HiVi and Tang Band , That Good ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have you checked the reviews on zaph audio?
About the only place I know with good DIY driver reviews, I'd love to know too - tang band caught my eye a long time ago but seem a little 'too good to be true'.

I was thinking of some accuton 2-ways for my next build, but that's seriously costly...

I'm not sure you can say that with any confidence. For example if you look at Zaph's test of the TB W4-1337 (in the Small Driver Comparison), his results look very similar to TB's own published results (spec sheet from the Parts Express site). One place where many manufacturers seem to have "optimistic" results are with the T-S params. Zaph's results for this driver were off from TB's - he measured a Fs of approx. 85 Hz, compared to published TB param of 70 Hz.

One thing Scan Speak does that is better is that they also publish off axis SPL results.

Tang Band do use a very broad scale on their graphs compared to say Scan Speak, which makes the plot look smoother, but they are quite popular DIY drivers probably owing to good price/performance.

Don't you just luv the trix they pull? ;)
When I see that happening I'll open up my favorite image editing soft and resize the vertical scale. Badda Bing, Badda BOOM baby :D

Of course this doesn't help much if they use 3rd octave smoothing :rolleyes:

I luv the spec sheets claim an Fs of X and then look at the response graph to see where that peak is... Oh looky looky, it's out of tolerance with their spec sheet! That's when you know they cherry picked a driver or tested a preproduction driver and you can be sure the T/S parameters are off as well. Hopefully not too far off or off in a better way. Does that ever happen, not my experience.

B&C have accurate data.

Seems if one driver is flat they all need to be. Just maybe, different drivers can be curve fitted to make a fairly flat system. Probably best to start looking for a fit within a brand first. They may make easier to curve drivers to fit a hard to curve one. Say the tweeter has a dip on the low crossover side, they just happen to make a mid that has a hump on the high side. Stick 'em together and you get a flat combo.

Am I dreaming again ?

I suppose the yes on an IEC baffle answer looks good. But if the others are as bad as they show and are on a baffle, then only luck can toss toss you an adjacent stage driver with a curve that works together to flatten the spl.

Well, here comes DIY engineereing. Maybe start with quality (price based ?) drivers, put a 6db xover on, measure, then tune.

Now curves ARE a help in measure. Some show obvious sources of distortion, and I even see cheapo tweeters that have a ramped "curve" with oscillations on it, a peak, then another ramp with oscillations. I quickly left the page before I got one of those tempting special offers.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Seems if one driver is flat they all need to be. Just maybe, different drivers can be curve fitted to make a fairly flat system. Probably best to start looking for a fit within a brand first. They may make easier to curve drivers to fit a hard to curve one. Say the tweeter has a dip on the low crossover side, they just happen to make a mid that has a hump on the high side. Stick 'em together and you get a flat combo.

Am I dreaming again ?

yes, you are dreaming...btw what is your objective? are you for real? are you going to build something and then measure it or are you just making mambo jumbo post? what the heck? are you against any of those companies? have you made any decent speaker yourself? did hivi or tb let you down? wth wtf!

HiVi and Tang Band spl plots look nearly theoretical, then other brand, cheap, and even expensive ones show resonation, droop, peaks, anything but flat. I see a good price on a tweeter I might try so I asked before I got stuck with another trick. I can only pick it by web pages.

Take a look at all that fluff in the audio biz. 500 watt super tweeter, $12 pair. Free shipping ! At least that claim is outrageous enough to see from the start.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.