• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Holiday S-5 K-12G

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
MassMat,

I tried to drill from the underside as much as possible, but I think some of my errors were in measurements, which I thought were exact, but perhaps not. The problem that I have run into is my RCAs and binding posts are on the ridges, so not only are they tilted sideways, but the added mass makes it difficult for the binding posts and RCAs to be mounted on such a thick baffle. I am forces to have ground loop. The outer portion of my RCAs must be mounted directly on the chassis without the plastic washer, this means that my RCAs will be grounded to my chassis which is may create a ground loop. I have a similar problem with the binding posts. Since they are on the ridges they are tilted and I'm afraid that the positive speaker terminals may slightly be touching the chassis. I have yet to plug in the amplifier since I had the problem connecting to the wall. I have to purchase more aluminium. As of now I'm taking my IB end of course tests, basically I have 14 IB and AP exams each lasting about 2 hours. This means my time is devoted to studying, and this weekend especially for my dreaded AP Physics exam :( .

I will post more details as soon as I get some more work done.

Thanks,

Josh

I went to my brother's band's last ever concert, they are graduating from college. At the concert I spoke to the sound man for a good 2 hours and I decided " **** it, I'm gonna ghetto rig my amp just so I can listen to it, I don't care anymore."

Well that was just what I did last night. I listened to it for about an hour last night before passing out and have listened to it all day today. All my hard tests are over with so I have quite a bit more free time now. After an exam today I decided to build a cheap little rack so I can listen to the new amp with my diy speakers. I then decided to make new speaker cables also. The rack is super ugly using scraps from the garage. I didn't have any pieces that were deeper than 9" and longer than 10" so it is ultra ghetto. I'm adding a top as well, my GC will be placed on the current shelf and the S-5 will sit on top.

The overall verdict is wow. Not only my girl friend, but my Mom even said "wow, it sounds much smoother." The 8 watts go a long way. I have yet to do major comparisons but it doesn't seem quite as detailed as the GC but I prefer the smooth sound over the GC. DC offset was measured and was about 1.3mv while my Denon is 10mv and my GC is around 5mv (can't quite remember). Once summer begins I will have much more time to finally complete the everlasting project.

By the way, since my preamp isn't finished (hopefully this weekend, but the last times I've said that it has't worked out) I'm using a discman. So I'm sure once my kook is build and I can use a real cd player it will sound even better.

Thanks,

Josh

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

edjosh23 said:

The overall verdict is wow. Not only my girl friend, but my Mom even said "wow, it sounds much smoother." The 8 watts go a long way. I have yet to do major comparisons but it doesn't seem quite as detailed as the GC but I prefer the smooth sound over the GC. DC offset was measured and was about 1.3mv while my Denon is 10mv and my GC is around 5mv (can't quite remember). Once summer begins I will have much more time to finally complete the everlasting project.

Josh,

Very interesting comments. I recently finished a LM3886 gainclone and have made initial comparisons to the K-12M.

Like you have found, I prefer the smooth sound of the tube amp, but the GC seems to be more detailed and has better bass response.

Cheers,
Gio.

If your resistors are still getting hot, I would reccomend upping the wattage on them, get carbon comp resistors, those are the brown ones. Their very cheap. If your power tranny is getting hot, I sugguest getting a slightly higher rated one, it sounds to me like its being unnessicarily taxed.

Btw, Nice soldering and component layout, although like he said the capacitors on the board may cause some unnessicary interferance.

Nice job! :) Its certainly better than my first working tube amp...

Attachments

• picture 010.jpg
    picture 010.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 194
GG,

When I just had the 3875 without the snubber bass output was similar to the tube, perhaps a bit more, but once the snubber is added it adds a tremendous amount of bass. BrianGT and I never did a comparison, but the Elnas he gave me migh have more bass than the panasonics.

ThSpeakerDude88,

Thanks, although this is my first tube amp it is my 4th amplifier (the first 3 were GCs). The traffos get hot, well actually only the power transformer, the output transformers don't even get warm. I haven't unplugged it, but I am using a DC blocker which should be cutting down on heat.

Thanks,

Josh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.