Holton's AV400

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
PCB Files

bigpanda,

I was wondering if it is possible to have the files you used to create the PCBs. I am considering trying the AV400, bit may want to make a few "test" modifications. You board design is excellent with extra holes for different size devices. The only drawback is I have a perrference to have half of the output devices on one side of board and the other half on other side. My reason for this preference is to avoid the concentrated "hot" spot of the output devices and to enable use of two heatsinks.

CAn you also ask the software to indicate what the length and width of the board is when it produces the image of the PCBs? If so it is helpful to have in case some of us have problems printing the image due to differences in software/printer DPI scaling.

I am curious, the parts silkscreen is in a light green colour that makes it hard to read due to the light green. Is it possible to ask the software you used to draw the PCB to use a different slikscreen colour? If so it might be helpful to post the PDF with silkscreen with perhaps a black, dark green, or some other dark like colour to better enable reading the silkscreen.

How have you found listening to the AV400 now that you have used it for a few months? Is it true one needs to "burn in" the devices before one can truely know how well an amp such as the AV400 reproduces the music?

Regards,

John L. Males
Willowdale, Ontario
Canada
17 December 2004 05:22

Hi John,

The color was set that way is that it will produce a printout that is easier to read when using a monochrome printer. I need that print out to check the board for errors.

When I am printing out for making films, heat and peel stuff etc.. the software can produce a B&W copy of the layer in question. The only time the software will blow up is when I need a B&W copy of the bottom resist (I am still stuck with this and the software developer shows no interest to solve it, d***.) I have been making single side PCBs only, so the layers I am talking about are the top silkscreen, the bottom trace and the bottom resist.

The grids at the edge of the board marked 1,2,3.... are in inches. Print it out and measure them. If they matches your physical rulers, your print out should be in the right scale. If you tried to print out the PDF files that I posted, you can use a 100% scale. One thing I have to remind you, the file with two layers are not for production, just for checking.

As for the sound quality, I'm not qualified to comment. The best amp. I am having at this moment is a AKAI AM-M939 and the speakers I cannot even see the brand name. I don;t have the dedicated cd for testing (I know there are some available but as long as I am still stuck with my present speakers, it's not worth buying those). All I can tell is that it sounds better than my AKAI.

I learned about the extra holes in the hard way. When I was doing my last amp. (actually my first one) I had so much trouble with mis-size components (usually the caps) that I almost failed. So from then, I would cater some extra space (and holes) for them for all my drawings.

Keep in touch and let me know how are you proceeding.

One last thing : is Crescent High still in your area? That's where I go to for my grade 13. I haven't been to Canada for over 25 years since I finished at UT in 79. Time just flies by.

Hi John,

I forget about the 'burn in'. All I have done was just using the amp for over 48 hrs. non-stop, monitoring the temperature of the devices. Since I don't have anyting rather than my speakers, I cannot run the amp at full-load, not even quarter load. All I can do is crank up the voloume as far as my ears (as well as my neighbour's) can take and fed music from my computer for 48 hr non-stop. It shows no sign of thermal run-away . I will try getting more equipment when I am finanically better

bigpanda said:
Hi John,

When I am printing out for making films, heat and peel stuff etc.. the software can produce a B&W copy of the layer in question. The only time the software will blow up is when I need a B&W copy of the bottom resist (I am still stuck with this and the software developer shows no interest to solve it, d***.) I have been making single side PCBs only, so the layers I am talking about are the top silkscreen, the bottom trace and the bottom resist.

The grids at the edge of the board marked 1,2,3.... are in inches. Print it out and measure them. [snip]

As for the sound quality, I'm not qualified to comment. The best amp. I am having at this moment is a AKAI AM-M939 [snip]. I don;t have the dedicated cd for testing (I know there are some available but as long as I am still stuck with my present speakers, it's not worth buying those). All I can tell is that it sounds better than my AKAI.

I learned about the extra holes in the hard way. [snip]

Keep in touch and let me know how are you proceeding.

One last thing : is Crescent High still in your area? That's where I go to for my grade 13. I haven't been to Canada for over 25 years since I finished at UT in 79. Time just flies by.

bigpanda said:
Hi John,

I forget about the 'burn in'. [snip] I will try getting more equipment when I am finanically better

Hi Bigpanda,

I know that problem about software all too well. Why I have switched to as much open source software as can, as source code available helps avoid lock in, and someone can usually fix issue even if one cannot.

