Hirez SACD and DVD-A digital output for Pioneer DV-575A and DV-578A (dsd to pcm)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Still on my way

I am still on my way with this interface.

Currently I am working with a guy in the US on a PCB design. I hope in two or three weeks it will be ready. My plans are to market the board in Germany and he will sell the board in the US. He will receive the chips from me an I will receive its PCBs. So please be a bit pacient. We are on the right way but it is still a hobby so business come first....

Charly

Results

I like to give you an update of my work in progress regarding the hires output for the Pioneer player.

Finally I managed to get the PCB done! The layout file is on it's way to the production of two prototype boards. I guess they will arrive in two weeks for testing.

On the board I also placed an AD1896 (SRC). It provides a limitation of the output rate to 96kHz for units not equipped with a 192kHz input. The SRC is an option. It has not to be soldered in. The selection of the rate limitation will be done with a jumper on the PCB (limit to 96kHz or as is). The whole board is made for DIY so despite the CS8406 and the AD1896 there are no SMDs on the board.

I plan to sell the PCB in combination with the two programmed GALs and one CS8406. The price will be strongly dependant of the quantity of PCBs I order. So please drop me a line if you are interested. This will give me a better base for calculation.

Re: Results

oehlrich said:

I plan to sell the PCB in combination with the two programmed GALs and one CS8406. The price will be strongly dependant of the quantity of PCBs I order. So please drop me a line if you are interested. This will give me a better base for calculation.

I really am!

I was also wondering if it could be possible to use 3 boards in order to have a multi-channel Hirez output (3 s/pdif outputs in total)

Re: Re: Results

Michele Spinolo said:

I was also wondering if it could be possible to use 3 boards in order to have a multi-channel Hirez output (3 s/pdif outputs in total)

Yes ist is possible. All that has to be done is stacking three units and inputting a different SDATA signal. So all input pins of the board could be connected 1:1 except of the SDATA input. It has to be taken from the tree D/A converters.

On the series PCB I will include a direct S/PDIF for this

Re: Re: DV-585

dieringe said:

:D great!

but I still don't really understand the need for a GAL, the 8405 or 8406 are able to handle left justified format :confused:

The really tricky thing is to output ALL formats via S/PDIF. This is really not easy because the D/A is reprogrammed for each format by the player. The GAL makes a very tricky check of the format sent to the D/A in the Pioneer and sets the clock signals for the 8406 the way it works.

dieringe said:
I see...
But how are the 1742s DACs connected to this? They have to convert all types of signal? Is there a similar kind of logic on the board?

Another question: Where to buy the CS8405 or CS8406 in Germany?

I already ordered the 585A...

Well the 1742s are reprogrammed by their serial interface according to the signal delivered to them. The GAL checks some if the delivered signals to reconstruct the type of input sent to the 1742s and generates the clock signals out of this information.

For the CS8406 I have a dealer in germany. I guess I will deliver the board with this chip and the GALs.

DJNUBZ said:
Could you tell me how SACD sounds comparing the original analog outputs to the sound of an external DAC with this player?

The analog output of the Pioneer player is quite weak especially in the bass. This weakness results in its cheap price. Nothing was put in the player to get a really good analog output.

The improvement you get sending out the SACD signal in digital form only depends of the DAC you use. I use a DCX2496 from behringer and the difference between analog and digital output of the Pioneer is tremedous.

DJNUBZ said:
I have this player and I like it for the fact that it can play everything. Do you think it is worthwhile, possible to upgrade this unit (mad outputs, upgrade clock) to get a quality sound from the unit itself?

As far as I know a clock mod is a problem. The unit uses only one 27Mhz chrystal for the video section. From this clock the audio clock is derived via PLL. Looking at the schematic I see no chance to give the unit a better audio clock.

The analog output section coud be modded, power, OPs, damping and anything you like. Much effort could be put in but for what? I for my part believe it is best using the unit as inexpensive multiformat transport and get the analog signal out of a good external D/A.

That makes a lot of sense. Do you think that you will be able to bring this mod to a point where you could output 192k at 24bit?

*edit* I am a real newbie when it comes to all the inner workings of a DVD player. Would upgrading the video clock improve the PLL clock (I had to read up on what a PLL was). If not is there any way to upgrade the PLL performance? From what I have read it seems that PLL is prone to jitter problems.

Although this is an audio site do you think it would be possible to upgrade the video from this player as well? If an upgraded clock would improve the PLL clock, would it also improve the video as well?

DJNUBZ said:
Do you think that you will be able to bring this mod to a point where you could output 192k at 24bit?

If not is there any way to upgrade the PLL performance? From what I have read it seems that PLL is prone to jitter problems.

The mod already outputs maximum 192/24 if you have a DVD audio with a hires track on it.

I think there is no chance impooving the PLL performance.

Good News!

This is the PCB you all are waiting for!

I received it yesterday and tested it. Works great with some minor patches as you could see ;-)) (http://freerider.dyndns.org/anlage/images-Pioneer-DV575A-first-PCB/index.html - Server up from 8AM to 10PM German time)

The AD1896 is not yet soldered in. Maybe I will do it the weekend. This chip is for limiting the output sample rate to 96kHz for those not having a 192kHz input. If you have a 192 kHz input the AD1896 could be omitted as shown on the images attached.

At end of next week I will have all tested and the final version of the board in production.

I expect mid october the boards will be ready for shipping.

Simple version

I have a simpler version running. Cirrus being so complicated, I got samples from Texas Instruments and used their DIT4096.

Connections according to attached picture. The numbers at the SCK, BCK, LRCK and DATA arrows denote pin numbers of the sterero-mode-PCM1742 (the right-most) where they go to.
If you can't read something or have other questions, please ask.

5V-power I took from the bigger capacitor (1000µF,6.3V) which is C8029. I had to get a service manual because I made a very short short which killed a transistor in the power supply...

Now it's running very fine, and sounds much better through my own DAC, which luckily switches automatically between optical and coax-input, depending on whether there is an optical signal present.

CD output doesn't work through the DIT, maybe different data format? But DVD-Audio 24/96 works :)

Maybe I'll post a foto later...

Edit: I have a Pioneer DV-585A.

Attachments

• dit4096forsacd.jpg
    dit4096forsacd.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,453
Re: Simple version

dieringe said:
[CD output doesn't work through the DIT, maybe different data format?

It seems I was wrong, now it suddenly plays CD too!
All with one single chip! :D

Edit: I could connect the output of the DIT4096 to the cable that leads to the player's original optical and coax output, so now I have everything on the originals outputs!
:) :D ;) :devilr:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.