High value capacitor between Hot and Neutral at AC inlet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yeah; there's an X2 printed on the side of the blue boxed capacitor. Would it be safe to use this capacitor (not the 200 uF electrolytic) on my mixer PSU?

Yes those X caps are designed the bypass radio frequency noise. But for like $5 you can do much better. What I always use are these IEC power cord inlet sockets that have the X-caps built-in. They typically have three caps and an inductor. You need an IEC socket anyway so I just use the filter socket. These are better, don't cost much and you can even salvage them out of old equipment as they are widely used in old TVs, VCRs, old computer junk ans so on

Look at the schematic on this page.
ED Series
This circuit is built into the socket but you can DIY with the caps you have already. The one advantage of the socket over DIY is they are inside a metal can so the RFI never gets inside the your chassis. the can is a shield and only the cleaned AC is passed through.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.