Hornresp

I thought I posted this question, but it seems lost. Excuse me if I double posted this.
I would to combine tractrix mouth sections with other flare sections. Is that possible for a future update?

Hi Ivo,

A similar question was asked in Post #475, but by somebody else. My answer has to be the same though - because it would effectively require a complete re-build of Hornresp, it's not going to happen :).

Kind regards,

David

Hornresp Version 24.00

Hi Everyone,

The latest release of Hornresp can import / export files containing individual records.

An exported record is saved as a text file, and can be:

1. Transferred as an e-mail attachment from one Hornresp user to another.
2. Included as an attachment to a forum message.
3. Opened in Notepad and the text copied and pasted into the body of a forum message.

To import a record embedded as a text listing in a forum message:

1. Copy the record text from the message and then paste into Notepad and save as a text file.
2. Place the text file in the Hornresp \ Import folder.
3. Import the record using File > Import from the input parameters window.

Notes:

1. Regional number setting conversions are handled automatically - for example, a record file exported by a user in Germany can be directly imported by a user in England.

2. Because the exported record is saved as a text file, when the filename is double-clicked in Windows Explorer the file will open in Notepad rather than in Hornresp.

3. It is possible to edit the text file in Notepad, although this action is not recommended. In particular, the Version Number shown in line 1 of the listing should never be altered.

4. The HornrespMerge program may not work properly with the latest release of Hornresp.

5. A sample exported record file text listing is shown below. The file is also included as an attachment to this message.

Ver=24.00
Ang=2.0 x Pi
Eg=2.83
Rg=0.00
Fta=2.31
S1=275.00
S2=306.70
Con=13.00
F12=0.00
S2=306.70
S3=713.50
Con=128.50
F23=0.00
S3=713.50
S4=770.00
Con=14.50
F34=0.00
S4=0.00
S5=0.00
L45=0.00
F45=0.00
Sd=350.00
Bl=12.20
Cms=1.77E-04
Rms=3.22
Mmd=25.45
Le=1.20
Re=5.10
TH=1
Vrc=0.00
Lrc=0.00
Ap1=0.00
Lpt=0.00
Vtc=0.00
Atc=0.00
Com=William Cowan 60 hertz tapped horn with Eighteen Sound 10W400 driver

Please let me know if you find any bugs in the latest release.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• example.txt
    435 bytes · Views: 79
Last edited:
Hello david,

I could download the text file attached to your message (example.txt) and import it successfully in Hornresp.

This import function is a great new feature for the Hornresp users.

Thanks a lot.

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Hi Everyone,

For some reason I am experiencing difficulties downloading a copy of the example.txt file attached to the previous message. Does anyone else have the same problem?

Is this a forum bug, perhaps?

Kind regards,

David

Thanks, David.
Having the parameters labeled is a nice touch. It'll make it easy for anyone wanting to move designs to/from other programs, though I don't know why anyone would want to use anything other than Hornresp. :)

I had no trouble with the attached file, it has the right attributes - I click on it, Firefox asks me if I want to save it, or open it with the default program for .TXT files.

Hi David,
Version 24.00 works fine so far for me.
One thing I noticed, and I notice it every time I install a new version, is the restriction to installing in the folder "drive:\HORNRESP". I prefer to organise my storage so that related programs are grouped together. for example I would put Hornresp in \Speakers\Hornresp. Others might put it in \Program Files\Hornresp. The import/export functions of Hornresp are happy to work like this, but Hornresp always looks for (and saves) the .DAT file in \Hornresp.

So if you could consider a low-priority wishlist item to load/save the .DAT file in the current folder, I for one would be grateful. By "current folder", I mean the one that hornresp.exe is started from, or the one specified in the "Start In..." field in a Windows shortcut.

This would not affect people who like it the way it is, it would just add the ability to install it somewhere other than \Hornresp.

Regards,
Don.

Last edited:
Hi Don,

Version 24.00 works fine so far for me.

Excellent news - thanks.

So if you could consider a low-priority wishlist item to load/save the .DAT file in the current folder, I for one would be grateful.

By way of explanation - Hornresp.dat was originally restricted to [Drive Letter]:\HORNRESP to make it a easier for me to provide support to users who were having data file corruption problems.

As a result of ongoing refinements to the program though, it is now far more difficult for a user to unintentionally corrupt the data file.

Therefore - I see no reason why I cannot now relax the Hornresp.dat file location constraint, as you suggest.

I will have a look at the code this weekend, if I get the chance.

Kind regards,

David

Hornresp Version 24.10

Hi Don,

I will have a look at the code this weekend, if I get the chance.

All done - Version 24.10 refers.

The import/export functions of Hornresp are happy to work like this,

Just to clarify - the locations of the import and export files were also previously restricted :).

Kind regards,

David

Thanks David, I'll check it out.
I was unaware the import/export functions used to be restricted in location - When I tried them at version 24.00, they worked as expected. That is, I installed version 24.00 in \speakers\hornresp. The import/export functions defaulted to folders \speakers\hornresp\import and \speakers\hornresp\export.

Whatever, thanks for adding the flexibility. As we store more and more stuff on our computers, it becomes more and more important to manage it. There's a saying that applies to computers as well as daily life: when storing something, remember where you put it.

Hi Don,

That is, I installed version 24.00 in \speakers\hornresp. The import/export functions defaulted to folders \speakers\hornresp\import and \speakers\hornresp\export.

Just to clarify - Version 24.00 created the Import and Export folders under [Drive]:\Hornresp. It was simply not possible for the folders to be generated anywhere else - the code did not exist in the program to allow this to happen. The necessary code was added in Version 24.10.

To make absolutely sure, as a double-check confirmation I installed a copy of Hornresp Version 24.00 in folder C:\Speakers\Hornresp and deleted the existing Import and Export folders from under C:\Hornresp. I then ran Hornresp Version 24.00 from C:\Speakers\Hornresp, and as expected the new Import and Export folders were created under C:\Hornresp not C:\Speakers\Hornresp.

There's a saying that applies to computers as well as daily life: when storing something, remember where you put it.

Careful - you are now making a strong argument for putting things back the way that they were, with the Import and Export folders located under [Drive]:\Hornresp. With this arrangement it is then a lot easier to remember where the files are saved - they can only be in the one place :).

Kind regards,

David

Last edited: