How better is a Turntable compared to a CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a cold weather guy. Texas weather was hell for me during the three years I lived there, but the music sure made up for it. I'd move back to Austin without hesitation.

My wife, an ex-musician, is a fine judge. She thinks that fashion audio fans are morons.

Yup, I don't like hot weather either, spring/autumn here is just about right for me.

I agree with your wife's view on fashion audio, she sounds like a sensible woman to me :)

I've got only the speakers suspended in a fashion like 45 indicated in the link
of the Rega suspended arm, with elastic - and each band is detatched from the other as well. The results are remarkable, so I can only imagine what the whole system could (not) introduce in terms of:
cleanness
creamyness
constantness
consciousness etc etc
:eek:

I've grown to accept a £3500 CD player and a Pass amplifier too but there will always be the vinyl and tube lovers. I've built several tube pre-amps over the years but I've sold every one of them as I found them lifeless and uninspiring to listen to. Maybe my newest build, the Impasse might change my mind.

Last edited:
Excluding power amp output stage valves and transformers, I seriously doubt you'd be able to differentiate in a double blind test (in all cases).

If we restrict the test to well-designed OTL tube amps, you may very well be right. I think the "tube sound" we're talking about is the euphonic lushness of a SET amp, or at least one with an output transformer.

fpitas said:
The subject of this thread started as a "When did you stop beating your wife?" sort of question, and went downhill from there.
It's worse than that. It is possible that you were beating your wife. It is extremely unlikely that a turntable is better as a sound reproduction mechanism than any minimally-competent CD player.

Other possible threads:
'how much lower in distortion is SET than push-pull?'
'how much do cables improve sound?'
'why do crystals in the listening room improve the soundstage?'
'why does the sound improve when I reduce the supply rail voltage in my tube buffer?'
'where did the groundside electrons go?'

Status
Not open for further replies.