• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How do you match output tubes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The bad news - It's Tubelabs' driveway!....I want to see a photo, at least!

In my neighborhood the kids would smash them all in short order.

I spent some considerable time sorting zillions of loose tubes on the pool deck in the back yard (fenced). The little glass ones get plenty hot sitting in the Florida sun. The black metal ones get too hot to pick up after a few hours.

I never thought to try roasting a few in the sun. I still have some gassy Sylvania 6V6GT's left. I'll try it, but the getter may be too far gone on some of them.

Don't wish to stray too far from the OP but I'm not clear how baking works.

I have some treasured NOS Mullards from the late sixties which I will probably bake out of prudence as it probably won't do them any harm if I keep the temperature below about 150c.

It seems to me that the getter works all the time and at room temperature. It will continue to work until it is saturated by gas particles. Gas particles will then build up inside the envelope. Also the getter will turn white because it has all been oxydised.

But this is not the case with my Mullards - They are still lovely and silver. Doesn't this mean there is still plenty of unreacted getter left.

Perhaps what is happening is the unreacted getter is physically excluded from taking part in a chemical reaction but becomes released by the heat of the oven.

This is less of an opinion, more of a stab in the dark, please correct.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.