How could I shrink some 2''PVC pipe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Chris8sirhC said:
A while ago i figured out that bondo does not stick to pvc.... the bondo would easily come out of the pvc.

Thank you very much for that information. Since Bondo sticks to metal and PVC sticks to most glues, I was guessing it would. Now I know better.

There is also the possiblity of using a glue to stick to both the fiberglass and the bondo. Either one of the PVC glues or perhaps a good epoxy, (which I know sticks to PVC), will also stick to Bondo?

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Guss:

I know this is elementary, but I just thought I will bring it up to avoid a last minute disaster.

Whatever method you choose to make the flares, make sure that the finished flare/port assembly is not in one piece before you put it in the box.

If you glue everything together outside the box, you will never be able to fit it into the box. Remember, the outside tip of the flare must pass through the port hole, but the rest of the port/flare assembly must be inside the box.

Make sure either the flares are removable from the ports before you assemble this outside the box, or if the flares are glued to the piple, make sure the pipe is in two pieces so they can be attached together when installing into the enclosure. A pipe/flare assemble cannot be glued together outside the box and then installed-it won't fit. Something has to be in two parts.

PS: I wonder if some cheap funnels from the Everything For A Dollar store near you might not help? A funnel is a straight flare, true, but if it is made of vinyl you can glue it, and modifying a straight flare funnel to a curved flare might be easier than making a curved flare from scratch.

PVDC, PVC, LLDPE, LS/MFT, PDQ

kw, fwiw, the clear plastic wrap you refer to is normally polyethylene. Darn tough to get anything to stick without corona treating or chemical etching. Saran isn't exactly vinyl (shorthand for polyvinylchloride), it's polyvinylidenedichloride. Similar name, very different properties. The wraps made from it are actually compounds containing Saran and various low molecular weight polyolefins- Saran on its own is quite brittle. It's excellent as an ESL diaphragm, too.

The beauty of using a fiberglass/resin composite is that you can mold any shape you like with a mandrel, mold, or last. You don't have to worry about whether it sticks to PVC tubing because you don't need to use the PVC tubing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.