Hornresp

Just downloaded and trying out. I entered all my S values, but it says error L12=0 and will not let me change any L value.

Also, I need to understand how to enter driver parameters.

Specifications: *Power handling: 200 watts RMS/400 watts continuous program *VCdia: 2" *Le: 0.8 mH *Impedance: 8 ohms *Re: 5.1 ohms *Frequency response: 70-4,000 Hz *Fs: 70 Hz *SPL: 97 dB 1W/1m *Vas: 0.6 cu. ft. *Qms: 3.7 *Qes: 0.21 *Qts: 0.20 *Xmax: 6 mm *Dimensions: Overall diameter 8.8", Cutout diameter 7.4", Depth 3.7".

HR needs Sd, Cms, Mmd, Bl, Rms, Nd
Only Re and Le given in above. I guess I need formulas for figuring what HR needs?

Thanks

What driver is it ?

Okay, I fixed the errors and performed a run. Here is what I get:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Drawing of how I measured:
http://www.jracrylic.com/cpf/thsm3.jpg

Let me know if this looks right. I do see the driver is not a perfect match, but doesn't seem too bad. I used same driver in previous post.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi All, I just started using HornResp....Great program David. I am designing 100hz Tractrix horns to match the 250hz tractrix midrange I just build. For that one, I just drew the right sized curve and made the horns. Amazingly, it worked. This time, I am going to use a cone driver instead of the TAD CD so I thought I'd try my hand at modeling it first. SO, is there a tutorial for HornResp? Once I get it figured out, I'll post results. I am hoping to have these built in the next 3 weeks.

Hi All, I have a few questions about this project: if you don't mind.

1. how do I determine what size the throat should be?

2. What curve should I use to get the shortest horn?

3. would using more than one segment allow me to go down lower with the same size horn with just one segment?

4. I've thought about using the Beta 8, but only because I've heard it works well with bass horns. Is it good?

My biggest issue is having to cross over at 120hz, or there about, to my subs. Seem to high by my intuition. Size is any issue, but a minor one. A friend has a CNC machine so hogging the horn flares out perfect is not an issue and he will not charge me so cost is not an issue either. Thanks in advance.

Bug Fix

Hi Everyone,

To enter L12 just click on it till it says Con or Exp then enter the length.

Further to brsanko's comment above, it was originally possible to toggle between Con and Exp in Hornresp by double-clicking on the length input box label, even when the input box contained a zero. During recent checking I discovered that this functionality has not worked correctly since the program was converted from 16-bit to 32-bit operation - back at Version 20.00. The problem has now been fixed in Product Number 2630-100408.

Note that a non-zero length value is still required for the selected flare type to be permanently retained.

My apologies for any inconvenience or confusion caused by this bug (which managed to "slip under the radar" for quite some time).

Kind regards,

David

David,

Thanks again for such a wonderful product. A couple of questions:

1) What exactly is happening "under the hood" in hornresp when you run a calculation with the Multiple Speakers wizard? It seems to be recalculating based on the new resistance and inductance. But does Hornresp take into consideration the increased physical dimensions associated with multiple speakers, i.e. a larger combined mouth? Does it assume they're stacked vertically, horizontally, etc?

2) In another thread, I recall asking you if you had any plans to make Hornresp more "network aware" in terms of being able to add components into the tuned circuits that comprise the network between amplifier and driver(s) - at the time you said no. But after modeling Tapped Horns for a few weeks, I'm increasingly seeing a need to model in this way, even if there were only the option to insert a single component with RLC values into the network at a given point. Are you able to accommodate this functionality in any way in the future?

Hi letsbangout,

What exactly is happening "under the hood" in hornresp when you run a calculation with the Multiple Speakers wizard? It seems to be recalculating based on the new resistance and inductance. But does Hornresp take into consideration the increased physical dimensions associated with multiple speakers, i.e. a larger combined mouth? Does it assume they're stacked vertically, horizontally, etc?

The increased physical dimensions associated with multiple speakers are taken into account by Hornresp. The "larger combined mouth" is assumed to be circular - for this reason the program does not need to know how the speakers are stacked.

In another thread, I recall asking you if you had any plans to make Hornresp more "network aware" in terms of being able to add components into the tuned circuits that comprise the network between amplifier and driver(s) - at the time you said no. But after modeling Tapped Horns for a few weeks, I'm increasingly seeing a need to model in this way, even if there were only the option to insert a single component with RLC values into the network at a given point. Are you able to accommodate this functionality in any way in the future?

Sorry, but I still have no plans to make Hornresp more "network aware". It is however always possible to export a script to AkAbak, and then add in external components as required.

Kind regards,

David

Hi David, thank you for doing all this. I know it is a lot of work and you've done a great job. The other night, I was working in the program and somehow I clicked on one of the boxes and a seperate box came up that allowed me to pick what flare I wanted. I think there were 6 or 7 to chose from. In the past I click on the third box over (don't have the program up at the moment) and hit "T" from tractrix. Since then, I've not been able to find that new window with all the types of flares listed. Where is that???

To anyone, what is the lowest hz front loaded straight non-round horn anyone has modeled and built? I would like to be below 100hz and just can't get my head around how to inturpret the HornResp modeling data. Cheers.

Last edited: