how accurate are the box simulations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Tim

Yes, quite shocking. I wrote to Kicker Technical Dept and they in fact agreed with me that this is the only model that can be used for IB. I don't really know the reasons for the wide discrepancies. I have made a copy of the manual that is included with the C15. Shows the full T/S of different models. For comparison, below is the full T/S with LMS.

Model = KICKER C15

Re (ohms) = 4.52
Zmax (ohms) = 50.73
Fo (Hz) = 23.71
Qms = 8.81
Qes = 0.86
Qts = 0.79
Vas (Liters) = 156.75
Cms (pM/N) = 150.65
Mms (Grams) = 299.00
Sd (sqMtr) = 0.0856
BL (T-M) = 15.27
No (%) = 0.23
SPLo (dB) = 85.71

My C15 is not broken in yet but the difference is not much. About 10%. Vas will be slightly larger, Fo slightly lower. You are right, it is suitable for IB. With a Sealed Box volume of 35cu ft (1000L), the Q=0.85

I haven't got the time to box the C15 so I can't tell you how it performs. The T/S is only good for assisting in the box loading/tuning. Regardless of how well you load the driver, some subs simply has no definition. These are the ones that are "boomy". The ones I'm after are those that have punch and good definition. When its right, you can make out a lot of information in the bass. The only way is to listen to them.

Rob is absolutely right. Simulations are very accurate. The problem lies in the accuracy of the T/S data. If one does a lot of speakers, it is a good investment to get one of those woofer tester from Parts Express.

Mike

Attachments

• KICKER_C15.jpg
    KICKER_C15.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 32
  • KICKER_C15_1.jpg
    KICKER_C15_1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 34
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.