Horn Loaded Neo8s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Will do-

Here is one other thing that I am interested to try-

Essentially slot loading the drivers into a horn using two 10" PVC pipes (or sonotube) which could be filled with sand or concrete.

The concept here being that the slot loading would load the horn more perfectly as the HF would not roll off the further off axis you get from the driver. I like the idea of taking more of the hard edges out in the transition, but I've read some papers about horn mouth size and it seems as if this might create a ripple with the mouth smaller then 1/6?

Any thoughts on that?

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 498
Which gets me thinking (uh oh) that if a larger ribbon could be loaded to get good response down to 125 or lower (RD75?) a horn loaded wall/soffit/horn could be really interesting. . .

Those are 15" woofers in the middle. this room is only about 10ft wide. I mostly just wanted to play with the concept, but in a wide room it would be easy to have two half circles as the outside edges of the horn. Interestingly something like this could probably get a decent WAF. In a home situation as the hole part in the middle basically looks like an entertainment center. I've also built enough skateboard ramps as a kid to know that this really wouldn't be that hard to build.

I'd love it if someone had a opinion on how this might work (or not). . .Probably the biggest problem would be that the 75 inch panel would have a high amount of line source behavior and the top octave would be under represented until the listener was further than 15 feet back. Hmm supertweeter?

Attachments

• horn room.jpg
    horn room.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 460
And the other question that occurs to me would be; how much of a problem would studio furniture be to the line source? I suppose 5" wedge foam would be necessary on the back of the desk. . . .

Of course what I'm dying to know is would these make a good ~125hz, or would it be one of those things where it might measure down into that range, but not actually sound better than a simple quality paper cone woofer. . .

Attachments

• horn room.funiture jpg.jpg
    horn room.funiture jpg.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 455
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.