HIVI for DIY project?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,

What are your thoughts or experience on using the hivi M6N and M5N and M8N drivers as a 2-way or 3 -way speaker project?
Some people love them some not? Metal cone breakup a big issue? Crossover issues? Using soundeasy to design it!

Some people recon the drivers are hard to work with, some love them?

Please give me some straight forward advice regarding these HIVI drivers.

Thanks

I used two M8N as subwoofers in a BMW E46 (not exactly what you`re asking) and did not like them. I have not measured them as it had to hapen quickly but will share a few comments.

There was glue all over the surround and parts of the cone, like someone used a really big brush. The frames are stamped steel and it was thin, some other lower priced drivers use thicker steel. The overall build quality, except the glue phenomena, appeared in tact with their price. Cones looked beautiful.

Joined 2013
Paid Member
Both the M5N and M6N sound very good, especially for their price point. They will both have break-up since the cone is metal, but buy a robust tweeter and cross around 1,500 Hz with the M6N and 2,000 with the M5N and you can get a very nice design.
As far as the M8N, I thought it sounded good in a 3-way. If I remember, it requires a pretty big box (60L) to go vented and get low. But if you're not trying to get low 30's, you can have a much smaller cabinet design and still have very punchy bass.
I would got with M5N or M6N in a 2-way if it was me. 3-way are harder to design, much more costly for XO parts and if you have a sub already, no real need.

Google Paul C undefinition and he has a design called the Swope where he uses the M5A. Very nice design(s) and XO should give you an idea of how easy these HiVi's are to work with.

Last edited:
Both the M5N and M6N sound very good, especially for their price point. They will both have break-up since the cone is metal, but buy a robust tweeter and cross around 1,500 Hz with the M6N and 2,000 with the M5N and you can get a very nice design.
As far as the M8N, I thought it sounded good in a 3-way. If I remember, it requires a pretty big box (60L) to go vented and get low. But if you're not trying to get low 30's, you can have a much smaller cabinet design and still have very punchy bass.
I would got with M5N or M6N in a 2-way if it was me. 3-way are harder to design, much more costly for XO parts and if you have a sub already, no real need.

Google Paul C undefinition and he has a design called the Swope where he uses the M5A. Very nice design(s) and XO should give you an idea of how easy these HiVi's are to work with.

Thanks I think I'm going to try them. Breakup can be sorted with the crossover so should be all good. Just as long as they sound clean & crisp with a warm bass.

I would be looking at the M8a. With its highish qts would work quite well in a sealed enclosure of 21L with an F3 of around 60hz. This driver is capable of very extended range and would probably require a largish bass reflex enclosure of approximately 55L by my calculations for an F3 of 30hz.
Personally I have a pair of HiVi M12's operating in a 40litre BR enclosure, in a 3 way set up with a seas midrange and peerless tweeter. Crossover points are 400 and 3000hz. Very happy with the results. After extensive research, this was my driver of choice in the HiVi range boasting smooth, extended useable response up to 1.5khz. They possibly have a warm sound which would also be the case with the M8a's which boasts the same metal magnesium and aluminium cone. The build quality of these drivers is excellent.
Im a fan. Also have a look at some of the Seas prestige range. Great value

The yellow fiberglass cone HiVi would be the only I would consider. Otherwise there are just so many similarly priced drivers with easier-to-deal-with breakup and more advanced motors to use the metal cone ones the OP listed. They were neat for their time, but that time is long past.

Ive looked at the specs and its almost as if the yellow and black HIVI drivers use the same motor design?

Yeah motor is probably similar on both. But the fiberglass cone has a much smoother response. On the metal cone even if you sink the resonance, it is so high and so low that harmonic distortion will still excite it. I lived with some for years, and while for their time they could be alright, there is simply no reason to use them now given the competition.

I see from another forum you already purchased these? If that is the case then go ahead and use them, you'll have fun if you're new to DIY anyway.

Just be sure to notch breakup. should be fairly cheap and easy to do with a RC bypassing the first inductor. Set the R to 8 ohm and the C to .33 and see how it models.

So if I build a 3-way using the M8N as bass, M5n for mid and a tweeter to match, maybe a peerless then I should be good?

Should be fine. It'll be easier to use a smoother 5.25" but if you already have the drivers, the M5n is workable. Just keep an eye on the cone breakup.

I have a prototype of the M5a in a 2.5 format. Wonderful bass, considering they are only 5.25" mid-woofers.

Attachments

• HiVi_2p5.jpg
    HiVi_2p5.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 340
I see from another forum you already purchased these? If that is the case then go ahead and use them, you'll have fun if you're new to DIY anyway.

Just be sure to notch breakup. should be fairly cheap and easy to do with a RC bypassing the first inductor. Set the R to 8 ohm and the C to .33 and see how it models.

Im using soundeasy v21 to design the XO, ill post results when i have them mounted, but ill follow your suggestion, thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.