Hiraga "Le Monstre"

I usually buy my inductor, a value around 2mH normally does the trick. IIRC this value has also been used on some of Nelson Pass power supply. 30000uF - 2mH - 30000uF for the + rail and the same for the - rail using 2 bridge rectifier.

This is what I will use when I get started with this project.

Rgds,
Eric

Last edited:
I usually buy my inductor, a value around 2mH normally does the trick. IIRC this value has also been used on some of Nelson Pass power supply. 30000uF - 2mH - 30000uF for the + rail and the same for the - rail using 2 bridge rectifier.

This is what I will use when I get started with this project.

Rgds,
Eric

I agree for the Pass Amp Power supply.

But in class D or class T amplifier which has high current as well as switching frequency 250KHz-1200KHz, output LC LP filter with just L=33 µH, C=0.68µF can smooth anything beyond 33KHz. So why not here?
IMO 2mH is bigger value. little 100uH-500uH should do the job.

Last edited:
I think for the Monster these would work well
https://www.solen.ca/pub/index.php?...eau1=1&niveau2=4&niveau3=70&s1=2&s2=4&s3=&s4=
Solen electronics has up to 10AWG coils just way to expensive because the copper price.
I saw people used metal core inductors to.
If you can get second hand or wind yours that would much be cheaper.
The bigger the size of the coil is better.
Hard to say how many wind, wire thickness, coil size all ad up.

Greetings

Received the Jim's audio kits today.
each kit contains:
-- two Muse 47uf/50v electrolytic cap. Looks like the KZ series.
-- one 100 ohm trim-pot.
-- Four 2.2R resistors (parallel to make two 1.1 ohms I supposed)
-- one 250R resistor (feedback).
-- one 10R resistor.
-- one 1k resistor.
-- one 47k resistor.
-- four 2.2k resistor.
-- two 390R resistor.
-- PCB
-- 2SJ74/2SK170, BL grade.
-- A872/C1775
-- D716/D756
-- NJW0281G/0302G

Everything was in a clear poly bag (the FET pair wrapped in aluminum foil though).

So the FET's are BL grade. The original design used Y grade. Other than the different IDSS (which required changing resistor value from 1k to 390R, I suppose), what is the difference between different grades? Any perceivable difference in sound?

And if I like the Monstre and want to gather parts myself, what are the critical transistors that must remain the same? I suppose the FET's should stay the same models (otherwise everybody would have been using the replacement FET's by now), what else?