How can a resistor "sound" good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: Re: How can a resistor "sound" good?

oldmanStrat said:

ha - no, gettin' old actually. More to the point I'm a long time digital engineer - where a resistor is a resistor, and a cap a cap. (and men are men lol)

I haven't stepped over to the crazy dark side of the world of analog until just recently...

Are you ready to step into the realm of digital audio? The resistors and capacitors make as much difference there as they do in analog audio.

Dave

Johan Potgieter said:
Black Belt
Those are the Rubycon Black Gates :D Some of the really famous caps and resistors are out of business anyway. They stopped production or they "upgraded" (I mean downgraded) their products like the Holcos. So if you check some reviews about "resistor sounds" keep in mind that those articles might be quite old and not up to date anymore

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
And maybe magnetic too

Not sure about it, but I think I have experienced just slightly unstable bias as a result of carelessly using magnetised screwdriver on bias pot
Only did it accidentally on one channel
The other channel where I avoided this didnt show this instability
But very small difference, and may be coincidense, I dont know
But I try to avoid it, just in case

Could there be any reality to this, or just something imaginary:scratch:

Ooops! You may NEED sharper ears!

Bandersnatch said:

hey-Hey!!!,
So it is the parasitic quantities that are responsible for sonic performance? Now I've applied shunt capacitance to plate loads for a few experiments, and it takes a lot of capacitance to be audible...far more than what any normal resistor will have.
cheers,
Douglas

Hi.

That explains why you can't tell triode sounds so much more musical than pentodes.

Too bad, my ears are so picky to tell me pure silver wires sound more musical than oxygen-free pure coppers. Sorry!

So tell us why many of us (excluding you, I assume) can hear resistors sound different?

c-J

PS: so many like using choke loading plate topology. Proabably they don't know the capacitance & inductance of the chokes affect the hi & lo frequency response big time. Obviously they can't hear it. So !!???

Why?

Wavebourn said:
Stick with metal films rated for more power than needed, and select high tolerance resistors, so they will have lesser tempco and it's influence.

Hi.

I quoted earlier here from the textbooks carbon composition resistors (of a brandname) of same resistance get much higher inductance with higher wattage. I would use lowest wattage possible unless it is for power handling, so as to reduce its inherent inductance, be it very low.

Do you mean we should use 10% tolerance instead of 1%
for "lesser tempco" "influence"??? Why?

That said, I always use 1% or less tolerance metal film resistors for signal paths. I measure them with 0000 digital meter to make sure closest tolerance resistors for each stereo channel. I never trust whatever resistance & tolerance marked on a resistor, whatever exotic brandname or no-name it be.

c-J

Wavebourn said:
I use grid stoppers when and only when they are needed for stability in each certain design.

Hi.

Like it there or not, when the design needs it there, it should be there.

Let me tell you my latest benchwork on builidng a phonostage. I finished breadboarded one & am now fine-tunig it.

Believe it or not, the original design gets a 500KR (!!!!) grid stopper in I/O signal path to receive the MC cartridge. But it is there as part of the RIAA shaping, I believe.

I tried to bypass it as it looks to me way way too large when placed in line of a phono catridge I/P signal path. That done, I can not detect any audible SPL increase after bypassing it but it offsets the tonal balance. So I have to keep that hugh girdstopper
reistance in place.

c-J

What "not" "the same properties"??

duekfx said:
chaep-Jack, metal films do not share the same properties with any carbon type material. I'd also use higher wattage when it comes to metal films. Carbon is another matter.

HI.

Metal films are coil wound like wire-wound resistors, & will therefore generate more self-inductance than any carbon compositions.

Please substantiate technically yr argument.

c-J

Let me ask you a plain and simple question: what has much higher influence on sound: inductance (which is present in all types in a negligible amount) or thermal noise (which is generated by carbon types)? Not to mention "life" issues where metal film is definitely the winner.

duekfx said:
Let me ask you a plain and simple question: what has much higher influence on sound: inductance (which is present in all types in a negligible amount) or thermal noise (which is generated by carbon types)? Not to mention "life" issues where metal film is definitely the winner.

Noises are not the most significant problem of carbon comnps; non-linearity is. They add errors in reproduction, they modify signals!

Re: What "not" "the same properties"??

cheap-Jack said:

HI.

Metal films are coil wound like wire-wound resistors, & will therefore generate more self-inductance than any carbon compositions.

Please substantiate technically yr argument.

On audio and even shortwave frequencies such inductances are negligible, and L-C contours they form have negligible Q due to resistive losses. For microwaves metal films are not coiled, they have thinner layers and different surface materials.

All electronic devices produce noise.

duekfx said:

Hi.

While I am awaiting yr substantiation on yr arugument, let me tell you more about electronic noises.

It's there in any electronic devices, be them resistors or vacuum tubes, & is classified as 'thermal noise' or 'shot noise'.

e (noise) is proportional to 2 time square root of its operating temperature, resistance value & the signal bandwith of the signal passing thru.

The e noise of a 1KR resistor is typically 0.6uV at room temperature (300degree K) from DC to 20KHz. Lower the resistance, lower be the thermal noise.

Another noise generated when current passed thru a resistor: contact noise which will be added or moduated onto the inherent thermal noise of the device. Generally, contact noises are generated by carbon or films, in decending order: worst- carbon compostion, carbon film, metal oxide & metal film. Wirewound resistor give least or zero contact noise.

This proabably explains why many people like the kinda 'warm' sound of carbon resistors as the contact noise generated by DC/AC current passing thru the carbon resistors modulates on the thermal noise of the resistors.

We should worry much much more the noises generated by a vacuum tube in our audo amps rather than a passive linear device, like a resistor.

The nosies generated by a vacuum tube are:

(1) Thermal noise:- 2.5/Gm of the tube;

(2) flicker noise:- 1/f noise which we should concern for audio amps handling low frequencies;

(3) partition noise: inter electrode noise generated in tetrodes & pentodes. Such noise can be 3- 5 times of a triode.

c-J

Re: Re: What "not" "the same properties"??

Wavebourn said:

On audio and even shortwave frequencies such inductances are negligible, and L-C contours they form have negligible Q due to resistive losses. For microwaves metal films are not coiled, they have thinner layers and different surface materials.

Hi.

So for audio amps, how come many, including yours truly, can hear sound not the same with different makes of resistors. It is pure imagination or you can tell us why & how?

c-J

Re: All electronic devices produce noise.

cheap-Jack said:

While I am awaiting yr substantiation on yr arugument

There is nothing else to say. Everything has been discussed hundreds of times on these forums. You were talking about inductance, so I replied with a someone more important factor. There are so many much much more important factors than inductance. I didn't really understand your concerns. It's like bothering with chassis color when you build an amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.