Hornresp

MikeHunt79 said:
I've been using Hornresp with various voltages to find where my driver will run out of xmax at different frequencies... I was thinking it would be really to have a voltage plot on the "Max SPL" curve. Would this be possible?

So I put in say 5mm xmax, 300W power, and hornresp would produce a voltage curve as well as an SPL one. Perhaps the scale for voltage could be on the right have side and the curve itself could be a different colour so it won't get mixed up with the SPL curve?

I'm not sure if this is possible as I'm not really sure quite how all the maths behind this works... but if it is that would be a great feature IMO. :)

Hi Mike,

I'll have a look at it after I finish enhancing the Tapped Horn Wizard tool.

Please note that this does not necessarily mean that I will go ahead and include a voltage plot :).

Kind regards,

David

agent.5 said:
Does Hornresp require special DLL files to run?

I arm using a stripped down version of XP over VMWare (OSX) and a lot of stuffs purposely are not installed. I can't get Hornresp to run. Does Hornresp uses Visual Basic or other Microsoft specific stuffs?

Hi agent.5,

Hornresp is a Visual Basic 3 application. I have no idea what files it requires from the Operating System. I do know that it works well with the normal version of XP, though.

No external DLL files are called specifically from the source code.

I assume that you have installed the Vbrun300.dll file as instructed in the Readme.txt file provided as part of the download package?

Kind regards,

David

aznboi3644 said:
Is there a tutorial on how to use Hornresp???

I've tried quite a few times to attempt to decipher the help files but to no avail.

basically I am really confused on where to start.

Hi aznboi3644,

The only Hornresp tutorial I am aware of is located at http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=Hornresp+Help

It's a bit dated now, and some of the input parameter names have changed, but it still may be of some use.

I was not involved in setting up the web page.

Incidentally, it's real easy to get started in Hornresp - just click the 'Calculate' button to see how the program operates with the default record, or click the 'Add' button if you wish to create and edit your own new record :).

Kind regards,

David

David McBean said:

Hi aznboi3644,

The only Hornresp tutorial I am aware of is located at http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=Hornresp+Help

It's a bit dated now, and some of the input parameter names have changed, but it still may be of some use.

I was not involved in setting up the web page.

Incidentally, it's real easy to get started in Hornresp - just click the 'Calculate' button to see how the program operates with the default record, or click the 'Add' button if you wish to create and edit your own new record :).

Kind regards,

David

What is the "default" record...I'm trying to enter the parameters for an EHQS 12 but am lost

T/S parameters:
Qts: .375
Qes: 0.49
Qms: 1.506
Fs: 25 Hz
Re: 1.8
Vas: 157 L
MMS: 90g
BL: 7.2 Tm
SPL: 89.1 dB
SD: 510 M^2
Xmax: 9.1 MM

Magnet Width: 5.25"
Cutout: 11.00"
Mounting Depth: 5.00"
Total Height: 5.60"
Displacement: .04 cF
Outside Diameter: 12.00"

Box Size: 1.5cF Sealed / 2.0cF Vented
Power Handling: 200w

David McBean said:

Hi Mike,

I'll have a look at it after I finish enhancing the Tapped Horn Wizard tool.

Please note that this does not necessarily mean that I will go ahead and include a voltage plot :).

Kind regards,

David
Hi David,

No problem. I always look forward to new versions, and even without the voltage plot I can roughly set the limiters anyway, so I was only suggesting it as something extra anyway. :)

Cheers
Will

HORNRESP VERSION 19.30

Hi Everyone,

Hornresp Version 19.30 has just been released. Two changes have been made as outlined below:

1. After giving the matter serious consideration I decided not to include the voltage chart as requested by ‘MikeHunt79’. The relevant voltage value has however been added to the Maximum SPL chart Sample results. Hopefully this will be sufficient for most purposes. If required, the voltage can be sampled at several frequency points and the results hand-plotted on a graph to give an indication of how the voltage changes with frequency.

2. The Tapped Horn Wizard now has three modes of operation:

Mode 1 - ‘Horn’

Lengths L12, L23 & L34 for a three segment horn and L12, L23, L34 & L45 for a four segment horn can now all be adjusted from within the tool. The tapped horn total length is also given.

(Adjust L23 for a three segment horn and L23 & L34 for a four segment horn to change the overall horn length).

Note that the operation of the mouth-end slider (L34 or L45) has reverted back to its original direction, with values increasing from left to right. All sliders are auto-ranging.

Mode 2 - ‘Driver’

Driver parameter values can be adjusted from within the tool. This comes in handy when trying to identify an optimum driver for a given tapped horn design. The equivalent Thiele-Small parameter values are also given (highlight any T-S parameter name in the combo box then use the up and down arrow keys to change the displayed result).

Operating in the ‘Driver’ mode makes it obvious just how sensitive tapped horns can be to even quite small changes in driver parameter values.

Mode 3 - ‘Schematic’

Changes to the horn dimensions and driver position can be immediately seen in the ‘real-time’ axisymmetric diagram. The overall system volume as requested by ‘iand’ is now also given. The schematic diagram makes it easier to understand how the three ‘length interaction’ modes work.

To summarise:

Ang, Eg, Rg, Nd, Vtc, Atc and the flare type/s are now the only input values that need to be fixed prior to selecting the Tapped Horn Wizard. All other parameter values including those for the driver, can be adjusted from within the tool, and changes to the SPL response and schematic diagram observed in real-time.

I hope that you have as much fun using the new Tapped Horn Wizard as I have had in getting it to work properly :). The internal operation of the tool is now rather complex and even though it has been extensively tested there are probably a few things that I have missed. Please let me know if you do find any bugs - thanks.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• wizard.jpg
    wizard.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,096
Thanx once again!!

I got my coffee already, so I´ll download at once and keep me from my busy work. I have too, it´s addictive using hornresp :)

One thing I came across a few days ago:
If I install a new version in a new directory, I get my old files even without the .dat file in the directory present. Is hornresp somehow getting the saved data from the registry? I thought it´s stored in a file in the directory where hornresp.exe resides? (Yes, I know, mixing different versions is a no - go :) I´m just curios how it´s done)

aznboi3644 said:
What is the "default" record...I'm trying to enter the parameters for an EHQS 12 but am lost

Hi aznboi3644,

The default record is record number 1, which you see when the program first opens. The Comment field reads: "Default horn loudspeaker parameters".

You will need to use the 'Calculate Parameter' tool to derive Cms, Rms and Mmd values from the relevant Thiele-Small parameters. See Hornresp Help page 8 for details.

Assume Le = 1 mH if you don't have the actual value.

Kind regards,

David

MikeHunt79 said:
Hi David,

No problem. I always look forward to new versions, and even without the voltage plot I can roughly set the limiters anyway, so I was only suggesting it as something extra anyway. :)

Cheers
Will

Hi Will,

My apologies for calling you Mike in my previous reply :).

Including the value of Eg in the Maximum SLP chart Sample results will hopefully make things a bit easier for you. Thanks for the suggestion.

Kind regards,

David

cowanaudio said:
G'day Sabbelbacke

HornResponse creates a directory called HORNRESP in the root directory of the drive that the program is run from. All the project data is stored in there.

David, thanks again for another great update and for your contribution to this forum!

Cheers

William Cowan

Hi William,

Thanks for the thanks, and thanks for replying to Sabbelbacke - you beat me to it :). The designs you published on your website are what sparked my interest in tapped horns in the first place :).

Kind regards,

David

Is there a tutorial on how to use Hornresp???
There is the one on the diy audio wiki and one in the form of a sticky on the speakerplans newbie forum after the WinISD Pro guide. The latter has questions and answers regarding new/changed Hornresp parameters. The orignal versions are in Dutch, I will get my head around getting all information from the forum versions to the others. Just a bit too busy with my study at the moment.

Regards Johan

agent.5 said:
Does Hornresp require special DLL files to run?

I arm using a stripped down version of XP over VMWare (OSX) and a lot of stuffs purposely are not installed. I can't get Hornresp to run. Does Hornresp uses Visual Basic or other Microsoft specific stuffs?

I'm running horn resp on my Macbook just fine.
You're using a "stripped down version of XP?" I hope you're not running tinyxp or something like that. Those hacked versions of Windows are known to contain trojans which use your PC to send bulk email. Or worse :O

I'm using Win 2K3 inside of VMWare Fusion on an Intel Core II Duo Macbook.

2" driver

Did a model of JBL2441 based on JBLs data and my measurements of Le, Re and Fs with the backcover removed. Also calculated Vas to be 2,2 dm2.

These are the graphs for a horn with parameters choosen to get the flare of the 2441s throat to correspond with the flare of the horn.

Could this model be accurate enough for use up to 2kHz?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Attachments

• 2441lec.jpg
    2441lec.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,118