Hiraga "Le Monstre"

neazoi,
Teflon is an extremely good sounding dielectric material (in sharp contrast to ceramic), but for the speaker wire I would rather chose some type with massive screws. I would certainly use those tantalum resistors.
The 220 Ohm feedback resistors should have a larger mass, say corresponding to 2W power dissipation rating, in example two 390 Ohm 1W in parallel.

Lumba Ogir said:
The 220 Ohm feedback resistors should have a larger mass, say corresponding to 2W power dissipation rating, in example two 390 Ohm 1W in parallel.
Oh? can you explain why?
The outputpower is 8W... this is approx 8Veff to 8 Ohms.
Say i supply 8Veff to 220 Ohm, only ~0,3 Watt is dissipated in this resistor.
Is this a better-sounding- or stability issue?

Kees

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
neazoi said:
I have found some tantalum 0.5W resistors from china which cost about 4.50$ each and I was wondering if someone knows if there is a specific brand known for its good sounding properties or if these properties exist in all tantalum resistors.

Shinkoh NOS Japanese resistors are the creme of the tantalum crop. Not all, but some of their properties exist in other lesser realizations. What the others lose is mainly the Shinkoh coherence in tantalum tone. You can feel similar clean tone in metal based Caddock or Vishay even, as well as in other tantalum, but in a more disjointed outcome than with Shinkoh. What kind of tantalum have you found? Any link so to see about them?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Those you found look like the Audio Note OEM. They lag behind Shinkoh. In that case I would try TAKMAN. Good price carbon with good tech. I had a conversation with some friend that does a lot of evaluation and he told me that they fare better than AN tant for coherency. No direct experience by me yet, so take it with a pinch of salt.

salas,
I had a conversation with some friend that does a lot of evaluation and he told me that they fare better than AN tant for coherency.
I humbly tend to agree. I have not done comprehensive listening test on resistors, but my firm impression is that carbon is a better sounding material than metal. Carbon has, however, several flaws so the overall quality strongly depends on the brand.

Well it seems to be a confusion here, which is not only about resistors but generally about audio circuits. It depends on the listener and what he likes most. For example some prefer carbon composite resistors but the fact is that they introduce some amount of distortion which may sound pleasant to the ear but it distorts signal to some extend. This distortion may be more pleasant for guitar amplifiers but my personal oppinion is that it is not a good choice for this very neutral amplifier we are talking about here.
One has to decide between the accurate reproduction of music, or the pleasant distortions and tones of some components. From my point of view, the less components and the less amplifiyng stages the better the transparency and the approach to more accurate reproduction. In this context someone has to chose carefully the components he use because the sound depends on these components quite a lot, so there is a great area of discussion and listenning tests here.
So I think there is no great chance someone can really tell the difference between two types of resistors if he has not listened them in two identical amplifiers and setups that are different only by the resistors.

No, personally I do not have an oppinion about different resistor types that is why I am trying to get some help from experienced listeners before I spend some $$ for resistors.
I am just post this for the users to avoid judging a resistor type based on a non-newtral amplifier..

I have found a series of audio note tantalums and I was wondering if they have better musical properties than the Shinkoh ones.

well the problem is that I found these quite expensive so I do not have the ability to chose between different fets to match them. I know if anuthing else in this amplifier is not matched, at least these input fets have to be matched, but I may find some cheaper in future time to match them. I am always interested in two matched pairs if you could provide.

I am also thinking of separating the PSU from the amplifier, if not better, at least there will be no harm to do so. I prefer faving my PSUs on the floor and the audio parts above on the desk.