How does Aleph30 sounds ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

It is my very first post, I follow this forum since a year and I think I will built my own Aleph30, so I have a few questions about this Amp.
Actualy I use a 2x120W class AB amplifier and I find the sound too agressive in the medium range, I wish to know how does the Aleph30 sounds in comparison, what are the avantages, I listen last week an other class A amplifier with bipolar, it sounds soft but dont punch enough for me, I give here the composition of my stereo installation:
Loudspeakers: Tannoy 15" 385A (box Arundel)
CD drive: Cambridge whith it DAC
Preamp: Lectron PA50
What do you think will be the result with the Aleph30 ?

Thank's for your response.

There is no answer, I'm afraid

Hi,

I'm sourcing the A30 components now, so I don't have listen yet to any aleph, and no answer for your question. But you can search in another threads some comments from pass himself, but the answer you`ll have is that the only way is to build one. Isn't expensive, so maybe it's worth a try. Any information about the speakers you have? Efficiency?
Don't know certainly, but maybe you have enough money/heatsinking to build the A2.
Sorry for not having the answer you need.
You read the stereophile review on A3, didn't you?

:nod:
Hi,

Thank you for your answer, I have begin to have a look on the mechanical part, here with an image of what it will be, the size
H:350
L:430
l:300
I made it large for an Aleph30 but may be I will increase it to an Aleph3.
For Raka, the problem was not the price, I have 50 IRFP244, the heatsink and the complete supply, what I want to avoid is loosing time and be disapointed by the result, about my Tannoy loudspeaker, they don't need a powerful amp, they deliver 96dB for 1 watt.
It will take some time to finish my Aleph but we can say today an other Aleph is born.

Thank's a lot and meet you soon on this forum.

Attachments

• the birth.jpg
    the birth.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,779
Actually I'm using two Aleph 5 mono, higly biased (about 3A), with the balanced preamplifier BLS, to drive my CHeviots (HPD315A).
Notwithstanding the original Tannoy cabinets are quite cheap and "constrained", the sound is very very good.
At first I noticed a certain lack of punch - the only flaw in a first-class context - but the introduction of the BLS preamplifier instead of the Bride of Zen - was miraculous.
The bass now are very good too.
Maybe the amplifiers needed a longer burn-in period than I was thinking...
As soon as time permits, I'm going to build a good cabinet for my "new" 15" Gold, I'm sure that these amplifier will be perfect even for these beauties.
Marcello

tortello said:
Actually I'm using two Aleph 5 mono, higly biased (about 3A), with the balanced preamplifier BLS, to drive my CHeviots (HPD315A).
Notwithstanding the original Tannoy cabinets are quite cheap and "constrained", the sound is very very good.
At first I noticed a certain lack of punch - the only flaw in a first-class context - but the introduction of the BLS preamplifier instead of the Bride of Zen - was miraculous.
The bass now are very good too.
Maybe the amplifiers needed a longer burn-in period than I was thinking...
As soon as time permits, I'm going to build a good cabinet for my "new" 15" Gold, I'm sure that these amplifier will be perfect even for these beauties.
Marcello

Do you use the BLS as unbalanced-to-balanced converter?
Does balanced connection really make a difference?

Cheers

Andrea

Hello Andrea:
yes, if you want to use these words.
My CD-player has unbalanced outputs, and between preamplifier and power amps I use balanced (XLR) Audioquest Python.
IMHO balanced connection sounds a bit better, but even if unbalanced, I prefer the BLS combo than the Bride of Zen's one.
Anyway both are very good sounding circuits, if you compare them with commercial stuff, you'll not be disappointed.
All the best
Marcello

Compare with Aleph 2

Dear All,

Does the Aleph 2 have more bass power/slam than the Aleph 3 or Aleph 30?

My favourite commercial amp at present is the Electrocompaniet EC4i followed closely by its little brother, EC3i. They really pack in the bass punch into B&W 803's.

Unfortunately I own NONE of the above equipment. :( However the Aleph Series may get me up there a bit.

Regards,
George.

Hi GeorgeBoles,

I can't tell you about the Aleph2 because I never listen to it but we make comparison between my Aleph3 and two AlephX,the difference are a little bit more precision on the X version but they don't have the tube sound of the Aleph3 wich procures a very natural result on voices and generally, the AlephX are more analytic, for the bass section all amps have the same dynamic and depth, the comparison was made with Tannoy 15' speakers.

Best regards.

yonnat.

Attachments

• test_aleph.jpg
    test_aleph.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 375
Thanks Yonnat

Dear Yonnat,

Thanks for your thoughts on the comparison between Aleph 3 and Aleph X.

What power did you build the X? Similar number of output devices to the Aleph 3?

Does anyone else have any thoughts about the Aleph 2 compared with other Alephs ... ?

By the way, my wife would freak if I allowed my living room to get as interesting as yours!

Her idea of good loudspeakers are those teeny little Bose Acoustimas jobbies ... "oh, they must be good!"

I suggested a pair of B&W 805's on stands (I had toyed with slipping in the "Signature" option, hoping she wouldn't notice) with a subwoofer and she told me that they looked "awful"! (AND my room is 8.5*5.5m and she still thought they looked too big!! It looks like I can't win on this one :xeye:

Regards,
George.

Other comparisons

Hi GeogeBoles,

excuse the late answer, I had some troubles with my internet connection .
I build the Aleph 3, the X was build from a friend of mine, if I remember well the output number devices are the same multiply by two because the X output stage.
For other comparisons I have compared my 2x120W class AB with the Aleph, the biggest surprise was the lot of details who come out of the Aleph, it is never agressive and has a lot of dynamic very close to my class AB who is wearing at a long listening.
I have listened an other class A amplifier, the sound was fine but it was poor in punch, the listening was made with the same speakers.
For the problem with your wife for the size of the speakers and the room I have to admit we all, the married mens have the same, offer her flours, a good glass of wine and listen together to a good disk.

Good luck and best regards.

Yonnat.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.