How best to be an audio evangelist?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Badwater said:
Next week I am having a Birthday Speaker Bash. I have invited all sorts of folks over to listen to my system and celebrate my birthday. I have 4 builds for them to listen to: FE166ES-R factory recommended BLH with T90A supertweeter and DIY sub, FX200 MLTL with FT17H tweeter, small FE167 MLTL and finally a Half Chang using the FE207 with FT17H tweeter. When I made the invitation I told them exactly what they were in for and told them I would not be offended if they weren’t interested and didn't want to come. I also told them I would play portions of their favorite CD if brought one along.

So far I have about 20-30 folks are coming over to hang out, listen to music, eat and drink. I am not expecting to convert anyone but I am expecting to have a good time.

I will report back on how it goes. It will be interesting.

You could always ask them to bring their own speakers as well !!!

I had the party and about 40 folks showed up. I played a lot of music and for a change my wife wasn't telling me to turn down the music :D . My unscientific breakdown of the interest in the speakers:

4-6 -were very interested and asked lots questions
5-10 Passing interest/just being polite.
3-4 Could care less about the speakers and just wanted to listen to the music

The rest said hello. "Those are really neat.....ugh, wheres the beer?" In other words could care less.

I have attached some pictures of the line up.

From left to right:

Fostex FE166ES-R Factory recommend BLH with T90A Supertweeter
Half Chang with FE 207E and FT17H Supertweeter
FX200 MLTL with FT17H Supertweeter
FE167E small MLTL

Source: FLAC >>>Squeezebox>>>Channel Islands DAC>>>>PAS3 with Curcio premium mods>>>ST70 with Curcio premium mods.

FWIW, the overall ranking of the speakers from great to very good is:

FE166ESR
Half Chang
FX200
FE167E

Attachments

• imgp4167.jpg
    imgp4167.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 318
Nelson Pass said:
You want a vinyl copy of "Steam Locomotives under Thundering
Skies", apparently the first Mobile Fidelity release.

Used copies are generally in good shape - it doesn't get played
much - We used it every couple hours to clear the room at RMAF.

Heh heh.. We used various bits of 'metal' and the like. Played real loud. (this was in Montreal, at the 'FSI' show)

Microdynamics = the tiny little noises that, on a good system, can still be heard clearly behind the big loud noises.

Often loud noises mask the details in the quiet noises so the music seems less real. Lack of that background detail is why some speakers that measure really well just don't have any life. Then you listen to something that has terrible frequency response and peaks all over the place and it should sound horrible, but there is a special realism and life to it that is difficult to describe.

I was happy with my old system for years until I experienced this effect listening to a friend's system. I didn't even like his music but the hair on the back of my neck was standing on end. From that moment I was condemned to an expensive addiction.

Sounds like it was a great party. What a good idea.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.