How good are the cheap fullrange drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, the separate tweeter might give broader listening space, if properly choosen. But that wider directivity has also some penalties, concerning the effects of room acoustics. It depends much of your own taste, do you want to listen always sitting on same armchair, or on different places on your corner sofa?
As you seem to be a Finn, the following link tells some basic info of loudspeaker properties in different room sizes:
Kaiuttimen ja kuuntelutilan koko
Other forum people are unfortunately forced to use google translation, sorry.
In short, it basically tells that in big room&long listening distance you would need higher directivity speakers than in small room and speakers in near field.

Yes, the separate tweeter might give broader listening space, if properly choosen. But that wider directivity has also some penalties, concerning the effects of room acoustics. It depends much of your own taste, do you want to listen always sitting on same armchair, or on different places on your corner sofa?
As you seem to be a Finn, the following link tells some basic info of loudspeaker properties in different room sizes:
Kaiuttimen ja kuuntelutilan koko
Other forum people are unfortunately forced to use google translation, sorry.
In short, it basically tells that in big room&long listening distance you would need higher directivity speakers than in small room and speakers in near field.
Yeah, I know some basics about room acoustics, such as it's important to treat (at least) first reflections from the walls, that most interfere with stereo imaging..

Bass also creates lots of problems which is why i'm going to try the dipole subwoofer approach.

I just found the new minidsp product, the minidigi 2x8, if I understand it correctly, I could use it as a three-way crossover, so I could "actively" crossover the tweeter and woofers, using two lepai amps.

What do you think will I get better results from that setup compared to typical 100-150€ multimedia speakers?

It better sound as good as a 100-150€ set. That minidsp alone would go towards that price. Why go 3 way in a near field setup where you are sitting up close and in a stationary position?
If you pay attention to the replies you'll notice that most here are talking about something else than a desktop application.
Do you really want to build a 3 way setup to compete with these cheap multimedia solutions?

It better sound as good as a 100-150€ set. That minidsp alone would go towards that price. Why go 3 way in a near field setup where you are sitting up close and in a stationary position?
If you pay attention to the replies you'll notice that most here are talking about something else than a desktop application.
Do you really want to build a 3 way setup to compete with these cheap multimedia solutions?
Hi, so it would be 3 way because it has dipole bass (2x 12" woofers).

But i've now scrapped the idea of that tweeter! It will get too expensive.

I still need to buy the normal 2x4 minidsp, because I need crossover+equalizer for the dipole basses, this is not included in the cost of the satellites..

So I need to make a smallish nearfield speaker with those dipole basses.. More clear now? :)

My favorite drivers are follow:
1) SPH64x from Monacor - go to
SPH-64X/AD
2) Fostex FE Series - go to
Full Range : FE Series | Speaker Components| Fostex
3) FANE Studio 5M (vintAGE VERSION) - datasheet anywhere here on diyaudio posted
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...ull-range-model-studio-5m-100-db-92-5-db.html

ALL THIS TRANSDUCERS ARE VERY OLD BUT STILL IN CURRENTLY PRODUCTION: THERE ARE A WIDE RANGE OF NEW DEVICES IN THIS KIND FROM TANGBAND E. G., SO AS ADDITIONAL FROM CHINA MAINLY AN EXTREMLY WIDE RANGE; BUT I RECOMMEND ONLY THE OLD ONES, as long STILL CURRENTLY AVAILABLE on the marked.

I'm going to go with the FR88's for now. They should work fine in ~1 liter enclosure, considering I only need output down to about 150hz.

tiefbassuebertr, most of those drivers were a bit too big, though the Monacors looked really interesting.

Also the NS3's are not available from the shop where i'm going to order (i'm in EU btw)

Thanks for all the help :)

The value of the resistor will depend on the volume of your box size to first get the Qts. The addition of a resistor further increases the Qes, thus increasing the final Qts further....needed to provide a subjectively increased bass at the cost of LF extension that a small driver does not like.
If you are willing to spend 12-20$ more for a 500-1000 series cap, look at thread on partsexpress by Wolf. Jeff Bagby software is great to simulate all such series components mentioned above.

The Aurasound NS3 at about 25$ a pair, has a very balanced sound, abd can work well even in as small as a sealed 4" cube with a small series resistor to increace the Qtc.
from finished fine sounded loudspeakers (i.e. full range transducer include enclosure) I know the vintage brand "AURATONE" - go to
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/high-end/33570d1175423186-auratone-monitor-quincy2.jpg
Which successor brand of this old manufacturer from Hungary are currently on the marked?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.