Shoot, I saw the numbers, but thought was a grid reference like a make grid, not a scale. Great then I am fine, except of might be able to have the drawing file or gerber file for.

Glad you are happy with the amp. Just an aside, you be amazed how much better a better input source like the CD you make reference to. Believe it not the two areas biggest bang for buck of improvement vs dollars is input and speakers. I lucked out on a turntable with tonearm of my dreams, though my amp and spakers are noting to remark about. The difference was staggering despite the speakers and amp. My preamps are quite decent. Most electronics does fairly good job, despite what people say. Sure amps and preamps have impact, but most cost much more (if buy) than what gain verses speakers, turntables, CD players, tuners, tape decks. They have a mechanical element amps do not that has big impact, and passive speaker crossovers are well known to be challenge. Just something to think about. If something you can get and is what you want, then get it. It will sound much better even on parts of your system you do not feel are all that great.

Excellent thinking and being practical about teh extra holes. So many boards made by those on here do not account for desire or fact have to use some different part.

At moment I am doing alot of math on output driver specifications. I started thread to collect thermal performance of built amps to get idea or real world operating temperatures as so man have tried to over rate and overbuild heatsinks and foudn still short. The AV400 is one choice, problem with it is output devices are not as close in specs as people think. Also seems AV400 can be challenge as you found, but once works is great. The best choice I have for the AV400 is IRF630 and IRF9630 believe it or not. There are a few N-Channel amps that would be ideal for a wider range of devices, but most are asymetric. Ther is alos a 270 Mosfet design called Postykit, similar to AV400, but still complimentary pairs needed. Ther is a N-Channel amp by Lars, but he seems unwilling to allow a netural device on upper rail to avoid the asymetric character it has. Parts for AV400 are available locally so that is great. Just not all my other IRF device choices. I picked up 2 tortorid transformers last week. Excellent for tweeter amps, 4 selerate 15V secondaries a side for 10.00 new, 225VA. I should of picked up the 1000VA 42V or 44V ones, only 22.00 each. Was not sure needed, but could of lived with I suppose at that price. AS I see it I need 35VAC for about 120W if not active amping, and 32VAC to 15VAC for active based system. Target is 100W woofer, 60W Mid and 20W for tweeter. I start with nonactiver, but want to reuse transformers so have picked my end targets to work from later when upgrade. Still deciding how to build or source case will need. May build some mini Alephs, just class A draws alot of current and I only have on 15A circuit in my apt to use for amps.

You know to do a amp burn in you could choose to use very high wattage resistor and connect speaker output to the high power non-inductive resister and then play amp though it, no noise and if can find enough parallel resistors of high wattage can do quite nice I suspect. Just a thought from a non engineer type.

I have not heard of Crescent High. I know alot of schools as result of my past life in pools, basketball, schools with IBM real commercial computers liek we had in school (long before PC, used keypunch cards) and swim clubs. Where in Toronto was Crescent High?

In case I do nto have chance before the holiday season, all the best to you and your family for season and new Julian calendar year.

Regards,

John L. Males
Willowdale, Ontario
Canada
20 December 2004 00:05
20 December 2004 00:08 (forgot the burn in part)

Hi John,

I know the way to burn in the amps by using the resistors but I had no intention to do so. I was 'brave' enough to plug to the speakers after I checked all the voltages and currnet with the multimeter. If the speakers really get blown away, I would have a good excuse to get myself a new pair. "Please do not imitate these acts unless your intention is like mine."

Seems you have a good bargain on the transfromers. I have to pay much more for them here. I wish I could get a good price for them too. I had mine for over US100.

Crescent High is (or was) near York U. campus. It's on Bayview Ave. and near Lawerence Ave.(if my memory did not fail me) You said you use punch cards do you? Guess you are in the same generation as I am. I never have the chance to use terminals but I know some of my classmates do. PCs? They were launched 2 years after I finished my degree.

Seasons greetings to you too. Has it snowed in your place yet?

Enhanced PCB Silkscreen

Hi Bigpanda,

Actually I was not aware a "common" practice was to use a dummy load resister to enable an amp to be burned in. I am not ready for a "burn in" for a while yet I suspect.

The transformers I picked up were brand new and never used. Seems types like this new are about $80.00 Cnd, and I found two for $10.00 each. Should be good for tweeter amps, though they have too much VA overcapacity for tweeters. Oh well! :) The 100VAC 44VAC and 48VAC secondaries were a steal at $25.00, but seems good I held out and not bought. I do not think I need even close to the 200-250WRMS these would be able to produce. On second thought, might be good to have pair for testing amps at that level so I can measure the circuits before I downscale the driver board of amp to my modest 75-20WRMS needs.

