homemade double-sided PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
acenovelty said:

Being old don't make one smart, we just made more mistakes to learn from. Fortunate to come from a line of people who knew: make things, make do or do without.
Using computer software to create a layout is a great tool. Hand drawing it on acetate teaches a different lesson.

Amen to that....the trade has changed in such dramatic ways, I don't think the younger ones can understand....
for better or worse, I'm not quite sure..really cannot make up my mind
( BTW - I'm 53, if someone wondered...grad'ed in -75 )

better or worse...........hmmm
Relative terms needing the modifier "than xxxxxx" after each word.
Since the www sprang up, it's much easier to google it or post a question "than to logic it out". My granpa called that lazy thinking. Nowadays it's called instant gratification. Difference is owning the answer rather than just getting the answer. A concept foreign to the younger crowd.
Don't matter that someone else figured it out before. What matters is you know how to figure it out on your own.

AuroraB said:
I've been hand soldering for almost 40 years now, and I truly fail to see how it can be awkward to solder both sides of a
<snip>

The heat is a minor problem - assuming one has aquired basic soldering skills and good tools - a normal solder joint should take no more than 2-3 secs to complete. It is also common practice in prototyping these days to hand solder SMD's, SO's, QSOP and a lot even worse....
It does require a steady hand and lots of patience..don't rush it...
If you don't feel you master the "art of soldering" - please collect some info and practice before you waste your money on expensive parts..

Howdy - my comments were based on my experience with the kids here at the Uni. Putting feedthrough holes away from that $$$ part usually turns out to be a good idea, inasmuch as many have had only months to 1 or 2 years of experience doing very little solder work.

I certainly agree with getting the proper experience!

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.