how high can you hear?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is sure good news :cool:

I downloaded the low and high frequency tests, burned them on a CD, and played them through my main system.

Both my fostex FE166e based Abby clones and I, are in great shape.

19kHz was the end for at least one of us, but most likely both me and them ;)

20Hz was a few dB down compared to the tuning frequency of the speakers (50Hz), but sure not a problem to hear.

Magura :)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
AmpKiller66 said:
20 Khz, baby!:D
But I'm just 16. It'll be interesting to see what it like when I'm a geezer... no offense to any geezers:)

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not :rofl:

What is also interesting is to listen to a squarewave from a generator ( at low level ) and increase the frequency and see when the harmonics disappear. That is to say, when the square wave sounds identical to a sine wave. Bear in mind the square will sound "louder" -- form factor and all that.

Hi, Anonymous!

Did you know that you had an old Hungarian namesake?
I found a reference with a German language only unfortunately from him:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymus_(Chronist)

Returning onto our topic:

I'm 28 and I listen to headphones at high volumes for around 4-6 hours a day, 5 days a week.

You regret this yet.

You are in that age unfortunately when the man does not think of his own future yet. Chiefly dangerous looking out on your hearing if you make all this with a headset which can be put into an ear.

The noise the one in the hearing organ, hair cells harms it, that indispensably necessary in terms of the hearing. They never regenerate long already if these were injured once, and gradual hearing decay is brought about.
Reflect on this, I ask you!

Regards,

Gyuri

PS
A little bit tastelessness, but I have to refer to your signature in the interest of you!
The seventeen kilohertz borders mean hearing decrease on the high frequencies already in this age!
Finally yet a Link:
http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=80245

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Mooly said:

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not :rofl:

What is also interesting is to listen to a squarewave from a generator ( at low level ) and increase the frequency and see when the harmonics disappear. That is to say, when the square wave sounds identical to a sine wave. Bear in mind the square will sound "louder" -- form factor and all that.

Anyone tried this, seeing when a squarewave becomes indistinguishable from a sine.

Gyuri,

Thanks for the words of caution, I do realize the risk.

My partner is hard of hearing, she can only hear from around 500Hz-5kHz and wears hearing aids in both ears. I often feel guilty about spending time and money on a hobby she can't ever take part in.

Mooly,

I did try the square wave test, but I must say there is a definite difference between square and sine even to the top of my hearing threshold. It's hard to say where it starts to sound similar to a sine. Maybe I will try again.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi,
If the amplitudes are not equalised the sine and square may appear different but the harmonics should disappear around 4.5 to 6 khz I guess. It depends on the headphones too- how good they are.
It's really interesting to do. Just start at low volume at 1 khz and slowly increase the frequency. You will hear a definite point where the "harshness" is lost.
:)

I don't know how valid most of the "how high" results are, since the level is unknown. Give it enough amplitude and you can probably hear higher. OTOH, at 54, my hearing drops off a cliff at 14.5kHz. The slope is steep and raising the amplitude doesn't change much. I've been very careful with my hearing all my life, but age takes its toll. As a teen I could hear 20kHz, but just barely.

It's not dependent on level in my case. I can play anything above 8kHz as loud as I want and I still can't hear it. I can hear 8kHz, but it has to be much louder than the rest of the spectrum.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.