Hornresp

I just downloaded the new HornResp. Alas when I try to run it (in Wine under Ubuntu) it complains that it can't find font "Courier New" and then takes its bat and ball and goes home. :)

I am not really conversant with fonts. I think Wine uses truefonts which hornresp I believe can not use. There is a Windows/fonts directory in the wine structure. Is there anyway that I can get the expected font file(s) and put them in that directory to make it work?

mike

I just downloaded the new HornResp. Alas when I try to run it (in Wine under Ubuntu) it complains that it can't find font "Courier New" and then takes its bat and ball and goes home. :)

I am not really conversant with fonts. I think Wine uses truefonts which hornresp I believe can not use. There is a Windows/fonts directory in the wine structure. Is there anyway that I can get the expected font file(s) and put them in that directory to make it work?

mike

Hmmm, it worked for me the last time I tried. I don't remember any shenanigans with fonts. I'll test next time I am on the Ubuntu machine (might be a while though...)

Thankyou very much David. You have added greatly usefull features.

How many times have you been asked for a new software tool option to design front loaded horns that has sliders like your tapped horn tool?

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the thanks :).

To provide slider controls for other horn types would require a lot of work, and because the calculation times can be rather long for some designs, the operation of the sliders would become very "clunky" in those cases.

To directly answer your question - you are the third person to ask about more slider controls. It is unlikely to happen - sorry.

Kind regards,

David

Hi Mike,

Hornresp uses both TrueType and fixed-width fonts.

'Courier New' is a fixed-width font required by the program. It seems that it is currently not available on your computer.

Kind regards,

David

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the thanks :).

To provide slider controls for other horn types would require a lot of work, and because the calculation times can be rather long for some designs, the operation of the sliders would become very "clunky" in those cases.

To directly answer your question - you are the third person to ask about more slider controls. It is unlikely to happen - sorry.

Kind regards,

David

Have to ask. Working on a bunch of front loaded horns lately. And I only wish I had the type of sliders I ask for. Make things oh so much easier. But I still appreciate the work you have put into the program. I like the new features as I have had time to play around yesterday.

Mark

Have to ask. Working on a bunch of front loaded horns lately. And I only wish I had the type of sliders I ask for. Make things oh so much easier.

Hi Mark,

Out of curiosity I tried adding a 3 second delay to the Tapped Horn Wizard calculation time to see what would happen. Operation of the sliders became unworkable under those conditions. In most cases Hornresp simply locked up and had to be shut down and restarted.

Note that long front-loaded hyperbolic-exponential bass horns can have calculation times exceeding 10 seconds :).

Kind regards,

David

So more notes on my delima.

I checked the data file.
It reads 87 KB while an old .dat file (which works) reads 16 KB.
Of course the old one only has 47 entries. When I open the .dat file it only shows info for 1 entry.

Hi FlipC,

If you care to send me copies of both your Hornresp.dat data files, I will see if I can work out what has gone wrong (and attempt to repair the corrupted file).

My email address is dmcbean@bigpond.com

Did you install the latest version of Hornresp in the same folder as before, overwriting your earlier version?

Kind regards,

David

Thanx once again for the very usefull extensions of hornresp. This will come in handy and are much appreciated :)

Hi Sabbelbacke,

You're most welcome. Happy New Year! If you come across any bugs in Version 25.00, please don't forget to let me know :).

I have already fixed a minor error I found in the Tapped Horn Wizard. (When the Eg slider is set to zero, the driver diaphragm should have a constant rms velocity of 10 cm/sec - this was not happening). The latest release is Product Number 2500-100105.

Kind regards,

David

Hi Mark,

Out of curiosity I tried adding a 3 second delay to the Tapped Horn Wizard calculation time to see what would happen. Operation of the sliders became unworkable under those conditions. In most cases Hornresp simply locked up and had to be shut down and restarted.

Note that long front-loaded hyperbolic-exponential bass horns can have calculation times exceeding 10 seconds :).

Kind regards,

David

Thanks for trying David. At least I'm not the only one with the thought as to if it could work. Is it a question of horsepower under the hood or the programing itself. I think you are using visual basic? Not that I can help in that regard. My high level programing language was Turbo Pascal!

Could it work with conical horns? That is what we all usually end up with when we build bass horns anyway. I make a conic that approximates what ever shape is designed.

Mark

G'day David

Another little bug in Hornresponse to report.

I set S1 to 0 in a tapped horn design (HR 24.00) and an error message came up. After closing the error message the program hung and I could no longer change any values. Perhaps you could add a very small value to S1 to stop the error happening at all.

Cheers

William Cowan

Hi Mark,

Is it a question of horsepower under the hood or the programing itself. I think you are using visual basic? Not that I can help in that regard. My high level programing language was Turbo Pascal!

It's mainly a question of processor horsepower, although inherently Visual Basic is certainly a bit slower than Pascal (which can be almost as fast as Fortran).

Could it work with conical horns?

Yes, and with any multiple-segment system having conical and/or exponential flares.

I have no plans at the moment to do anything about it though... :).

Tapped horns appealed to me originally because they are very sensitive to dimensional changes, making the Wizard particularly useful in this case - I was really just looking for something to test out the slider concept.

Kind regards,

David