I could not read the silkscreen overlay of the comcu.pdf

<http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=457439&stamp=1092530765>

from Post #13:

<http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=457439#post457439 >

I was ambitious and attached is a PNG version at 300DPI where the silkscreen is black and the trace in it is a bit lighter than the original. For some reason when I create a PDF of it the image goes all fuzzy. Should not happen from a .PNG that is lossless image file. I will see if I can sort this PDF fuzzy result later. In meantime thought this would be much easier to read that the light green overlay ;) for those interested. The attached PCB is a converted version of the original you posted. Was that posted PCB you made ok, as in no errors? If there is a later version I be happy to convert the silkscreen the like I have for this attached version. Just post if later version and I will convert.

I was wondering if I could have a copy of the file(s) this PCB is stored in? I have need to make a narrow 1 pair and 2 pair output driver version. The transformers I bought allow me to have at least 4 amps in a case. I suspect I can put as many as 8 amps on one of these transformers based on their VA and amps bing 20WRMS single pair drivers. The current PCB will not allow me to place 2 or three boards side by side. It is otherwise easy enough to use a 4 pair driver board with 1, 2, or 3 driver pairs. I just like to reduce the endge space to allow2, 3 or 4 boards with drivers a side of case. Not to worry I will ensure required heatsinking for number of drivers and wattage driving.

Do you still have to fan cool your AV400 or did you find the source of the heat being generted? I suspect you not need a fan to cool unless very small heatsinks, some sort of loop/ground loop noise being fed back to gain stage.

I am also curious if anyone or yourself can give me guidance what type of caps to use where? For example where it use silver mica, MKT, ceramic, etc? Caps always seem to be a challenge to choose which type/make where.

I know the Bayview/Lawrence area well, but not the schools or side streets in area. I know where the Glendon York U campus is as well as Sunnybrook, Granite Club (had CASA swim club), etc. Nice area.

We had a tad of snow overnight last night. A bit less than 2cm, seems will warm up and melt that little bit before Christmas. Darn. Seeing as you not been here for about 25 years, winters in city have really changed to 25 years ago. Much milder, most snowfalls skip about the city entirely now, any that falls melts in short order. generally temps ate about -5C now not the -18 typical of 25 years ago. Sunday temperatures dropped to -30 for about 20 hours. Two years ago we had lots of snow, that alos stayed on ground for several weeks, as in foot or more stayed on ground. Cold winter people said, but compared to 25 years ago still mild, but was coldest winter we have had in about 20 years. Temps averaged about -14C most of that winter.

Regards,

John L. Males
Willowdale, Ontario
Canada
21 December 2004 18:54

Attachments

• av400_comcu-blacksilkscreen.png
    av400_comcu-blacksilkscreen.png
    95.5 KB · Views: 890
Hi John,

Sorry, I've been away for a while.

I had no idea what a .png file or how you create it. This new one may be easier to read.

If you want to modify the layout, I thought you might as well start your own layout. The software I had was a paid one and the evaluation version cannot handle my drawing. If you use the double-layer drawing as a guide to draw your own, it should not take you too long. Speaking of PCB laying software, which one are you using ? (I had a high intention of dropping mine)

The heatsink I used for this project was a left-over and the size is not too promising. I had a couple of those 8cm computer fans lying around so what the heck!

I use ceramic caps for C4,C7, the rest MKT (of course except for the elec.)

Crescent High was on Bayview Ave. near to Lawerence Ave. The first bus-stop on Bayview north of Lawerence is right outside the school. I use to work part-time in a restuarant called 'Sir Steer Steak Tarven' on Bayview Ave.. Wonder if it still exist? The owner's name was Dominic (Greek) and his wife Irene(French).

Today is freezing here, in fact the worst New Year in the past 40 years. The lowest is only 3C and at some higher altitude (which is only about 2 miles from my home) it is -2C Without heater (not common for homes) in the house, this could be hell.

1 Jan 2005 16:00

Attachments

• av400.pdf
    79.3 KB · Views: 448
Hi bigpanda,

Not to worry you have been away. I been a bit out of things for few days due to a serious fall I took the evening of 23 December 2004. I had to go to hospital on Christmas day as the injury was getting way out of hand and I had no idea if I had cracked ribs or other seconday effects to my spine as a result of fall.

