Horn for Radian 950pb

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for sharing. That's a monster.:D

But it seems no one has used or shared the results yet. I'm wondering how the big titanium dome would work in the top range.

..it's new, and apparently in limited quantities.

As for it's upper freq. response - I guess it depends on the driver's surround. It's still going "break-up" around 14 kHz, you can't get around limitations of the of the driver's size. (..and titanium probably only gives you an extra 1-2 kHz of extension before "break-up" when compared to aluminum.) The severity however is often due to the surround. Integrated surrounds (that are part of the driver i.e. Titanium with Titanium surrounds), are usually *much* worse, though to some degree it also depends on the design.

Note that it also states that it's a "coated" driver. That could mean damping, but it could also mean "stiffening" via a special process - including oxidation. 18 Sound's Titanium Nitride drivers come to mind with the latter - which should increase the "break-up" region significantly.

Last edited:
A 1.4" exit adapter will almost certainly compromise the phase path of compression driver. It also alters the compression ratio (..and in a negative manner).
Turning the 950PB into a 1.4" driver is not a matter of adding a 2"/1.4" adapter, but of removing the integrated 1.4"/2" one (the throat).
It is similar to the JBL 2450H: back in the days meyer sound used to remove the throat of that compression driver (along with some other tweaks) to get a 1.5" throat-less driver (it was before JBL introduce the 2451H...).

Turning the 950PB into a 1.4" driver is not a matter of adding a 2"/1.4" adapter, but of removing the integrated 1.4"/2" one (the throat).
It is similar to the JBL 2450H: back in the days meyer sound used to remove the throat of that compression driver (along with some other tweaks) to get a 1.5" throat-less driver (it was before JBL introduce the 2451H...).

I would consider a true throatless driver to be a driver with the phase plug exit ~flush to the driver mounting flange. In this context the 1.4" conversion of the PB950 (PB951) does not make the driver throatless. According to Guido Behringer the phase plug exit is Ø1.5".
I have tried measuring the depth from the mounting flange to the phase plug exit without removing the bug screen and have concluded it to be some 17-18mm. This implies having a throat with a negative angle of about -4º.

I had a similar issue with my 350hz horns and JBL 2441 with Beryllium diaphragms. The highs got really beamy and there was a distortion that actually hurt my ears but I could not measure. I ended up going with the Radian Mylar surround diaphragms and the Big A$$ Heils above 5khz.

This is an old pic. I now have Lambda TD15X woofers in the bass cabs.

IMAG0093.jpg

I had a similar issue with my 350hz horns and JBL 2441 with Beryllium diaphragms. The highs got really beamy and there was a distortion that actually hurt my ears but I could not measure. I ended up going with the Radian Mylar surround diaphragms and the Big A$$ Heils above 5khz.

This is an old pic. I now have Lambda TD15X woofers in the bass cabs.

IMAG0093.jpg

Peavey 22A deep drawn aluminum one piece former/diaphragm with half round Mylar suspension circa 1972 or so cheap and solid. Very cool device for not a lot. I am told the square mag versions have different phase plug from the round mag 22A and the newer versions have different phase plugs again. Worth checking those out. Peavey have Ti diaphragm available with ti diaphragm and suspension but Kapton former for around $40.00 shipped if you look hard. I like mine on a number of horns but mostly on the CH-1 which it was designed for so that works. The CH-1 was designed by a pair of ex EV engineers and essentially is a half sized HR9040, nice horn. Best regards Moray James.

I typed up the information on the BA-750's real quick because people were wanting me to get them listed and I haven't checked the page since. I might have made a mistake. I'll check the specs and let you guys know. Worst case, they can be sent back to me with no problem at all.

Good customer service though! :)

( -hopefully the postage both ways is refunded as well ..for those that decide to make a return. ;) )

I don't believe Erich ever claimed a 3" diaphragm. That was an assumption the rest of us - myself included - made based on the size of the magnet.

He did say it has a 3" voice coil, probably a typo or a misunderstanding with the designer. In retrospect, considering the TAD 2002 has a 1.8" voice coil, I wouldn't expect the BA to have a bigger one than the TAD.

