Hornresp

How does one get from diaphragm velocity to throat velocity?

Hi Oliver,

The throat velocity chart has been replaced by the diaphragm velocity chart. The Sample tool can still be used with the SPL response chart to calculate the horn throat peak particle velocity at specified frequencies, if so required.

When resonances are unmasked and a throat chamber is present, it is not possible to directly calculate the throat velocity from the diaphragm velocity.

Kind regards,

David

I found the throat peak particle velocity an important parameter, and it's good to know that it is still maintained in the SPL/sample.

Hi Oliver,

Is being able to sample throat velocity values at specific frequencies sufficient for your purposes, or would it be more helpful to have the complete set of values plotted on a chart, as was done previously?

I would like to gain a better understanding of the relative merits of the various charts we have now tried, and how the data they present can be used in a practical sense. Also, are there perhaps other more useful charts that should be included in Hornresp, either as additions or as optional choices?

To summarise -

Old charts:

Throat sound pressure - how is this information used?
Throat particle velocity - how is this information used?

New charts:

Diaphragm pressure - how is this information used?
Diaphragm velocity - how is this information used?

Other charts:

???????

Comments (by anyone) on how a given chart can assist in the loudspeaker design process, would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

David

Velocity for a given frequency along the horn axis would be very helpful to place dampening material. Also velocity for all frequencies given a position along the axis would be helpful in determining which frequencies will be most affected by dampening material at this point.

Diaphragm pressure is useful for estimation of the shear force on the diaphragm.

Throat particle velocity is useful for estimation of compression/depression distortion.

Velocity for a given frequency along the horn axis would be very helpful to place dampening material. Also velocity for all frequencies given a position along the axis would be helpful in determining which frequencies will be most affected by dampening material at this point.

Diaphragm pressure is useful for estimation of the shear force on the diaphragm.

Throat particle velocity is useful for estimation of compression/depression distortion.

Hi Mårten,

Thanks for your comments. When you say "diaphragm pressure is useful for estimation of the shear force on the diaphragm", would the actual force acting on the diaphragm in newtons perhaps also be a handy chart to have? I assume that the force values could be calculated from Mmd and the diaphragm acceleration?

Kind regards,

David

Post #3233

Hi David,

I liked the throat particle velocity data as it gives me a quick view at the behaviour of the air not just for a horn, but e.g.: at the inside end of a bass-reflex vent. Particle velocity does not quite align w/ SPL or impedance, so it was nice to have the chart.

But, there are other forum members who use Hornresp to actually build speakers, for me it is just an area of interest and learning, so I'd rather you take input from e.g.: mwmkravchenko, jbell or NEO Dan (I know, there is a long list) than from me.

Regards,

@ David McBean

I definately wasn't proposing for you to include multiple filters :D Just a variable HPF to alleviate excursion. This is what i expect everyone that has requested it would Really appreciate :)

As i'm sure you realise only too well, taking the virtual design into an actual build, will require a HPF to protect the driver/s. Without being able to simulate designs with an HPF in place, means we are missing a crucial part of the bigger picture :(

It really would help, & be the icing on the cake :)