Hornresp

Post #460

Hi Michael,

There is a "Collaborative tapped horn" thread, that might be more appropriate for this question, and without your Hornresp input screen even a crystal ball won't get anybody near an adequate answer. Naturally, that won't keep us from trying, or will it? :), and what did I miss this time?

Regards,

My appologies; here it is...

Attachments

• input parameters jbl 6_5 th.jpg
    input parameters jbl 6_5 th.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 552
Post #462

Hi Michael,

I'll attach a four section version of a tapped horn simulation with your JBL 6.5" parameters, just as an example. There are any number of threads on tapped horns now, take a look at this one:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=134369

As to Hornresp usage, whenever your mouse pointer is on top of an entry field the bottom information bar tells you something about the field's contents, e.g.: Vtc's unit of measurement is cc. When looking at the schematic diagram the pointer will pop up information about different sections of the design. Also, the help file is really helpful.

I like to use the 4-section horn for a tapped horn as it provides added flexibility, and thanks to David McBean, the price is the same. Just have some fun with the Wizard, look at the other threads, and I'm sure it'll make sense very quickly.

Regards,

Attachments

• hornresp_th_example.jpg
    hornresp_th_example.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 536
throat chanber vs. throat

OK...that brings up more questions, but for those, I will take your advice and go to the "collaborative tapped horn project". (Yes, I know, where I should have gone in the first place...my appologies, and thank you all for your patience!)

Now for my current question. The short and simple version is: Where does the "throat chamber" end, and the "throat" begin? I read somewhere that the minimum throat chamber volume is the volume equal to that of the inside of the woofer cone; what if, as is the case with most tapped horns I've seen, ironically enough, the woofer is perpendicular to the horns waveguide? Does the throat begin at the center of the cone, or is all of the area between the plane of the woofer's gasket and the back wall of the device the "throat chamber" and the throat is at the top (for lack of a better word...this is assuming the device is standing on end) of the woofer? Again, in this case I'm only using a tapped horn as the example because most examples I've seen are configured this way...I'm actually trying to get clarification for a different project I'm considering, as I'm no longer certain that I'm quite ready to tackle a tapped horn...at least not until I've eased my mind that I understand these creatures!

Thanks again for all of your help.
Michael

Re: throat chanber vs. throat

bigdaddyrox4574 said:
I read somewhere that the minimum throat chamber volume is the volume equal to that of the inside of the woofer cone; what if, as is the case with most tapped horns I've seen, ironically enough, the woofer is perpendicular to the horns waveguide?

Hi Michael,

Hornresp assumes that the throat chamber of a tapped horn is the effective air volume between the driver diaphragm and the throat entry point (the opening in the panel that the driver is mounted on).

See Note 8 of the Hornresp Help file for details. Select the Schematic and Chamber options in the Tapped Horn Wizard to see a cross-sectional view of the throat chamber. Adjust the Vtc, Atc, Ap and Lpt sliders to see how the chamber and the port connecting the chamber through the panel to the horn, can be altered. Lpt is usually made equal to the thickness of the separating panel.

The throat chamber and port are also shown on the main Schematic Diagram.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• chamber.jpg
    chamber.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 454
Hornresp Version 21.30

Hi Everyone,

Hornresp can now calculate the impulse response of a front-loaded horn or direct radiator loudspeaker system. My thanks to Jean-Michel Le Cléac’h for providing the necessary algorithm. No claims are made as to the accuracy of the results.

Version 21.30 refers.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• impulse.jpg
    impulse.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 386
********Feature request********

I was trying model a driver mounted to the sides of a tractrix horn(danley style)

My suggestions

1. allow horn segments before tractrix, OS, l'cleach segment
2. Change the way segments are handled to allow for more segments(say 200)
and I can simulate them in conical segments

Of either option needs to still work in offset driver mode

Mach5 said:
My suggestions

1. allow horn segments before tractrix, OS, l'cleach segment
2. Change the way segments are handled to allow for more segments(say 200)
and I can simulate them in conical segments

Of either option needs to still work in offset driver mode

Hi Mach5,

Unfortunately the features you suggest would require a complete re-build of Hornresp. Sorry, it is just not going to happen :).

Kind regards,

David

GM said:
Short of reusing older sims, is there a way to increase the 999 limit or choose which .dat file to load?

Hi GM,

It is not possible for Hornresp users to increase the 999 limit or to choose a different data file to load. I was wondering when you would reach the limit - I could see from your recent input parameter screenprints that you were starting to get close. You must be the only person in the world to have 999 records in Hornresp :).

Kind regards,

David