HOLMImpulse: Measurements in practice

I talked with his boss and confirmed that Ask is on another project. He may also have left the company. At any rate this is what happens when the software is free. I do not anticipate that it will ever be improved from this point.

I wanted to work with them to impliment my polar amp plotting directly into the program. Holm thought it was a good idea, but didn't have a programmer to work on it.

gedlee, just put a thread if anyone knows him here. He has really done a good job. Indeed the tool was gr8 but had few shortcomings. but as a free software and his efforts. that was really worth praising. I use this tool as a primary measurement tool.I liked it much.

I hope someone here knows him. and would be able to reconnect to him.

Hi I have set the software up on my laptop, is there a user guide to setting up where the mic needs to be , distance etc ? Do you disconnect one of the speakers to ?

It depends what you want to measure, really.

From here: Getting Started in DIY Speakers - undefinition

"But how do I measure?" is the question on so many intermediate speaker designer's lips. So far, I haven't found a decent set of instructions on the internet on how to measure loudspeakers that wasn't either confusing, or contained too much, or not enough information. However, there is an excellent book written by Joe D'Appolito titled Measuring Loudspeakers, which really fills you in on everything you needed to know on measurement, and also contains all sorts of interesting asides about speaker design. It does require a decent understanding of loudspeaker design, though--that is, you've read and understood Ray Alden's Speakerbuilding 201 and/or Vance Dickason's Loudspeaker Design Cook Book.

See here also:

Measuring Loudspeakers, Part One | Stereophile.com and

Zaph|Audio

Also helps to read the user manuals of various software; see the manuals and papers here Bodzio Software (for SoundEasy). And if you have Speaker Workshop, there's a complete walk-through of a speaker design example in the help files.

I realize this thread is sort of dead (as is the development of holm?) but I'm hoping there are still some experienced people following this.

What I'd like to know is how to organise my measurements. All the measurements slots have filled up and now I'd like to save a selection of the measurements to a file. Any way to do this?

My normal workflow involves measuring new drivers and I need a way to archive the old measurements in groups. Is there a way to do this?

I looked into the option 'organise measurements' but it does not seem to do anything? It's allows me to select the measurements I'm interested in but after I press 'OK' nothing happens?

Thanks for your time.

The book goes into GREAT detail on how to conduct the tests. Make sure the book comes with the supplementary material that was sadly left out of the book; what the tests mean.

How does one tell if the supplementary material is included? Is it a newer edition or does it include a CD or something. The ads on EBay and Amazon don't mention anything

I realize this thread is sort of dead (as is the development of holm?) but I'm hoping there are still some experienced people following this.

What I'd like to know is how to organise my measurements. All the measurements slots have filled up and now I'd like to save a selection of the measurements to a file. Any way to do this?

My normal workflow involves measuring new drivers and I need a way to archive the old measurements in groups. Is there a way to do this?

I looked into the option 'organise measurements' but it does not seem to do anything? It's allows me to select the measurements I'm interested in but after I press 'OK' nothing happens?

Thanks for your time.

You can save everything as a zip file. Then delete the records that you don't want in a group and move the ones that you do to the top in "organize". Save this new file as a zip file with a new name and in a directory that means somethnig. In other words use Windows directory structure to organize the groups of records. I have hundreds of measurements organized this way going back about 5 years. Now you can go back to the original zip file with everything and do the same thing for the next group.

Yes it's kind of what photoshop was. A big pain to organise all your photo's. But I realize the software was never ment for this.

If the source was available I'd change that. I would put all the measurements in flat files for easy access and compatibility and put all the meta data into a SQL database so you can search through your measurements on date/name/flags/group etc. Kind of what photoshop lightroom has done (combine a catalogue with photo editing).

I applied your method and immediately ran into a bug. If you remove measurements with the organise tool and then sort them on empty last, then the removed measurement re-appear in the list. Now I save them first, then sort and that works.

Hi guys. I bought M-audio fast track USB II sound card and Behringer ECM8000 mic. I can't seem to find anything about calibrating this particular sound card. I know i have to make loop so, as i understand it, i have to connect XLR input, where mic goes, to RCA output on the chanell that i use for measuring.

Now, XLR on the sound card have phantom power for mic that can be swiched off. I guess that i should swich off phantom and then do the loop calibration ? :D

The other thing that i don't know is how to make such cable to connect it. Which pins on the XLR maches RCA's pins ? Did anyone try to do this by himself ?

Any help appreciated.

EDIT: I found this. Can anyone confirm that this is the way to do it properly ?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, switch off the phantom power!!
You can build a TRS 1/4" (the big headphone connector) to XLR if you like. On the 1/4" plug, connect pin 2 of your XLR to the tip, pin 3 to the sleeve and ground (shield) to pin 1.
  • tip to XLR pin 2
  • Ring to XLR pin 3
  • Sleeve to XLR pin 1

EDIT: I see you added a drawing. Yes, that should work just fine for RCA to XLR.

But you really don't need to calibrate for most uses. The Fast Track is flat enough that it doesn't matter for speaker measurements.

Pano is correct, you only us two wires for the signal.
If you are using a shielded twisted pair then tie the XLR pin 1 to the shield and on the RCA Phono side do not connect the shield to anything otherwise you will be creating one big huge Ground loop that will act like an antenna.

Jer :)

Thanks Jer

Personally I prefer to not tie chassis ground to signal negative.

Some folks may find this useful:
Sound System Interconnection

ECM8000 cal files are here = you will have to join (FREE) to view them though...
http://www.h*m*t*h*a*e*s*a*k.com/forums/downloads-area/19-downloads-page.html

Hi Dan.

I've been reading about ECM8000 calibration and i see that many people use that cal files that can be found on the internet.

As i understand it, that file is average calibration from about 100 mics or so. Is it worth of risk to use it ? If that cal file is atenuating mic 3dB at 5KHz, mine could be flat in that area (i don't know, just guessing) so instead of making it flatter and better i am making it worst. I saw this picture and, frankly, it scared me:

ecm8000_frequency_response_large.jpg

That is how i understood it but i would really like to hear some of you guys that use this mic with that cal files and results of your measuring. I'm just beginning to enter in speaker measurement problems and solutions. Much of that is described and there is much more to read before i can get a firm grip of it.

I bought my mic few months ago and i've been reading since then. I see that some guys mention that older ECM's made before 2008 were better because Behringer used Panasonic capsule.

And yes, you can tell me when i'm babbling. I'll stop :)

Last edited: