Home theatre speaker question 7.1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Just a query regarding the importance of the rear effects and the surround speakers
We have only 6 of the Sansui speakers with the 155mm woofers and decent tweeters so we'd be a speaker short for 7.1 surround sound
If we decide to upgrade the HT Receiver which speakers are more important if we can't have them all the same?
These Sansui sets were great for 5.1 Dolby matrix and are the baby brothers to the Hi-Fi speakers that Sansui used to sell, the surrounds are OK for computer use so won't go to waste
I can't remember what model these speakers are but when i find them i'll post the information

Your description is a little confusing for what you already have.

Are those 6 Sansui identical with the same "155mm woofers and decent tweeters"? How were they used in your 5.1 setup?

For either the 5.1 or 7.1, you need to have a subwoofer. Do you have a decent one that goes deep enough in bass and match the fronts well in sound quality? Do you listen in 2.1 when listening to really high quality music instead of theater surround?

Generally speaking, I will consider the front two and center speakers the most important. Get the best you can afford and put them there. The surround, back and back center speakers are a little less demanding. The exisiting Sansui may be suitable for these purpose.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Sorry fellers
My first set of HT speakers were this "Set" of Sansui speakers.
Typical 1990s array with big main speakers using a 155mm woofer and a 25mm silk dome. a twin woofer front using the horizontal MTM using 110mm woofers and a 20mm silk tweeter with the surrounds being using the same little 110 woofer and 20mm silk tweeter in MT vertically

I've never been happy with the audio balance; to me the sound is always much clearer when all speakers are exactly the same
I've just bought another set of these Sansui and have 6 of the main L&R units

Not enough speakers for 7 channel audio

Attachments

• DSCN0547.JPG
    DSCN0547.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 164
  • DSCN0548.JPG
    DSCN0548.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 168
  • DSCN0549.JPG
    DSCN0549.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 165
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I'm using the old surrounds for my computer speakers and up close they are OK when driven with a clean amp; in this case the little Alesis RA 100, SWMBO uses the same little speakers for her computer but with the added passive first order sub under her desk

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
So back to the question
Do I stay with 5.*** or update the amp to 7.*** and try and find one more matching speaker or is it "OK" to substitute a pair of something with a similar timbre; FR&C will all be the same Sansui large; in which case which of the 4 remaining speakers is the best to substitute?
The surrounds or the rears??

Also these speaker drivers have identical dimensions to the Peerless they look like and quite big magnets etc and potted caps not cheap electrolytic capacitors.
Sold for $400- a set in 1999 until Sansui went belly up here and they were cleared out at $199- which is what I paid

Last edited:
Moondog55,
If you can find the speakers, look for two more of the MTM centers for the front three. Set a pair vertical, one horizontal (all ear level), then you'll have a noticeable improvement/upgrade.
Also there will be plenty of speakers to go around for the 7.1.

Last edited:
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
If you're asking about the Importance of using rear speakers, I have a strong opinion that while watching a flat screen, sound coming from the rear doesn't make any sense..:)

?
you will need to explain that one to me Joel
Rear speakers in my set-up are behind the seating, surrounds are level with the seating and the other speakers fire towards the seating area.
Where else would you get the spatial information about attacks/explosions/ crashes etc from the back??

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
@keilau we listen to music in a separate stereo system [ 4-way tri-amped]
7 small subwoofers [ 10 inch and 150 watts with the normal +3dB at 30 Hz] 4 in front facing forward and the other 3 scattered to where the overall bass is sounding best and all go deep enough to meet THX requirements and total SPL is sufficient
Subs are cheap units but compact and i do have bigger but they take up far too much real estate

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I could imagine using speakers that involve the room. Hearing the back of the room and a rear soundstage together could be confusing. On the other hand I've heard that dipoles could make a better choice for the sides.

Questions like this I think are even more important than the choice of 7.1 or 5.1

@keilau we listen to music in a separate stereo system [ 4-way tri-amped]
7 small subwoofers [ 10 inch and 150 watts with the normal +3dB at 30 Hz] 4 in front facing forward and the other 3 scattered to where the overall bass is sounding best and all go deep enough to meet THX requirements and total SPL is sufficient
Subs are cheap units but compact and i do have bigger but they take up far too much real estate

So for music listening, you use a 2.7 setup (2 4-way front for stereo plus 7 small sub)? I would say very interesting setup indeed.

