HLLY TAMP-20 with TA 2020 CHIP!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I made progress today with the HLLY T20.

I had left it powered on the last two nights, and that seemed to help it break in a little.

I started with the Samsung SMPS that came with it, very detailed and nice, it picked up all of the little details you want. On the down side it seemed yo lack the deeper blackness we like.

I then plugged in my other SMPS, that did produce more deep bass but then lacked the little details in there. Over all I like the Samsung better than my other SMPS, it has very nice WIDTH AND DETAILS in there, just not the deep black soundfield or it would be great.

So that lead me to my 12v 7ah battery. It was dead, all that time with the Sansui had killed it I guess. I took it in to Batteries Plus where I bought it, and it was indeed dead. So I picked up a new one! The HLLY sounds MUCH DEEPER with the battery! It is the best yet with the HLLY, however I did note that with the Samsung SMPS it did have more of the little details, but nowhere near the black deep soundfield.

A great Amp for $52 bucks. More as it continues to break in.

I should be able to take some pics tomorrow or Monday.

I wanted to post this a couple of days ago, but I got busy with other things.

My project HPM Pioneer 900's. I replaced the 12' woofer and had to build surrounds to mount them too because the hole was too big for the replacement woofers. The new woofers have excellent resolution, they have a freqency response of 16-5000. I hear a lot more detail than with the old stock woofers!

I also replaced the cone tweeter with a really nice 1" soft dome tweeter. I still need to "finish" the mount for the dome tweeters as the hole was round and I need to build a surround for that also. This was a huge upgrade from the crappy old cone tweeter. I have always liked dome tweeters the best.

The stock ribbon tweeter is wonderful and sails clear to either 35,000 or 50,000, I can't remember. It is very smooth and very nice, and I was really surprised how nicely the soft dome tweeter went with it! I was very happy.

The midrange is stock with Pioneer's POLYMER GRAPHITE cone with rubber surround. It's back is encased in a 4" deep case to isolate it from the rest of the internal speaker.

These speakers sound great, with great resolution and clarity!

I have more pics, it looks like I have to import them one at a time?

* IT WOULD NOT LET ME POST MY PICTURE, THE FILE SIZE WAS TOO BIG. NO GOOD!

Does anyone know how to get around this? Thanks.

Tripath07 said:

I have more pics, it looks like I have to import them one at a time?

* IT WOULD NOT LET ME POST MY PICTURE, THE FILE SIZE WAS TOO BIG. NO GOOD!

Does anyone know how to get around this? Thanks.

You can registor on www.photobucket free, upload all pictures there and under the picture click the image code box and insert the code here and this is how you can import a magnified version.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

this is my sure amplifier and zigmahornet speaker in my bedroom.

Usually I upload the smaller picture by adjusting the size in photoshop but I agree it is a pain.

gychang

Thanks gychang!

I will try that pic site tomorrow. I have about 5 or 6 pics of my basement system that I want to post for everyone to see!

I just got some new speaker wires for the basement system. As a result, I now have to an interesting new wire project to do. I'd like to get it done soon!

They are the Monster Z4 speaker cables. Another ebay purchase. :) I discovered that the "Monster pins" (system) HAD A LACK OF DETAIL, AND CRISPNESS. (My first time with Monster pins) I think it's having double contacts to screw together where you lose the detail. I tried the Z4 cables and was very impressed with the depth of sound, and the musical deep wide sounfield, but not the detail. So I unscrewed the flex tips off the master pins on the speaker end and just inserted the master pins to the speakers and there was a very noticable improvement in detail. I did not do the same at the amp with the banana's so there should be even more improvement when both ends are redone.

However, the pins are short and not ideal, and I need the banana's for my new amp, and flex tips for the Sansui 8900ZDB. Then I will be able to switch between both amps easily like I do now. So I will have to cut off the Master pin ends and install my Monster "quick locks" on these new cables!

I have the Monster 12 gauge time correct wires with the Monster "quick lock" compresson connectors on all my systems, and they work great. You hear all of the little Tripath details :). It will be interesting to do this modification to these wires and see what the sound is like when I'm done.

Tripath07

Tripath07 said:
dOING SOMETHING WRONG UPLOADING FROM PHOTOBUCKET.

You have to click the "Image code" and put that code in diyaudio post, I did this.

sansui2005.jpg

gychang

Thanks gychang! when you say click the "image code" just a with a single click? how does that get it to diy audio when you open up diy audio site and then click it in the main post area?

I was doing a ctr C ctr V with the image code into this post area.

I will try again tomorrow.

I'm starting the "NEW AMP" thread tonight!

It is a beautiful amp. :)

Tripath07

Tripath07 said:
Thanks gychang! when you say click the "image code" just a with a single click? how does that get it to diy audio when you open up diy audio site and then click it in the main post area?

I was doing a ctr C ctr V with the image code into this post area.

I will try again tomorrow.

I'm starting the "NEW AMP" thread tonight!

It is a beautiful amp. :)

Tripath07

when u click on the image code, it automatically puts it into memory, so open the diy post and Ctrl V works for me.

gychang

I've got great news to report about the HLLY 20. I've spent many hours now listening to it with the 12v 7ah battery and I am happy to report it is sounding great!

A couple of days ago I purchased a couple of larger clamps to clamp the contacts from the power cable to the battery. The ones I had were small and weak. They helped to make a much tighter connection to the battery terminals. That helped a little! Then yesterday I was listening to a CD enjoying the warmer deeper soundstage, but still missing some of the Samsungs dynamics and detail. It was then that I decided to go to the back of the HLLY and rotate the power cable connector that goes into the HLLY about a 1/4 turn. Hmmm I noticed a change in the sound. I got a little more dynamics and detail! One more little turn is where I left it, it's sounding great, it's sounding very nice!

The HLLY 20 is also now much better matched to my Paradigm Monitor 3's v3 in the master bedroom system than they were to my Pioneer HPM 900's. The HLLY 90 is happy driving them.

The HLLY 20 is now sounding GREAT! ONE thing that has stood out with both the HLLY 20, and the HLLY 90 is they LOVE to be turned UP LOUD. They both sound great cranked up!

Tripath07

The HLLY T20 continues to impress with the 12V SLA battery. It sounds great. I enjoy listening to it and it sounds the best cranked up loud with the battery. It's tough to get alot of time on it with the HLLY T90 driving the Pioneer 900's, and the Sansui driving my Paradigm's and Def Tech's in the office. But I do it enough to get my wife to tell me to turn it off the other day. :)

I still want the power supply that gychang and Ian recommended, but I have been up to other things with the HLLY T90 system lately. I will post more about the HLLY T90 stuff next week on that thread.

Triapth07

Hi, I've been spending most of my time with the HLLY T90 system and my Sansui 8900ZDB system. The HLLY T20 is still playing very nicely.

Ian, are you still interested in getting a Sansui 8900ZDB? There is one up on ebay that looks good. Let me know if you get it and I will point out some of it's features. I know you were looking for a good tuner, and the Sansui 8900 ZDB tuner is one of the best ever made.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-SANSUI-...s_R2?hash=item335577e08b&_trksid=p4999.c0.m14

Tripath07

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.