Hivi M8a Subwoofer Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, I have been browsing the forum for some time now, and decided to share something I'm working on.

I am currently building a 2.1 channel system for my room, and the sub is on of the first things I am attacking. I decided to do a compound isobaric design to see how it performs compared to other setups I have tried with these woofers.

I am using 2 Hivi M8a mid-bass woofers, in a 1.5 cubic foot box (1.45 after displacement) It is vented with a 6 inch by 1.5 inch slot, tuned to about 33Hz. The box is made from 3/4 inch MDF, which I will never use again.. I will be finishing the box next weekend, which includes routing out the port, and rounding the ends, and the outside of the box. I haven't decided what I'm gonna do to it to make it pretty yet though, any suggestions?

I will be building a 120 watt amp to power this little beast, tinkering with the idea of making it an active sub. I haven't had any decent play time yet, listening to it with an LM3875 amp that clips at about 25 watts isn't doing it much justice...

I used WinISD to help with the design, I have attached a screenshot, and I have also attached a few shots of the woofer, and then obviously the box itself.

Attachments

• graph 3.png
    graph 3.png
    125.5 KB · Views: 322
  • DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    809 KB · Views: 314
  • DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    726.6 KB · Views: 310
  • DSCN9996.jpg
    DSCN9996.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 284
  • DSCN9997.jpg
    DSCN9997.jpg
    638.5 KB · Views: 289
I would have, but port length would have been too long in this small of a box with that size slot, and any smaller and the port noise would have started to become noticeable. I decided to just do a regular vented box in the end, as one of my woofers make an awful noise.. I think I damaged the voicecoil from when I got a little crazy with them in the last box (1/4 wave t-line)

Okay so I finally got the time to work on the sub some more, and this is where I am at.. I have yet to add any 45's, still have some more testing to do with foam/stuffing, and some more cosmetic work.

WinISD puts the -3dB point at just under 31Hz, and so far testing shows pretty close to that. I dont have any real equipment to measure it though.. So far it is matching with my mains fairly well, and can surely make things shake if you need it to.

I am debating between spikes or foam to isolate it from the floor, anybody have any advice there? More updates to come in the next few days.

Attachments

• DSC07158.jpg
    DSC07158.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC07159.jpg
    DSC07159.jpg
    526.9 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC07161.jpg
    DSC07161.jpg
    559.6 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC07165.jpg
    DSC07165.jpg
    571.8 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC07167.jpg
    DSC07167.jpg
    685.3 KB · Views: 127
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.