Horn Honk $$ WANTED $$

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
161955d1268239401-horn-honk-wanted-celestion.gif

Hello Doug20,

For what its worth: here attached a graph with frequency response, group delay curve and CSD obtained using ARTA on your wave file.

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

161963d1268243155-horn-honk-wanted-celestion1425hf_wavelet.png

Hello Doug,

Thank you for the measurement data. Very interesting.

Here's the 3 cycle wavelet transform of the impulse response.

Those plots are a impressive demonstration what we possibly could gain once wavelet analysis gets implemented in one of the common measurements packages !

I had a look into that Octave software - only to find out that that's way too much "matlab style" for me. :(
I possibly (?) could make it beyond the learning curve - but its too much effort for me, not being a math head at all...

Michael

Last edited:
Those plots are a impressive demonstration what we possibly could gain once wavelet analysis gets implemented in one of the common measurements packages !

I had a look into that Octave software - only to find out that that's too much "matlab style" for me. :(

Michael
ARTA uses wavelets for the Burst Decay sonograms but the time axis is in periods rather than ms.

Hello Jean-Michel,

Here's the wavelet transform from the IR file you posted. Notice this is a 2 cycle wavelet, so it's giving more temporal resolution than the other ones I posted previously.

The plot is 300Hz-20kHz.

There is a lot of information in this picture!

- Elias

You'll find in attached file (in text format) as .wav (48kHz, 16 bits) the impulse reponse I measured on one of my horns (Fc = 320Hz, T = 0.707). The driver is the TAD TD2001.

Attachments

• Le_Cleach_TD2001_J321_I_300-20k_wavelet2.PNG
    Le_Cleach_TD2001_J321_I_300-20k_wavelet2.PNG
    153.5 KB · Views: 342
ARTA uses wavelets for the Burst Decay sonograms but the time axis is in periods rather than ms.

Thats good news ! - so an update for us from Ivo Mateljan is possibly only a few lines of code away...
;)

I have looked into a few measurements of mine by burst decay, but - no surprise - its too hard to get useful / intuitively pictures as structures are simply not equidistant for mouth reflections ....

Michael

Hello,

Thanks again Jean-Michel and Elias – very impressive results either way !
:)

No problem. It's a spirit of DIY :)

Elias – we see in the visualisation you got form Doug's IR file a certain repetitive structure – but its not *exactly* within the same spacing ( ~1ms) one would expect if those "multi path shadows" were from repetitive mouth reflection ?

Is there a possibility to improve about the visualisation ?
I mean, we know what the "ideal" plot would look like (the plot you have shown from your sound card measurement for example). If we then would subtract that "ideal behaviour" form what we see now, we would get the irregularities strongly highlighted – no?
Of course any GD (right shift) would have to be accounted for first.

Yes, well, sometimes the real life is more compilicated than textbook picture :D There must be many simultaneous reflections/diffractions going on in the horn so hardly they will be organised in a straight row in the result. They sum up in a very complex way, I suppose.

The other thought of your is very good idea actually. I may think about how to calculate the "error" signal from the wavelet transfrom.

- Elias

Yes, well, sometimes the real life is more compilicated than textbook picture :D There must be many simultaneous reflections/diffractions going on in the horn so hardly they will be organised in a straight row in the result. They sum up in a very complex way, I suppose.

It might be helpful to do a series of "honk granted" conical's (without any rounding whatsoever) – will see if I can provide measurements of a simple setup for say 0 60 120 180 deg included with the NEO driver ....
Should be fun to get those pix side by side...

Michael

Last edited:
Anyone want to walk me through creating the wavelet? I have several waveguides that I would love to run through it.

Like does it even work on Vista, downloaded and installed it.

The text based program came up and not anything gui...hmmm, reminds me of my unix days. (Hey, I remember ls type commands )

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.