How do DIY speakers compare to commercial?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've build my own because I just could not find commercial attractive speakers within my budget, and I'm pleased I did.

If you smack some wood together and put in some cheap drivers and standard crossover you're probably better of with the first next bargain. If you're willing to go the extra mile you could have extraordinary good speakers for a fraction of the price. (although there is still serious mony involved for good parts)

Square boxes? Why? (see my avatar)

A few years ago I built ACI Spirits (now called Opals) , a 2 way tower with a 8" vifa midbass and a D27 tweeter. Total cost after shipping, duty, construction etc. came to about $650 CDN. There was nothing I could buy at that price that would compare. I lived with friends that had Energy and Paradigm speakers at a similar pricepoint, and there was no contest IMHO. I had to get up to the PSB Stratus Silver to find speakers that bettered them (not surprising, as the Silvers use similar drivers). The Stratus MSRPs for $1,899 USD. Without DIY I would never have been able to afford the sound quality I have now.

I have also built the CSS Elf 1.0 (TB 871 in a small box w/ no crossover). These cost me just over $100 CDN IIRC (w/cabinets), and there is nothing near that price that can touch them IMO. If you put the ELF 1.5 or similar speaker together with something like the Parts Express 'tiny mighty' sub, you'd have a system under $200 that IMO would blow the doors off most speakers under $1000.

This has just been my experience, but my perspective is a little different than most, as someone who has little skill at woodworking, and takes little pleasure in the building process, the returns on my $$$ are still more than enough to keep me hooked on this hobby.

Finally, if this is going to be your first foray into DIY, I highly recommed a kit, or at least a project which doesnt require you to design a crossover (ie fullrange). Its natural to want to dive in and design your dream speaker from scratch, but if you are after bang for your buck, a kit or proven design is the way to go. Designing from scratch is a great learning experience, but unless you have a lot of time to learn the VERY complex art of measurement & crossover design, your final result may not be something that 'punches out of its weight/price class' so to speak.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.