Not to worry about creating a .PNG file. I was just unable to create a PDF of the edited PCB I posted due to some sort of resolution problem in converting the .PNG to a PDF. An issue that should not happen. Basically a .PNG is like a .GIF excepta .PNG is an open standard, unlike .GIF which Unisys has tried many times to collect royality fees for use of or creation of .GIF.

I had actually thought of using the modified image I posted as basis for Holton's N-Channel amp that I happened to discover the schematic for about a week ago. I like the design for its simplicity and that one is not using P-Channel devices at all in the design. In a design like the AV400 the power handing or "Character" of each side of the signal is different due to different devices. Even so, I still was interested in the AV400 to compare to the Holton N-Channel. I decided the best way to solve my need of the AV400 layout was to simply split the AV400 board in two. The split can be done very easy due to the board design you made. I just split the board at the 2 inch point between output devices and "driver" board.

I spend much time by hand using a graphics program creating a PCB for the N-Channel version of the Holton amp. It is ok, but not as compact as the AV400 board you created. I will take a harder look at the AV400 board you created and see how well I can adapt it for the N-Channel amplifier. You did very fine work on this AV400 board, bigpanda.

I use Linux so my choices for PCB design software are limited. Eagle makes a Linux version of their PCB EDA software. I thought great, can share files with Windows users as well. Downside is the software is buggy, and the the free version does not have routing. That was few days ago. Last night by luck I discovered another EDA program that isis made for Windows and Linux. Sadyly it is buggy, and has routing abilities I believe. Its limitation is it will not produce any output drawing, gerber, etc files in demo mode. Being buggy and with design issues I not be too excited to purchase it. The Open Source EDA tools are just not mature as yet. I tried a few Linux based CAD programs for a variety of non electronics needs over last few months. Buggy, is basically how describe them sadly. With a standard CAD it would be easy to do manual PCB layout. Just create rtemplates for each type of part, lay out the parts on one layer, do the routing on different layer, silkscreen on anohter, and if one wishes two copper layers can have CAD layer for each. Makes easy to make change to one layer first before change other layers. You are a Windows user no doubt. There are many choices for PCB software that I cannot look or try as I use Linux. Just hunt about for them to see what you like and try it with the AV400 again just to see how well the software works and enable you to compare the shortlist of choices you have interest in.

Interesting you used MKT caps thoughout except for C4 and C7 which were ceramics. Most seem to say avoid ceramics as much as possible. Any specific reason for those tow being ceramics? Interesting you chose not to have C2 some special type, forgot name off top, by many like this large white round cap as a C2 like cap on most amps, not sure but thing they call this a DC blocking cap such as C2 is in the AV400.

Crescent High is north of Lawrence on Bayview? I should know of this school even if do not know the name of the school. That was a route taken at least once a month for few years when family drove to family in Don Mills. Was the school on east or west side of Bayview? Maybe the building I am thinking of, if on east side, is now a place for National Film Board of Canada. That building seems to be old large stonned construction if I recall.

Well it stayed cold from Christmas Eve morning until Tuesday or so. We had a rare white christmas in the city, as in we had snow that covered everything, in fact about 10cm of snow was on ground by evening of Thursday before Christmas. So nice to have it cold and to have fresh white snow on ground for Christmas.

At least you are not affected by the earthquake and tidial waves that resulted from the earthquake that has killed many tens of thousands. Just find some warm pants and few layers of shirts or sweaters for the cold weather for the moment. It may be unusual cold there for now, but at least it is easy to add layers of clothing to keep warm.

Regards,

John L. Males
Willowdale, Ontario
Canada
01 January 2005 09:02

Hi John,

Sorry about your fall. I hope you are getting better. What actually happened? It must be some kind of fall to break your ribs.

The reason for the ceramics was that I cannot find MKT with such small values (at least locally). I think I know the kind of cap (C2) you are talking about. They are of gigantic size!

Crescent was on east side of Bayview. I cannot remember if it is a stonned construction for that was like 30 years ago. There was a football field there but it might be something else now. What about the restaurant? Its way south of Lawerence north of the cementery (maybe north of St. Clair) and on west side of Bayview. I still remember when I ride my bike passing the cementery when I was off from work at 22:30

If you like to keep in touch and talk something off the topic, send me a email

tony_chan_cf@email.com

Looking foward to your recovery.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.