HLCM - Horn loaded compact monitor

It's part of a 28 deep by 36 ft wide basement that is semi open where the main "bunker" is 15 wide 28 deep with seven foot ceiling on a concrete slab where the bunker is cinder block with windows and an door that goes outside. Like most small rooms - Pretty problematic.I added a bunch of acoustic scatters recently and the room went from over damped dry to a nice warm wet sound. The bass is deep. powerful and dead on.

I forgot to mention - I also use what I call UB couplers - they are driven by a separate amp between 60 and 100hz. they serve as a base for the compression chamber of the midbass horn. In each sealed box is four mid efficiency 8" drivers wired in parallel and coupled to the floor. They have a voltage sensitivity of around 105 db without the room gain.. What they do is add the STING to the upper bass and smooth the transition between the 15's and mid bass horns.

These are really stunning in their range.

http://www.rcf.it/products/precision-transducers/low-frequency-transducers/l8s800

Also not too bad in the midbass horn but roll off starting around 300 Hz

Last edited:
Celestion midformat cdx14-3060

I always like the small format celestion drivers so now i have the mid format driver to evaluate.

this is measured in room 1 meter in ev keele conical expo 60 degree horn. big horns - i attempt to measure at axis 15, 30, 45, and 60 degree. not so easy

keele60 celcdx143060.jpg

and here at 30 degrees, probably what to expect at listening position

keele cel30 degree.jpg

this combo is a very high end upper midrange low treble system

keelecel.jpg

distortion is not too bad, real large format 4 inch drivers can be better bit this is much better than the be jbl 2435 and altecs 288, 291, 299 i have here

cdx1460 distortion.jpg

Last edited:
the 1.4 exit celestion in keele ev 60 big horn

cdx1460 distortion.jpg

an altec 299 1.4 exit in keele 60 - overall this is lower distortion than the celestion by nearly 10 db

altec 299 keele60.jpg

what i am listening to the d405ti 2 inch exit in jbl 2386 - in my system to 5k - very low distortion

d405 jbl2386.jpg

Last edited:
Hi POOH!
Compliment me for the good work done, and I would ask for advice considering her great experience in the subject.
I'm studying the possibility of building a two-way compact home speaker system, I've read the coupled Faitalpro HF146 driver + 18sound XT1464 horn, i would use it for the high cut at 5 / 800Hz 6db / oct. I would like to realize a minimal but effective system, above all in terms of quality rather than high sound pressure, sacrificing a bit to the extreme band. I want to point out that my dedicated end will be a jlh 15W / 8ohm class A SS. I would like his advice in the subject. Thank you in advance and cordially greeted.

leod

I always like the small format celestion drivers so now i have the mid format driver to evaluate.

this is measured in room 1 meter in ev keele conical expo 60 degree horn. big horns - i attempt to measure at axis 15, 30, 45, and 60 degree. not so easy

View attachment 615093

and here at 30 degrees, probably what to expect at listening position

View attachment 615094

this combo is a very high end upper midrange low treble system

View attachment 615095

distortion is not too bad, real large format 4 inch drivers can be better bit this is much better than the be jbl 2435 and altecs 288, 291, 299 i have here

View attachment 615096

Can you do the graphs at 5 Db increments please, I thought it is normal practice. don't mean to sound rude but for us newbies it is a bit distorting and the bigger the scale the better it looks. We all need a refrence to what is good n bad:sing:

Hi POOH!
Compliment me for the good work done, and I would ask for advice considering her great experience in the subject.
I'm studying the possibility of building a two-way compact home speaker system, I've read the coupled Faitalpro HF146 driver + 18sound XT1464 horn, i would use it for the high cut at 5 / 800Hz 6db / oct. I would like to realize a minimal but effective system, above all in terms of quality rather than high sound pressure, sacrificing a bit to the extreme band. I want to point out that my dedicated end will be a jlh 15W / 8ohm class A SS. I would like his advice in the subject. Thank you in advance and cordially greeted.

leod

Hello, i am unfamiliar and no experience with those drivers, horns or amplifiers.

dauumm... i should hang around here more. im horn now from >420hz
for new system i would like to go two octaves down.
as starter and compact size there was 135 hz Mid Bass Horn - The Paper Horn by Inlow Sound with that cheap 8pe21 innit. i dont know if i want to use that on midbass cause my midrange driver is more "badass" than this 8pe21.
You could throw me advice option for 100-500hz if you have something on your mind