How good must full-rangers get to replace 2-ways?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I also found, interestingly enough, that on the sims at least, a FE126E can be an almost perfect drop-in for a FE127E with 6.1ohms output impedance. (13L box tuned to 64Hz for both, the deviation was <0.2dB)
Perhaps, with the right additions, a FE126 can be a replacement for the FE127s? Variable Amplifier Impedance

In theory and sims you can get the same kind of alignments, but in testing this idea we found the big R subtracted far more than was gained.

I haven't done an "optimal" bass reflex for FE126e, but for the FE126En it is 4 litres and hits smething like 120 Hz.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Whether one calls it a "black art" or not, there's a very large degree of complex technology in speaker design, even if it's all known physics. It can seem a black art to those who haven't delved deep into the equations and theory.

Speaker systems are a set of compromises. The black art comes into choosing the set of compromises. If the amp is not including in the loop things are further compromised.

dave

Being Mass Loaded Voigt pipes, correct? That does sound almost impressive.

Dave, do you remember the power output at which the SETs won on distortion? I'd expect it to be low.

Anyway, dragging this back from the verge of a SS vs valve thread...

What if the two-way is a coaxial?

Edit - Dave, instead of adding a big series resistor (which, I agree would be a bad idea - the power losses etc..), would the circuit of Rod Elliott's allow the FE126En to drop into a cabinet originally intended for a FE127? It certainly seems like a possibility... Perhaps I should start a new thread on that.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Being Mass Loaded Voigt pipes, correct?

yes.

do you remember the power output at which the SETs won on distortion? I'd expect it to be low.

300B IIRC (5-7 watts)

What if the two-way is a coaxial?

You still have an XO.

instead of adding a big series resistor (which, I agree would be a bad idea - the power losses etc..), would the circuit of Rod Elliott's allow the FE126En to drop into a cabinet originally intended for a FE127? It certainly seems like a possibility... Perhaps I should start a new thread on that.

Current drive changes everything. At the time we did the resistor experiments, we had not yet been exposed to the variale TransAmp.

dave

You still have an XO.

Current drive changes everything. At the time we did the resistor experiments, we had not yet been exposed to the variale TransAmp.

dave

Agreed, you still have a crossover. But the problems moving around the room, standing up vs sitting down are aleviated compared to a standard two-way. You retain the point source. Surely, this would be better than a standard midbass + tweeter?

Done right, I'd bet it's smoother through the crossover region than most drivers with whizzers.

Chris

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You retain the point source. Surely, this would be better than a standard midbass + tweeter?

Done right, I'd bet it's smoother through the crossover region than most drivers with whizzers.

Done right the 2-way coax is the top of a 3-way or the main cone is of substantial size. The main cone acts as a waveguide that moves with the music.

If you do a FAST, you can, esentially, make the 2 (or more, like my MTM) drivers coincident since the XO is very low.

That said, someday i hope to score some Tannoy 10"

dave

I'd almost 100% agree that FAST is the way to do it.

But there's also some 12" coaxials in the house, and they do dynamics much better than my system, despite the steep crossovers on the Fostexes: the mid-tweeter will, I suspect, always be the limiting factor in some way. The same 12"s in the other room are also used as a small PA system: my point is that a coaxial will retain some of the FR magic, but has the sheer output to render huge dynamics easily. Certainly a reasonable compromise...

Chris

I'd almost 100% agree that FAST is the way to do it.

But there's also some 12" coaxials in the house, and they do dynamics much better than my system, despite the steep crossovers on the Fostexes: the mid-tweeter will, I suspect, always be the limiting factor in some way. The same 12"s in the other room are also used as a small PA system: my point is that a coaxial will retain some of the FR magic, but has the sheer output to render huge dynamics easily. Certainly a reasonable compromise...

Chris

In my experience not much of a compromise. Or the best there is depending on your point of view.
I use 12" Tannoy DCs and t/l subs (<175Hz) and couldn't be happier. Dynamics to die for, source material permitting, and despite the Tannoy crossing over at 1.2k it is practically inaudible.

What better options are there than whizzers for the treble, staying with a mechanical solution rather than a X-over?

Andy

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diya...eggio-loudspeaker.html?garpg=15#content_start

Yuck. The 8" Tang Bands are better, but the smoothing applied to their measured responses means the graphs could be more useful. Even they seem to need a super-tweeter, however.

Think I'd take an electrical crossover over a whizzer: at least you can tinker with electrical ones.

Wow, long thread... I heard Linn's in an all Linn system and did not enjoy them at all. I'll pass on Sonus Faber too tho they can sound beautifully lush and warm until you hear the mechanical sound and then it's over... for me anyway. Linn's sounded mechanical too.

Listening to and enjoying my Eminence 12lta with a super tweeter crossed using a 1uf cap (i guess it's rolling in slowly around 20k) and H-frames (coming in at around 60hz) i'm in heaven. Mavis Staples and her choir sounded lush, big and real enough to me... Lucy Kaplansky is singing along now making me a little sad so i can feel better later.

Fostex, Alpair and TB MIGHT have better mids but i don't care... i will enjoy those systems another day. But i do stay away from crossovers lower than 6khz.

I prefer paper... and yes, the 12lta is bigger and that makes me feel good, lol.

What better options are there than whizzers for the treble, staying with a mechanical solution rather than a X-over?

Andy

Extremely wide BW driver [large, low mass, progressively doped diaphragm with smallest practical diameter VC, probably ~3/4"] with a complex phase plug suspended over it. That, or same except small diaphragm with huge Xmax ala Babb Lorelei.

GM

Extremely wide BW driver [large, low mass, progressively doped diaphragm with smallest practical diameter VC, probably ~3/4"] with a complex phase plug suspended over it. That, or same except small diaphragm with huge Xmax ala Babb Lorelei.

GM

GM, have you heard the Lorelei? That driver emerged and vanished like some sort of a chimera years ago, and the only comments that are to be found about its performance indicate something pretty remarkable. Now all those Babb drivers are sold by a company called DC Gold, and while they look very interesting there is a notable lack of information or willingness to supply it on the part of the DC gold folks (I've emailed them once or twice myself).

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

A whizzerless full range that does HF. A lot of small ones do it (FF85KeN was a standout), and a few larger do as well (the MA Alpairs, at least a couple TBs, the Jordan JX92 -- how smooth is another question). Larger usually gives greater dynamic & volume capability. A big bass driver really helps a FR with dynamics & potential volume levels as long as LF to the FR are removed. A sealed box + a 1st order PLLXO can get you an eventual 3rd order roll off. Couple that with a 3rd order active filter on the woofer and it can work well.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The new Deware DNA stuff claims the W5-1880 reaches 20k, i'm not of enamoured of the looks and instead got a pair of the highly recommened W5-1661 (that they are sale doesn't hurt)

Speaking of on sale, and you being in Europe, blueplanet currently has CHP70 & BB4A (black blue planet labeled version of the CHR70) at giveaway prices.

dave

1st order PLLXO can get ...
I'm not used to this forum. Every time I see PLL XO I think Phase Locked Loop Crystal Oscillator (which is a little funny itself) but that's what XO and PLL mean where I hail from :D

So every time, I have to pause, sometimes for much too long, and think Passive Line Level cross-over. maybe I'll go write that on the chalkboard a few dozen times now.

ok, sorry for the aside...:rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.