History question: Who made first deep bevels on speaker? Was it Genelec or Avalon or?...

I missed a chance to get the Angelus a couple years back... Anyway, I've been brainstorming the 32mm acoustic centers offset of Satori MW19TX-8/TW29R, stepped or sloped, rounded or bevelled (or OB or nude) or???

OT, but much easier to get decent results from fullrange -- last night I did tilted-back Tangband W3-871SC Haffler Differential 3.1ch 1ft "console", good width soundstage and even better depth.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Ah, fond memories of the earlier SC50, would have loved to have a chance to hear the Angelus.

View attachment 1275670

Heard them both. They were disappearing acts. Fantastic imaging.

In '89, I compared the TC50 with the Acoustic Energy AE1. I ended up buying the AE1s, better midrange, but the TC50 had deeper bass ( neither speaker was a bass king ).

Sure, you can note that the AE1s cost almost four times as much as the TC50s.... which just tells you how good the TC50s were, that they would stand up to what was, and arguably still is, the King of Soundstaging...

Remember this? https://www.stereophile.com/features/44/index.html

Last edited:
To be clear, facets are for diffraction and some directivity control.
Felt is for diffraction management.
Stepped/slanted baffles are for acoustic/time alignment.
To be clear, I was referring to one of Dave’s speaker designs that were named for their non monkey coffin shape. Much harder build than the curved wide baffle enclosures.
He’ll no doubt post pictures of both.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Facet-noDriver2.jpg

Facets-drawing.png

dave

Hey, finally I can post a pic of my non-diy speakers :D. Both on topic ;)! In 1985 Genelec released the 1022a, which has it all, timealigned, cutaway, waveguided active with ribbon tweeter. Here we see the beginnings of current Genelec products, but by 1985 this is mature monitor. I believe it participated in ending the in-house production of the monitors from my last post, NRK had quite a few black 1022b released 1987. The black is JBL's 250Ti, I believe released 1983. Mine is a later version, 1990. Only colour, one driver and crossover is different (AFAIK).
1022a_250Ti_BQ.jpg

JBL250Ti_left.jpg
Cut away... J. Gordon Holt didn't like it much :D https://www.stereophile.com/content/jbl-250ti-loudspeaker.
I'm considering converting it to active 4-way .....:unsure:

Dagfinn

(PS! Nice if you guys put production years on your wonderful contributions :).)

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user