Looking at your Sansui pictures, is it true that the closed box surround have lower efficiency than the larger vented fronts?

They don't sound as good as the bigger units tho
I've tried that setup F R & C already and wasn't impressed after listening for a while

If I do use them in the new set-up where would you recommend?

I suspect that the problem is in the setup more than the speaker. Does your surround processor or A/V receiver come with Audyssey? If it does, the system will automatically adjust the individual speaker level during calibration. Older system will require you to adjust by ear during speaker test. (I actually trust my ears more than the Audyssey.)

Also, if you do not use a sub for this HT setup, make sure to go to the speaker setup menu to set it as 5.0 or 7.0. Otherwise, the processor will not feed the bass signal to the speakers, which was routed to the sub only in 5.1/7.1.

Good luck. Let us know how you final setup is.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
?
you will need to explain that one to me Joel
Rear speakers in my set-up are behind the seating, surrounds are level with the seating and the other speakers fire towards the seating area.
Where else would you get the spatial information about attacks/explosions/ crashes etc from the back??

I know a lot of people enjoy the rear sound so who am I to say, but I feel Localized sound coming from rear is out of place with a 2 dimensional picture.. If we ever have Holographic imaging all around us then it will make sense..

Center is great to hear dialogue clearly and follow the story line.. Discrete bass, amazing when its controlled, dynamic and uncolored - to let the recorded bass colors come through..

Looking at a flat panel and hearing all in 2 channels and there is a sound from out of the picture, my brain takes care of where the location is in a more appropriate way than using rear speakers, IMO..

In my list of things, planning to set up a real nice 3.1 system.. Like to design a Small Sub, like type used in NHT XD, class D amp for bass, etc..

If you're asking about the Importance of using rear speakers, I have a strong opinion that while watching a flat screen, sound coming from the rear doesn't make any sense..:)

Hi,

It makes perfect sense in terms of a soundfield, what you can
hear is not determined by what you can see, and ignoring the
rear channels in a mix meant to include them is a bad idea.

e.g. take the classic car chase scenario, the hero is in a Ferrari,
for in car shots do you want to know if the engine is in the back
or not ? I could come up with loads of other examples, like the
echoes in a warehouse, a car driving past you on a road etc.

I know most systems support a 2.1 mix, but a 3.1 mix ?

rgds, sreten.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Try the rear and the surround speakers at 6 feet hight and do not point them to the seating place, but straight into the room.

Yes Thanx for reminding me to buy more brackets
yes the larger speakers are naturally louder, much louder in fact; although I haven't measured them and lost the documentation about 3 house moves ago.
The little surround speakers are actually vented, to the back but they sound better sealed and that's what I've done by stuffing the vent tube with compressed polyfill and using some fibreglass in the boxes
I wish I could remember the Sansui model number for this series; if I could find the large Fronts it would make things a lot easier for us
@ kielau Music is totally separate and only Stereo subwoofers.

Picture is of the music speakers System description was posted last year
4-Way .. Vifa plus CerwinVega subs

Attachments

• IMG_0390.jpg
    IMG_0390.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 82
Only7.1? Haven't graduated to Atmos yet :D
In the compromised real world in which many of us live, 5 can be a tough squeeze - but what's it up to now- 12.2 or some such silliness? WTF are all those gonna go?

It makes perfect sense. Otherwise, how are they going to sell more speakers? And the "professional installation" that comes with it? This thread is on the subject of "home theater". There is no limit on what kind of sound effect one wants at home. If you read some of the posts on this thread, "more is better" is common among those who has the means.

For me, 2.1 is perfect for music enjoyment. 5.1 sounds fun watching movie. I have not find reason to go further yet. But it is just me.

I am pretty silly myself in other area. My wife asked if I can get a better looking vinyl setup (instead of the antique looking Thorens TD-125, Grace G-707 and Dynavector Karat Ruby). I told her that it would cost $4K minimum and can go as high as $40K. The conversation ended quick. (I am not going to touch those shiny looking Japanese turntables. Yes, I am biased and a little silly too.)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Well if I was using 3" full range drivers in tiny boxes there would be plenty of room for 12.2
As it is I'm pushing the WAF envelope with SWMBO pretty hard.
Girls have some trouble with the concept that a "Small" box as big as a fridge is considered compact for a 15 inch woofer
We'll stay with 5.1 then in the short term and I'll keep looking for the F&R big brothers with the .5 woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.