Horn loaded systems (pictures, description and building tips)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Temp solution to test the mid horn
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

another test

More evolution

As they stand / souind now

That'S.....BIG! Congrats.
I wish i could have the space for something like that.
Are they multi-amped?

Are they multi-amped?

Yes, I am using 5 D class T-amps at the moment. Still on passive crossovers but with the 5 amps and attenuating the source signal to get each driver pair at the right volume I could eliminate all the L-pads for great SQ gain. L-pads are the devils work i think I read on this forum and I have to agree. Necessary if no other possible solution but not desirable.

I might look at small SET amps for the mid / upper mid and tweeter yet but it sounds very good as is.

The T-amps were hopeless on less efficient speakers - Tannoy 15" HPD's in GRF cab for example but at 105dB /w as the least efficient of the horns (the tweeters) the T-amps power the tapped / mid bass / mid / upper mid horns with plenty of punch and loudness for my room.

All for 15W consumption so I don't might leaving it all on a lot (as I would with the Tube amp I have) and that is convienience. I have a 300W consumption, 20W output KT88 PP Class A with a massive power transformer and nice Lundahl output transformers but that is not really needed in the system any more. Sniff sniff - it was a great DIY project and I have had it 9 years!

The only fly in the ointment is the T-amps do hiss a bit - known problem (too much input stage gain) so on the upper mid (~110+dB/W) there is some audible hiss but not a problem form the listening chair - the tube amp is silent... hence the little SET idea...

Last edited:
The only fly in the ointment is the T-amps do hiss a bit - known problem (too much input stage gain) so on the upper mid (~110+dB/W) there is some audible hiss but not a problem form the listening chair - the tube amp is silent... hence the little SET idea...

Yeah, finding really quiet small amps for multi-amp systems is apparently not easy. The normal plate amps (from PE, etc) for subwoofers are mostly horrible, with high THD and noise.

Anyone try the little Kemo amps? I can't find specs on them, so they probably aren't that good.
Kemo Electronic GmbH Modules Devices Cases Kits Marten Defense

Marchand makes these 50 watt modules, but you have to provide a box and misc:
PM221 50 Watt Power Amplifier Module

Any way I cut it, going multi-amp is complicated and difficult.

Gets expensive too. Hence the trial on T-amps - nice and cheap.
I was surprised what one T-amp did running all 5 drivers L-pads on upper mid and mid horn. It ran the PP amp very close on sound quality on the efficient horns

How do all these other horn systems we see do it then? Do most accept L-pads?

I am looking at DSP / DEQX but have not dipped my toe in that water yet. Fiddlers paradise of course but ultimate sound qual?...

Yeah, finding really quiet small amps for multi-amp systems is apparently not easy. The normal plate amps (from PE, etc) for subwoofers are mostly horrible, with high THD and noise.

Anyone try the little Kemo amps? I can't find specs on them, so they probably aren't that good.
Kemo Electronic GmbH Modules Devices Cases Kits Marten Defense

Marchand makes these 50 watt modules, but you have to provide a box and misc:
PM221 50 Watt Power Amplifier Module

Any way I cut it, going multi-amp is complicated and difficult.

I was surprised what one T-amp did running all 5 drivers L-pads on upper mid and mid horn. It ran the PP amp very close on sound quality on the efficient horns

I am looking at DSP / DEQX but have not dipped my toe in that water yet. Fiddlers paradise of course but ultimate sound qual?...

I am planning to build a similar system, but i think that i will stick to SE tube amps, exept for the lowest part, where a t-amp is better suited. hope i cab get my hands on an ESS dac with 8 channel until then :D.

I don't see a problem with L pads and horns. Obviously, L pads are not needed if there are multiple amps, each with a gain control. so, instead of making heat in the resistors, you get sound!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.