I have no intention of returning the BA-750. I wasn't really gonna cross it over too far below 850-900hz in the first place. It's $30 more than a De250 would have cost, and for my purposes it still looks like the best choice short of shelling out 10X more for a TAD 2002. The only other option I considered was the BMS 4550, but I wasn't confident I wanted to take it below ~1.2khz. I still want to try the BMS on a smaller 12" waveguide, though.

I do agree that when you get below 1khz, 3" diaphragms may start to have an edge. But you're balancing it with the > 6khz performance so it's all a personal choice. The only plausible way to pull off a true 3" diaphragm and have world class SQ would be the way the TAD went - a pricy exotic diaphragm. Otherwise why bother.

Again, the key I drew from this thread was that OP wanted a 16" wide dimension. I can't say I understand the need to cross much lower in frequency if that's your horn dimension.

Last edited:
I don't believe Erich ever claimed a 3" diaphragm. That was an assumption the rest of us - myself included - made based on the size of the magnet.

He did say it has a 3" voice coil, probably a typo or a misunderstanding with the designer. In retrospect, considering the TAD 2002 has a 1.8" voice coil, I wouldn't expect the BA to have a bigger one than the TAD.

I do agree that when you get below 1khz, 3" diaphragms may start to have an edge. But you're balancing it with the > 6khz performance so it's all a personal choice. The only plausible way to pull off a true 3" diaphragm and have world class SQ would be the way the TAD went - a pricy exotic diaphragm. Otherwise why bother.

Again, the key I drew from this thread was that OP wanted a 16" wide dimension. I can't say I understand the need to cross much lower in frequency if that's your horn dimension.

3" *VC* is a standard designation - with a resulting diaphragm slightly smaller than that. (..note though that some paging horn designs are more like cones and do not fit this standard model.)

It's pretty necessary for *comparison*.

For instance a 2" VC can be had from several sources.. Pyle has a few that are under $50 (..one from MCM is less than half that.)

Often when people discuss their desire for large format compression drivers (3" or greater VC's), it's about their sound rather than some specific characteristic (..like extended bandwidth or low harmonic distortion).

For instance the OP likes his 4" VC driver in the upper mid to treble range: i.e. operation ABOVE 1 kHz. Top-octave extension and low freq. extension don't seem to be a priority (..though wider dispersion for the limited pass-band does.) To the best of my knowledge there is no (non-diffraction wide dispersion) waveguide/horn that maximizes performance for a 2" exit driver in this range. In other words he needs a custom waveguide solution, NOT a different driver. (..he didn't like his 3" driver.)

Last edited:
Good customer service though! :)

( -hopefully the postage both ways is refunded as well ..for those that decide to make a return. ;) )

It's not really 'customer service' because it's not really a "business" right now. ;) That might change in the near future, but so far I've just been helping with group buys and other audio things. I actually run a landscaping business and had extra space to store all the group buy projects that were going on. The BA models tested good when there was work being done to make a really nice DE250 clone. I posted the graphs and photos for the BA model on the AVS forum, and a few guys over there said I should order some. So I did. But I didn't order very many.

It's not like the frequency response is incorrect, just a typo on the VC size. I'm not sure why that would be a deal breaker, but I'd gladly take any of them back. As far as I know, everyone that ordered the BA's wanted them well before I ever typed up the page anyway. And all I ever posted on AVS was the weight and frequency response, which is accurate. There was a typo on the VC size and I haven't looked back at the page since, but I'll certainly correct it later. I have some CD's with larger diaphragms, but I'm not satisfied with them yet, nor are they for 1" horns/waveguides.

The website isn't pushed at all, and most people don't even know those are on the site, or even know the site exists. 8 were ordered as of now, so it's certainly no big deal to get any of them back. I also told each person when they actually ordered that if they didn't like them, they could return them.

Last edited:
It's not really 'customer service' because it's not really a "business" right now. ;) That might change in the near future, but so far I've just been helping with group buys and other audio things. I actually run a landscaping business and had extra space to store all the group buy projects that were going on. The BA models tested good when there was work being done to make a really nice DE250 clone. I posted the graphs and photos for the BA model on the AVS forum, and a few guys over there said I should order some. So I did. But I didn't order very many.

What's the exit angle on the BA?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.