - but that's what I am!
Cheers :D

Bill is correct. 30dB is fine for vinyl, and imaging is usually very, very good.

However, with SS amplifiers, imaging is often compromised. I find that a separate power supply for each channel seems to really help with imaging. Every little bit helps with SS; not so much with tubes, which often share the same ps for two channels and seem to have brilliant imaging nonetheless.

Cheers,

Hugh

AKSA said:

However, with SS amplifiers, imaging is often compromised. I find that a separate power supply for each channel seems to really help with imaging. Every little bit helps with SS; not so much with tubes, which often share the same ps for two channels and seem to have brilliant imaging nonetheless.

That is really interesting. Do you have an explanation as to why this is so?

As far as imaging is concerned, channel separation is fairly important. Even something as simple as individual rectifiers and capacitors for each channel gives a big improvement. The next step would be totally independant transformers.

On a Carver amp I once tested, I hooked both chanels up to speakers, but only one to a source. Even at modest levels the music could be heard through the undriven chanel.

Tube amps are more forgiving of sloppy layouts because of higher voltage and thus lower current. There's less chance of magnetic coupling.

Bill Fitzpatrick said:
Consider that vinyl fans put up with 30db at 1K, 80db seems quite sufficient.

That's one of the things I always found frustrating about vinyl. By playing around with various things over the years, I've found it takes 60-65db of channel separation before I'm happy, but I don't find much difference with more than that.

Bill,

I have many thoughts on the matter, but won't air them here as they are unproven, folklorish, and possibly laughable........

I think imaging is related to phase shifts and intermodulation effects in the 1KHz-5KHz range.

Much also depends on the room and the speaker crossovers. It's all a bit like seduction, everything has to be right.......

Cheers,

Hugh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.